Antec sonata 2 good?

Moloch

God of Wicked Games
Veteran
Since I've having stabilty issues I need a new PSU since apparently my 12V is being overloaded (atx 1.3 420 watt enermax psu) I was looking at individual PSUs but I see the sonata II has a 450watt smart power 2 in it so it has the pci-e power connector and atx 24 pin for my mobo.
But is it enough for a A64 winchester 3200+, 2x 512MB ddr, 3 hdds, 1 dvd writer and a 7800GT?
I'll also want to do some overclocking of my cpu and 7800GT.
At the very least will corsair say a 450 watt psu is enough to drive my system in case their memory still won't pass memtest86?
Nvidia says you need a 450watt psu for a 7800GT so it should be good, but I'm sure how good the smart power 2.0 is?

What's the 12+ amp rating? Antec makes a good power supply, I cant directly speak about the Smart Power 2.0, but I built around 25 rigs on the Smart Power 1.0 and its updates.

Skrying said:
What's the 12+ amp rating? Antec makes a good power supply, I cant directly speak about the Smart Power 2.0, but I built around 25 rigs on the Smart Power 1.0 and its updates.
15amps for the mobo and and 17 amps for the accessories, athough apparently the smartpower uses a shared rail design so all the rails tap the same source where as the more expensive truepower uses sepererate so using all the rails in conjuction results in reduced 12V capacity.
I did some research actually...
But if it works whatever.
As long as I have a 24 pin mobo connector for my mobo and a pci-e power connector so msi and evga and corsair can't say I have an old spec/ crappy psu in case it still isn't 100% stable.
It didn't work yesterday and today I just got it to work a bit ago, had to repair windows (bsod with normal boot but boots in safemode) but it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just built a system around the Antec Sonata II:

Asus A8N SLI Premium mobo (NForce 4)
AMD Athlon64 4200 x2 (dual core)
1GB PC3200 RAM
Leadtek GeForce 7800GT PCIe
1 IDE DVD-ROM/Writer
1 Seagate Barracude 7200.9 SATA HD (160GB)
1 Maxtor SATA HD (120GB)
1 Maxtor IDE PATA HD (120GB)
1 3.5 Floppy
Zoom PCI ADSL Modem
Creative Audigy4 OEM PCI Soundcard

The case comes with one 3-speed 120mm outlet fan (very quiet on low)

The PSU is ATX2.0 and comes with a 24 pin connector (you can remove the 4 pin connector for older ATX mobos). There's also another 4 pin connector that is plugged in elsewhere (that caused me lots of worries when I first forgot to plug it in!) It also comes with 1 PCIe connector for a video card. Then there's quite a few SATA power cables and some normal molex and fan connectors.

No problems with power that I have noticed (though haven't tested things thoroughly yet). I ran 3D Mark 06 fine and a few Sandra tests.

The case itself looks lovely - pictures do not do it justice (since most suffer from reflections). It's got a really professional coat of shiny piano-black paint and looks very classy (and not tacky like some cases!). If you have any more questions, just ask :)

I just put together a dual core opteron rig with this case, and it seems to work great. 2x 74GB raptors, but only a x800xl for a video card.

Back