Angry noise from machine

Otto Dafe

Regular
So for at least a year now my computer has been sporadically making this horribly irritating noise. By listening to various elements with a cardboard tube up to my ear I think I've isolated the PSU as the culprit. The noise comes and goes, and when the noise is present it is a metallic hum/grating (kind of like a distant band saw) audible cyclically, about 4 seconds loud and 4 quiet(er).

I was wondering if you guys could think of anything I could do besides buying a new unit; money is kind of tight right now. I'm also not 100% it is the PSU because I don't have another I can swap in. It is slowly driving me mad, but man there is so much other kit I would rather buy right now.

So for at least a year now my computer has been sporadically making this horribly irritating noise. By listening to various elements with a cardboard tube up to my ear I think I've isolated the PSU as the culprit. The noise comes and goes, and when the noise is present it is a metallic hum/grating (kind of like a distant band saw) audible cyclically, about 4 seconds loud and 4 quiet(er).

I was wondering if you guys could think of anything I could do besides buying a new unit; money is kind of tight right now. I'm also not 100% it is the PSU because I don't have another I can swap in. It is slowly driving me mad, but man there is so much other kit I would rather buy right now.

If it's the PSU then it's either the fan or a dying capacitor. if the fan blows out, use a finger or pencil eraser to stop it during the noise to see if stopping the fan stops the noise. If it does, congratulations, cheap fix.

If it's a capacitor you're going to need a new PSU soon.

Possibly coil whine?

Quite harmless in that case. Also has a tendency to come and go periodically (as it responds to computer activity, which is often intermittent.)

The sound of a distant band saw sounds like a hard drive dying.

Could you confirm it's the PSU by unplugging all internal devices and see if it still does it?

Possibly coil whine?

Quite harmless in that case. Also has a tendency to come and go periodically (as it responds to computer activity, which is often intermittent.)

The PSU has performed fine for years while making this noise, V reg. is rock solid. Sitting here listening to it though I have no idea how I tolerated the noise for this long.

The sound of a distant band saw sounds like a hard drive dying.

Could you confirm it's the PSU by unplugging all internal devices and see if it still does it?

Upon further consideration it sounds more like a RC helicopter flying back and forth past an open window. It did eventually occur to me I could short the pins on the 12V and listened to just the PSU but the problem is it's really inconsistent, to the point where it's pretty quiet for a few days and then loud as hell for a month. So last night I just snapped and ordered one of these [Amazon], later rationalizing: a) $51 after rebate; b) the old 550W is maybe a bit UP anyhow; c) good to replace PSU before they fireball; d) noise is driving me freakin' bonkers.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, let me know if anyone wants a quickie review on this OCZ, it's a pretty good price w/ rebate.

Last edited by a moderator:
RC helicopter-type noise I'd go with the fan. Bad bearings, or debris stuck in the impeller.

If u dont know definietly the last thing u want is to buy a new PSU & it not to be the culprit
open up your case, when its making the noise, and when the noise is happening touch the fan with your finger lightly
could be CPU
video card <- this has been my number one is the past, now I only go passive cooled
HD
PSU

If u dont know definietly the last thing u want is to buy a new PSU & it not to be the culprit
open up your case, when its making the noise, and when the noise is happening touch the fan with your finger lightly
could be CPU
video card <- this has been my number one is the past, now I only go passive cooled
HD
PSU

I was worried--probably unnecessarily--that stopping the fan might knock it off kilter or damage the motor. I have eliminated all possibilities except two: it's the CPU fan at very low RPMs (it doesn't sound like it though), or that it's a vibration or sympathetic resonance in the case, somehow localized in the top-back. So I'm pretty sure, but Tuesday will tell.

I used to fix PC's for a job, stopping a fans OK, Im not talking about getting a stick and jamming it in the blades but using the tip of your fingers to stop it, you only have to do it for 1 sec.
- u hear the noise
- stop the fan
- has the noise stopped?

You can use a soft instrument like a cotton Q-tip or such to stop the fan. If the fan is in a push config just touch the hub motor with the cotton tip until it slows to a stop. Will be completely harmless to the fan. I actually don't think it's possible to damage brushless motors by stopping them as they're electronically commutated and cannot be shorted by stopping the driveshaft.

Back