Anandtech preview of the nForce3-250.

I must say that I am impressed.

I am pretty pissed about losing soundstorm still. I realize I am in the minority, but I have only 2 inputs so it is either stereo sound, prologic, or digital surround (and yes I have a 5.1 system). This means the loss of soundstorm = me losing surround except on DVD's :( that is annoying.

Hopefully someone can realease a soundcard that will do what I require by the time I upgrade again. In any case I wonder why nvidia did not release it sooner. And of course I wonder when it will actually come out. I also wonder if the first revisions will be borked like the NF7-s rev 1.0 ...

There's another review out at one of my favourite sites, http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2004q2/nforce3-250gb/index.x?pg=1.
Looks good so far. I must say though I have some concerns about the Gigabit Ethernet chip. If the past is any indication, there won't exist an open-source driver for this thing, making it more or less useless in linux - I'm not talking about the firewall functionality here (which is nice, but really not that needed if you use linux), just plain ethernet functionality. There is some hope nvidia will at least provide a closed source driver (took them 2 years to even do that for the nforce agp gart, though at least this was open-source when they finally did). I guess I'm still leaning towards a VIA based A64 board, the added benefits of the nforce250 (mainly that GbE and SATA/RAID implementation) aren't really that important for me.

Back