Anachronox

Tim Murray

the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
Veteran
After years of searching for it, I finally got a hold of it last week.

I now have a planet in my party. It's Space Quest if Space Quest were a console-type RPG. I love it to death. It makes me sad (!) that Ion Storm went under, because now we'll never have an Anachronox 2.

The Baron said:
After years of searching for it, I finally got a hold of it last week.

I now have a planet in my party. It's Space Quest if Space Quest were a console-type RPG. I love it to death. It makes me sad (!) that Ion Storm went under, because now we'll never have an Anachronox 2.

I picked this up about two years ago for $10 at a local Best Buy and loved it. It oozes RPG goodness.

Go find the cheat code for the battles.
The battles are COMPLETELY, and UTTERLY useless.
I stopped playing the game just because of the craptastic, and bugged battles. I didn't know about the non-battle code at that time.

The battle system is, unsuccessfully, trying to emulate the Final Fantasy formula...

edit before posting: here's the code (From Gamefaqs.com)

These cheats involve a lengthly process. First create a backup copy of the file before proceeding. Use a text editor to edit the ''default.cfg'' file in the ''\anachronox\anoxdata\configs\'' folder. Change the ''set debug 0'' entry to ''set debug 1'' to enable debug mode. When the game begins, debug messages will appear. Press ~ to display the console window, then type ''invoke 1:86'' to unlock the cheat menu. Additionally, enter one of the following codes at the console window to activate the corresponding cheat function:

Win battle instantly = battlewin

I like the battles... but I also like Chrono Cross, so I'm batshit insane.

Also, it needs two unofficial patches in order to really become playable, it seems. Battle system, though, seems to work quite well.

The Baron said:
I like the battles... but I also like Chrono Cross, so I'm batshit insane.
Yes. Yes, you are indeed batshit insane.

While he CC battle engine was correct, not great but, at least, correct, Anachronox's one is simply broken.

I have probably never experience such slow battles. Same thing for the miss % rate, it's higher than anything I've played before, 1/3 of the, very slow, attacks are missed.

And if I conplain about the speed of a battle engine, it really means that something id fucked up about it. Just look at my nickname, Eternal Arcadia (Skies of Arcadia) had very slow battles, but I wouldn't say anything bad about it.

Also, it worth mentioning that Anachronox sported an incredibly low variety of moves and consequently a low number of possible play tactics that made the battle encounters incredibly dull and boring to play...

Anachonox is an excellent, yes, excellent, Adventure game. But an awful turn based RPG. The good thing is that the battle aren't random and aren't that frequent.

Strange, I really enjoyed the battles and the various oddball combat maneuvers the characters do.

I really would have loved to see the second half of Anachronox produced. It is such a fun game.

I remember the game but like was said earlier when released it was buggy as hell and started me off on the wrong foot with the game. I never gave it a second chance and gave it to a friend. He did seem to enjoy the game after the patches though :?

Finally played it early last year, really quite original and fun game! :)

Yeah, the combat system was a rather lame FF rip-off, but the story and characters developed excellent and the humor really made the game stand out. I didn't finish it though, the fights became too annoying after a while and I don't care about using cheats, so...

this is a game that i've kept a note in the back of my mind to pick up some day
i only ever played the demo but the fractured storyline sucked me right in despite the gfx tech being well outdated, even upon release
i was disappointed to find the game contained one of those Chrono Trigger type battle systems though
i've not spent enough time on those games to be able to get into that sort of thing
so it's broken then? maybe that's how i just randomly bashed my way through it ;)
nice to know you can skip the battles with a cheat, thx
i'd still play the game just for the crazy story

I don't care if the battle system sucked (I don't care much about console style battle systems anyway), the game was some of the most fun I ever had with a computer game.

Back