Anandtech gearing up for serious PSU testing

A number of websites have been increasingly using high end testing equipment to test a PSU lately. I guess Anand is making a splash simply because of their traffic. Jonny Guru for example is one of the first sites that has been giving very exhaustive tests when it comes to power supplies, again I'm doubtful Anand is going to have anything new and I'm even more doubtful its any benefit to the average reader. If the reader doesn't understand what he's reading what is the point of saying it? There is none, therefore the trust in the author in these cases must be much higher than usual even.

You make it sound like people are incapable of learning. Not always the case. Not everyone is a lazy bum! Otherwise what would be the point of sites like B3D?

edit: let me rephrase that: Everyone is a lazy bum, just in their own way. Not everyone is a globally lazy bum.

I just don't think going anymore technical into power supplies is needed other than what a number of sites are offering already. Therefore I don't see Anand offering anything over these sites, and instead it only offers a increased traffic to actual reviews of power supplies. It should be known that I am extremely happy that we've finally moved past the looks and cabling of a PSU being important or the quality being judged by the brand name.

I'm happy to see any site be willing to give PSUs more than a cursory glance. If they aren't first, well, so what? There are still too many worthless PSU reviews out there. And perhaps Anandtech's reviews will be outstanding. Who knows. I am impressed with this preview and it would seem to indicate that they care about being thorough now.

in a way isnt it a bit nutz
we now have psu's putting out over a killawatt thats electric fire territory
i wish we could go back to the days when you didnt have to care about power supplies or heatsinks or case fans

in a way isnt it a bit nutz
we now have psu's putting out over a killawatt thats electric fire territory
i wish we could go back to the days when you didnt have to care about power supplies or heatsinks or case fans

A lot of the power supply hype you find these days is pure bullshit. Very few people need a one kilowatt power supply yet you find these units being increasingly popular. Its simply pointless and is a waste of power, ironic (very much so) that certain parts of late have been getting bad reputations because of power consumption.... from the same people who buy ridiculous power supplies. I swear, its shocking to see peoples reactions when I say I only have a 450 watt power supply. If they only knew that I don't even use it all and one of the main selling points to me was Active PFC. You try to tell them but they think they're you're lying or have no clue, when its the other way around. It irks me even more when sites continue to push these power supplies when there is no need, no one wants to go public with real results in power supply reviews (though they are so happy to show charts that would easily prove this is say the video card review). To be honest it comes down to it that many sites are afraid to tell the truth in certain reviews because they won't get anymore units for review.

**Sorry for the rant, the power supply crap you hear everywhere though is really starting to piss me off.**

I'm looking forward to this one, Anand should do a good job on it and it's really nice to have a more recent "Mega PSU roundup" to reference...as I hear they're a real bitch to do.

Meh, over rated these days. I also seriously doubt their marketing use of "Silencer" considering what they've considered silent in the past and present on a number of items...

Which PSU do you recommend for SLI and quadcore OC?

I'm looking forward to this one, Anand should do a good job on it and it's really nice to have a more recent "Mega PSU roundup" to reference...as I hear they're a real bitch to do.
They're not easy! I'm somewhat remiss I didn't do another before I set sail from those shores, but then I don't miss the grief that comes with the testing and writing. Anandtech seem to be using pretty much the same load harness I pioneered a couple of years ago, with the addition of a nice chamber and audio rig.

Meh, over rated these days. I also seriously doubt their marketing use of "Silencer" considering what they've considered silent in the past and present on a number of items...
well i have four "Silencer"s in use. seem to be just fine and are less loud than other PSUs i have.
Yeah the newish Quad Pc&Pcooling is great for SLI and CF. running a pair of 2900xts on one now.
I really get tired of people getting tired of HW reviews on the internet,...:rolleyes:

A lot of the power supply hype you find these days is pure bullshit. Very few people need a one kilowatt power supply yet you find these units being increasingly popular. Its simply pointless and is a waste of power, ironic (very much so) that certain parts of late have been getting bad reputations because of power consumption.... from the same people who buy ridiculous power supplies. I swear, its shocking to see peoples reactions when I say I only have a 450 watt power supply. If they only knew that I don't even use it all and one of the main selling points to me was Active PFC. You try to tell them but they think they're you're lying or have no clue, when its the other way around. It irks me even more when sites continue to push these power supplies when there is no need, no one wants to go public with real results in power supply reviews (though they are so happy to show charts that would easily prove this is say the video card review). To be honest it comes down to it that many sites are afraid to tell the truth in certain reviews because they won't get anymore units for review.

