Another reason NV30 wont make Xmas besides TSMC problems...

There's already something on this in the NV30-R350 thread, basically saying that no standard doesn't mean no "DDR-II type" used by Nvidia or anyone else.

So the NV30 may use regular DDR memory using a 128bit bus with three vertex shaders. I guess I am putting together a few threads of information here. NV30 sounds less and less of a knock out blow and may just blow. I hope Nvidia gets back on the path they had before with their hardware designs.

Noko, from all the rumors coming from all over, I don't know what to believe anymore. The 3 vertex shader idea could be plausible due to the statement in the NV30 OpenGl document which states it will have 1.5 times the vertex performance of the NV25 clock for clock, but the 128-bit vs 256 bit bus issue seems to introduce a myriad of conflicting ideas. It is fun to speculate, but also frustrating.

noko said:
So the NV30 may use regular DDR memory using a 128bit bus with three vertex shaders. I guess I am putting together a few threads of information here. NV30 sounds less and less of a knock out blow and may just blow. I hope Nvidia gets back on the path they had before with their hardware designs.

Christ all mighty. You're putting together 3 threads of rumors and speculation and speculating on that and coming to conclusions.

Comdex isn't that far away, hold your horses before counting your chickens before the eggs are even laid.

Regarding JEDEC validation... correct me if I am wrong, but didn't JEDEC validate 200MHz DDRRAM only a couple of months ago, while it has been in use on video cards for the last 2 years?

Pardon my naivety, but do NVidia really need to loose sleep if they adopt DDR II lookalike RAM from a sole supplier, Samsung?

Lets see if they do this and NVidia and SAMSUNG agree memory timings and read / write protocols, then NV30 could be launched with 800-1000MHz memory.

If they are hung up over does their board comply with a particular standard they need to go with the fastest 700MHz DDR I memory.

So if they want to compete with ATi they could introduce 2 products a DDR I and a Samsung DDR II look alike version. Sure the DDR II standard is not finalised, but only SAMSUNG have supply of this new contender anyway. If all manufacturers wanted models with the fastest possible RAM they would just copy NVidia and SAMSUNG's reference design and ignore standards until DDR II is finalised, probably in time for NV35.

Surely no one is saying SAMSUNG is changing thier interface standard for their new DDR II contender? So why couldn't NV30 be released using the fastest memory available to date?

xbitlabs is talking outa their collective butts. Both Micron & Samsung announced months ago they have DDrII modules. The fact the JEDEC hasn't approved anything on DDrII has absolutely NO effect on what nVidia or anyone else in the videocard business does.....

http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr?d...gen/n6769.html&lp=fr_en&x=37&y=13

a quote of babelfish translation:
"...At the time of this advertisement, NVIDIA also confirmed by the voice of its representative Derek Perez that the chip 3d last generation of the firm, the NV30, well will be announced and presented at Comdex of Mow-Vegas which will take place from the 16 to next 21 November.

Remain to now know the real availability of the charts which will be equipped with this chip and memory DDR-II... "

Now I wonder if they have chip to show, or do we see a plain paper launch ála Parhelia chip...
They are market leaders, so I think they could have afford launch it and try to ruin everyone else's holiday season sells, while waiting getting NV30 really out... (it is bit risky in the light of rumours coming from ATI, but do they have any other change try to keep on??)

Nappe1 said:
Now I wonder if they have chip to show, or do we see a plain paper launch ála Parhelia chip...

According to latest information, they are trying damn hard to have a real chip for the show, but they are running into manufacturing issues that may or may-not affect their ability to have working hardware for Comdex. -- http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2674
Production product ramping is not expected until next year, as first spin silicon wont hit until around Comdex timeframe. On a chip of NV30 complexity, expect at least 1 respin. If nothing else, they will have a paper launch.

--|BRiT|

Geez. You do a good job of summarizing CMKRNL's rumors and resulting speculation and then presenting it as fact.

Could you at least preface your comments with "the latest rumor ", rather than "the latest information"?

Not trying to be a pain here, but isn't information that comes from an individual still "information"? And, isn't information synonymous with rumor up until an official annoucement is made?

You're probably right though, there are probably many people who wouldn't make that assumption, and might take statements such as "latest information" to mean that the source was in some way official. Better safe than sorry I guess. :)

RussSchultz said:
Geez. You do a good job of summarizing CMKRNL's rumors and resulting speculation and then presenting it as fact.

Could you at least preface your comments with "the latest rumor ", rather than "the latest information"?

if people present it enough times as 'information' and link to enough threads within the same forum is there some internet law that makes it the truth or do we all end disappearing up our own collective *censored*

Taken from nVnews:
NV30 Confirmed Launch - 10/03/02 3:32 pm - By: Ben
In a followup to pelly's Extremetech post, I can confirm that NV30 launch is officially slated for Comdex. I hope to be there and give a report on it.

Nothing new that we didn't know by now, but another confirmation that NV30 will indeed be announced on Comdex.

Now, the most important thing to consider here is whether or not the cards will ship immediately after the annoucement on Comdex (as rumours have been saying and I heard myself...).

alexsok said:
Taken from nVnews:
Now, the most important thing to consider here is whether or not the cards will ship immediately after the annoucement on Comdex (as rumours have been saying and I heard myself...).

I bet they will not before January.

I assume you talk about en masse shipping, right?

Rumors, yes Nvidia has added their own rumors in regarding NV30, as in its shipping date. I guess we all have to wait to see if Nvidia can pan out all of their problems with this generation of chip. I don't believe Nvidia even knows when it will be shipped, they still have problems that need to be fixed which once again is another rumor as far as we know. What is apparent at this time is that there are no sample boards circulating around, meaning NV30 is still not working. I doubt a NV30 card will be sold in a retail store this year.

Woops. Sorry about that, I didn't mean to present it as fact. I did atleast present a link to the source. In this area, I use information when refering to a source that has been reliable so-far.* I use speculation for unknown reliability sources. If I was to present it as fact, I would have used the word fact.

As always is the case, people should research what they read and make their own interpretation. If anyone's taken my interpretation as fact, then they're doing themselves an injustice. The same thing with anything they see posted on the web that is not in official company statements. And even then, take it with a grain of salt.

* He posted about the real tape-out a month before hand. He posted about first-samples two months before hand. Both have been dead on accurate. As always, I suppose there could be something that causes what he presents now to not be dead on accurate.

--|BRiT|

Yada,Yada;yada....

The only crucial rumour that I think people should look out at this time is the one that would sound something along the lines of:

nVidia have received NV30-silicon back from TSMC and initial tests shows that the chip perform as expected.

This will never come officially from nVidia of course, but you can be damn sure that they want the word out (e.g. = leaked) ASAP to de-hype R 9700.

My main point is that we still hasn't heard this crucial rumour, but only got the tape-out yada-yada.

Re: Yada,Yada;yada....

LeStoffer said:
The only crucial rumour that I think people should look out at this time is the one that would sound something along the lines of:
nVidia have received NV30-silicon back from TSMC and initial tests shows that the chip perform as expected.

Exactly! Remember how different the situation was with their other cards* where they had actual hardware 4 months before product launch/announcement? Is that the case now? Nope.

* I can't remember if that was with the GF4 or the Ti-refresh products. Anyone know exactly?

--|BRiT|

For the record, while talking to Nvidia briefly today on DDR3 announced by ATI, they said that of course NV30 will have DDR2 which will be announced at Comdex.

Back