Yep. I have a cheap 430W Antec stock PSU ("SmartPower") and it has been running this configuation for months now:

C2D E6600 @ 3.2 GHz, vcore: 1.4V
8800 GTS @ 600/900Mhz
2GB DDR2 667 RAM
2x 250gb HDs, 2x 160gb HDs
Soundblaster X-Fi
975X based mainboard
WiFi PCI card, DVD burner
2x 120mm case fans, 1 90mm CPU fan

So, yeah, a cheap 430W PSU is plenty to power a heavily overclocked semi-high-end PC with 4 HDDs. The only reason to even consider anything bigger than that is SLI/Xfire. Most non-OC'ed, non-SLI gaming PCs probably don't even need anything bigger than a 350W PSU.

Have a look at this: a 2x 8800 GTX system (nv 680i, C2D OC'ed to 3.5 GHz) draws about 480W from the socket. Let's assume 80% efficiency... you could prolly power that system with a good 400W PSU. Of course, you want some extra capacity, just to be safe (plus, capacitors age) but who the fuck needs a 750W PSU?

Evidently, the hardware test sites do a horrible job at educating their readers. They should tell their readers plainly that, unless you want to run a horrendously overclocked ultra-high-end system with an SLI rig, you'll never need a strong PSU.

Why spend €150 on a 700W PSU when a €45 Seasonic S12 400W does the job just as well? For most people, big PSUs are just dead capital sitting in their tower cases doing nothing.

a 2x 8800 GTX system (nv 680i, C2D OC'ed to 3.5 GHz) draws about 480W from the socket. Let's assume 80% efficiency... you could prolly power that system with a good 400W PSU. Of course, you want some extra capacity, just to be safe (plus, capacitors age) but who the fuck needs a 750W PSU?
You're probably right! But what happens when you stick cards in every slot and a drive to every SATA/IDE connector?

When you invest upwards of 1500 or maybe more dollars in a computer why cut corners on the power supply? After all it's one of the most important bits in the PC.

if voltage dips and your system crashes when you're doig something important because you're pulling a bit too much current from one of the rails then you've done a poor purchase. Heck..changes in voltage can kill your hardware if you're unliucky.

Why spend €150 on a 700W PSU when a €45 Seasonic S12 400W does the job just as well?
And why buy SLI gfx cards that'll do 150+ fps and then run them off of a LCD that maxes out at 60? (Or indeed cars that'll do 250kph when the law sets the limit at less than half.) Because people want to. So let them. It's their money to spend how they choose.

Telling people "you don't need this. buy something smaller!" is rather arrogant methinks.

Maybe they won't absolutely need it NOW. But PCs show no sign of going down in power requirements. A strong PSU can move on up intothe next system the user buys.
Peace.

Which PSU do you recommend for SLI and quadcore OC?

Silverstone Strider 1000. It's damn quiet, maybe even silent when powering my Quad Core CPU (overclocked to 3.4Ghz), single 8800 GTX, and dual DDC+ pumps for my H2O cooling system. It uses a 135mm fan to remain cool and silent. Its plenty overkill for even my system. Only the power-hog AMD systems need anything more than 500 Watt sustained PSU.

Let me quote X-bit Labs' 1000 Watt PSU review once again:
Intel-based system:

* Quad-core Core 2 Extreme QX6700 CPU (Kentsfield) overclocked to 3.5GHz
* Two Foxconn GeForce 8800GTX graphics cards in SLI mode
* ASUS Striker Extreme mainboard (LGA775, NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI)
* 2GB DDR2-800 SDRAM (Mushkin XP2-6400PRO, 4 x 512MB)
* Two Western Digital WD1500AHFD hard disk drives in a RAID0
* Various trifles like a DVD-ROM, fans, etc
p1.png

why can't i resist the temptation to get involved in this shit?

Telling people "you don't need this. buy something smaller!" is rather arrogant methinks.

Telling people on a tight budget to spend €100+ more than they have to on an over-powered PSU they don't need and never will need to run their low-power cheap-end rig is rather obnoxious methinks. But it happens. You are correct, everybody has the right to waste their own money. Problem is that the my_PSU_size=my_willy_size brigade end up wasting other people's money, which isn't acceptable.

Well, just because it's a high output PSU doesn't mean it will use more power. In fact, some of these supplies are quite efficient.

My older Enermax 480 W used more power at idle than my current OCZ Gamexstream 600 W, both in my previous S939 rig. I measured this with a Kill A Watt meter. Cool little gadget. And the OCZ PSU has active PFC which the power companies like for efficiency. Prices aren't even all that outrageous for some of these quality, higher-watt PSUs. Mine was around $110, I believe. Not much more than the Enermax was. The 480 W Enermax overloaded and shut down a few times with my overclocked S939 rig + X850XT. That was why I bought the bigger PSU. It's now powering my 8800GTX + overclocked Allendale. The twin PCIe power connectors came in handy for the vid card.

You certainly could buy a OMGELITE 900W that is just cheap, inefficient, power-burning garbage, though. That's why we need nice reviews/roundups. Lots of people just run out and buy cheap and don't really give a damn about or even realize the quality varies.

As for PC P&C PSUs, I do own a 300W Turbocool from 1999. It was very loud when I got it because they stuck a pretty high RPM fan in it. This was probably because they test their PSUs under max load at like 50C, and as such it needed a ton of airflow under those conditions. Before temp-adjusting fans, I guess. Heh. Nonetheless, I replaced the fan like 5 yrs ago lol. The PSU is still around, powering a Duron-based showroom PC at work.

Well, just because it's a high output PSU doesn't mean it will use more power. In fact, some of these supplies are quite efficient.

My older Enermax 480 W used more power at idle than my current OCZ Gamexstream 600 W, both in my previous S939 rig. I measured this with a Kill A Watt meter. Cool little gadget. And the OCZ PSU has active PFC which the power companies like for efficiency. Prices aren't even all that outrageous for some of these quality, higher-watt PSUs. Mine was around $110, I believe. Not much more than the Enermax was. The 480 W Enermax overloaded and shut down a few times with my overclocked S939 rig + X850XT. That was why I bought the bigger PSU. It's now powering my 8800GTX + overclocked Allendale. The twin PCIe power connectors came in handy for the vid card.

You certainly could buy a OMGELITE 900W that is just cheap, inefficient, power-burning garbage, though. That's why we need nice reviews/roundups. Lots of people just run out and buy cheap and don't really give a damn about or even realize the quality varies.

As for PC P&C PSUs, I do own a 300W Turbocool from 1999. It was very loud when I got it because they stuck a pretty high RPM fan in it. This was probably because they test their PSUs under max load at like 50C, and as such it needed a ton of airflow under those conditions. Before temp-adjusting fans, I guess. Heh. Nonetheless, I replaced the fan like 5 yrs ago lol. The PSU is still around, powering a Duron-based showroom PC at work.

Very few Enermax PSUs I consider "high quality" again its a brand that rides on its past, PC Power and Cooling, and in a lot of cases Antec are doing that right now. The real problem with the PC Power and Cooling PSUs is that they're over rated to be honest, their past as being the only really high end (they had a 1 kilowatt unit way before it was popular) has allowed them to obtain legendary status in this rush of PSU bullshit as of late.

Your reverse logic also makes no sense. Even if a larger PSU is very efficient there is most likely a smaller PSU just as efficient. So... again why buy the larger PSU you won't need.

And why buy SLI gfx cards that'll do 150+ fps and then run them off of a LCD that maxes out at 60? (Or indeed cars that'll do 250kph when the law sets the limit at less than half.) Because people want to. So let them. It's their money to spend how they choose.

So very ironic considering your various posts about letting people pick what they want to do.

Also, there is a rather large difference between buying a PSU with enough room than buying a PSU that is just way over what you need. If you want to build for the future then buying a 650W when all you really need is 400W now, I would consider sane and smart, however buying a 1000W PSU when all you need is 400W is just out right a waste of money. By the time you get to that point in usage (if we ever, I seriously doubt the normal gamer rig will ever pull 600W on a regular basis) the adapters and various power plugs will be out of date anyway. Just look at so many people who wanted to use their shiny new 1000W PSUs to be left in the dust when they didn't have the proper conections for the HD2900XT, or for a 8-pin connector on some motherboards. In fact, using a old PSU in a new system could be a bad idea considering age, the type of power being used, etc.

You're probably right! But what happens when you stick cards in every slot and a drive to every SATA/IDE connector?

When you invest upwards of 1500 or maybe more dollars in a computer why cut corners on the power supply? After all it's one of the most important bits in the PC.
I'm not talking about cutting corners. I'm talking about not wasting money on something that you will likely NEVER use when this money could be invested into improving another part of the configuration. The additional €100 spent on a monster PSU could buy something that actually MAKES A FUCKING DIFFERENCE.

When I wrote that the system would likely run with a good 400W PSU, I didn't mean to imply that you should buy nothing bigger than a 400W PSU. The point was that even a high-end SLI rig with an overclocked CPU doesn't need a 650-1000W monster PSU. Get a good 500-550W PSU and you still have plenty room for future upgrades and overclocking.

The X-bit numbers that BRit quoted confirm this. 442W peak for a heavily overclocked QUAD CORE system with 2x 10k rpm drives and 8800 GTX SLI.

The average enthusiast PC probably looks more like an upper-end non-XE/XQ C2D with a single GTS or GTX, basically configurations that won't even come close to 400W power draw, more likely much closer to 300W than 400W.

Well, I'm not a big friend of SLI either, unless you want to run cutting-edge games in 1920x1200 with high AA.

I'm not trying to tell people how to spend their money, I'm trying to tell hardware reviewers to stop pimping idiotic products like these monster PSUs while keeping their readers in the dark about the true power requirements of a modern PC.

I don't think people WANT to buy 150€ PSUs, I think people are ignorant about the true power requirements of their PCs and they think they NEED it. You have this huge PSU capacity escalation going on and people are just going along with it because hardware testers don't really tell them that their PCs probably only draw 350W or so.

Even most enthusiasts seem to be largely ignorant. Read the forums at various hardware sites, where you have people posting their configurations, that barely even scratch the 350W peak power consumption, with 700W PSUs and shit like that. And the PSU recommendations these people give are every bit as idiotic as the PSUs they buy themselves.

Just read the Futuremark forums... some of the configurations people are posting there are retardedly hilarious, like these:
Code:
gigabyte 965p-dq6
core 2 duo e6600
74 gig 10k raptor
his x1950 512 ddr4
4 gigs gskill ddr 2 @ 4 4 4 12
thermaltake [B]700w[/B]

Mobo - Asus PK5
CPU - Intel QX6850
GPU 8800GTX SLI 
Memory Corsair 8GB DDR2 XMS2 Dominator
Sound - X-FI 
PSU - PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool [B]1KW[/B]-SR

Intel E6320 
Asus P5B Deluxe 
4x1 Corsair XMS2 DDR800 
1xRaptor 74gb HD 
2x160GB sata HD
1xWD 500GB Sata
XFI Xtrememusik
Nec 7140 DVDRW
Geforce 8800GTS 640mb 
Corsair [B]620W[/B]

I mean, look at the last one here... a PC that maybe sucks 300W under load and a €130 PSU. Do you honestly think he made an informed decision when we came up with that particular configuration? He could have used the €80 to upgrade the CPU from a 1.80GHz to a 2.40GHz model... that would certainly have had more of an impact on performance than paying for PSU capacity that just sits there unused.

Maybe they won't absolutely need it NOW. But PCs show no sign of going down in power requirements. A strong PSU can move on up intothe next system the user buys.
Actually, PCs do go down in power requirements. RAM is becoming less power consuming with every consecutive generation, so are CPUs. Compare a C2D to it's predecessor, the P4 Pressler... or AMD's X2 EE CPUs to earlier X2s (i.e. Toledo and Manchester cores). A dual-core X2 5200+ EE has about the same TDP as a single-core Athlon 64 3000+ had one year ago and a 30% lower TDP than the non-EE X2 5200+ a few months ago.

Video cards are the main culprit and it's not THAT bad. For example, a 8800GTS draws less power than a previous generation X1900XT 256mb, which wasn't even a high-end offering. The 8800 GTX only draws slightly more power than the X1950XTX, the previous generation's fastes card.

Also, you can't just look at the wasteful ultra-high-end segment, where you have retardedly overvolted CPUs like the QX6700, which sucks 30% more power while only offering a very mild speed bump over the Q6600, not even to mention AMD's FX processors or the whole Quad-FX platform debacle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back