An untold story about HD-DVD: HD-DVD disc costs 1.5 as much

Status
Not open for further replies.

homy

Banned
You know what?
Average price of an HD-DVD is $40.60 vs $27.60 for Bluray.
My question is why didn't anybody talk about this?

price-1-1-recent30.jpg

That site only tracks Amazon.com

Maybe the exclusive box sets? Matrix Ultimate/Complete, Heroes, Smallville, Forbidden Planet, The Living Landscapes Collection.

(Also on Blu-Ray)
Sopranos, Nip/Tuck, Planet Earth, Mission Impossible Ultimate Collection.

HD DVD Starter Set (A Guitarscape Planet / Nature's Colors / New Orleans Concert / A Stained Glass Christmas / A View From Space) [HD DVD]
List: $129.95
Price: $90.95

The Living Landscapes Collection (9 Disc Set) [HD DVD]
List: $149.00
Price: $103.95

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st/103-7559262-0368634?rs=16295741&page=1&rh=n:16295741&sort=-price (HD DVD)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st/103-7559262-0368634?rs=16295751&page=1&rh=n:16295751&sort=-price (Blu-Ray)

Also the combo DVD/HD DVD titles cost more.

Lastly, that graph seems to be the average of the top 10 selling titles on Amazon.com In which case HD DVD has 4 box sets in its top 10 vs 1 box set for Blu-Ray (Planet Earth)

Planet Earth $66.95 #1
Ultimate Matrix Collection $73.95 #3
Heroes $69.95 #4
Complete Matrix Collection $63.95 #6

Last edited by a moderator:
That site only tracks Amazon.com

Maybe the box sets? Matrix Ultimate/Complete, Heroes, Smallville, Forbidden Planet.

(Also on Blu-Ray)
Sopranos, Nip/Tuck, Planet Earth, Mission Impossible Ultimate Collection.

HD DVD Starter Set (A Guitarscape Planet / Nature's Colors / New Orleans Concert / A Stained Glass Christmas / A View From Space) [HD DVD]
List: $129.95
Price: $90.95

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st/103-7559262-0368634?rs=16295741&page=1&rh=n:16295741&sort=-price (HD DVD)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st/103-7559262-0368634?rs=16295751&page=1&rh=n:16295751&sort=-price (Blu-Ray)

Also the combo DVD/HD DVD titles cost more.

Lastly, that graph seems to be the average of the top 10 selling titles on Amazon.com In which case HD DVD has 4 box sets in its top 10 vs 1 box set for Blu-Ray (Planet Earth)

Planet Earth $66.95 #1
Ultimate Matrix Collection $73.95 #3
Heroes $69.95 #4
Complete Matrix Collection $63.95 #6

How do you average that 4 box sets to $40.00, where each of them is over 60 bucks?

homy, you honestly think that HD-DVDs cost 1.5 times more than BDs?

I haven't been keeping too close an eye on HD discs in the USA, but the prices seem pretty close. The obvious explanation, as has been pointed out, is probably that HD-DVD sells a lot more multi-disc sets. I'm guessing this can be explained by the probably different demographics of PS3 and HD-DVD player buyers.

That graph look a little odd to anyone else?

homy, you honestly think that HD-DVDs cost 1.5 times more than BDs?

Actually i think he cares more about brown nosing Sony as much as he can. This is the third or fourth thread hes made with a straight bias or propaganda stench coming from it specifically aimed at spreading FUD in the console section. He's one of them and will eat your brainssss!

Part of the problem may also be those crappy HD-DVD\DVD combo discs that cost $5-$10 more. Also Blu-ray is cranking out a lot more movies these days and I'm sure some of the are "value" titles that go for less.

I've seen a lot of sales on Amazon as well. These are either payed for promotions or just something that's happened lately.

I will like to see them all under $20.

Part of the problem may also be those crappy HD-DVD\DVD combo discs that cost $5-$10 more. Also Blu-ray is cranking out a lot more movies these days and I'm sure some of the are "value" titles that go for less.

I've seen a lot of sales on Amazon as well. These are either payed for promotions or just something that's happened lately.

I will like to see them all under $20.

Ya that whole HD-DVD/DVD combo thing is bogus. Not only does it confuse consumers such as say they are looking for a new movie on DVD they see it says DVD they take it home and one side works and they think nothing of it but have ended up paying extra. But its also seems sorta desperate on HD-DVD's part. I guess they do have a good excuse in the fact that they are pressed at the same factories but still.

You know what?
Average price of an HD-DVD is $40.60 vs $27.60 for Bluray.
My question is why didn't anybody talk about this?

price-1-1-recent30.jpg

2 reasons, "we" know, and since this isn´t something Blu-Ray haters want out they haven´t shouted about it yet..

Ya that whole HD-DVD/DVD combo thing is bogus.

Yeah, that entire full backwards compatible with DVD players is a crock. I mean what's the deal with being able to watch a movie over friend's or family's house on their normal DVD player or on a portable DVD player if going on a trip or at work during a break. No one would ever want that at all, even if it's only an extra $5. That's totaly bogus. We need to burn them at the stake.

:rolleyes:

That graph look a little odd to anyone else?
Do you mean because it only covers one month, and so can hardly be taken as indicative of the average price of DVDs on the whole (regardless of the fact that it is only at Amazon), or that there is a wibbly bit of about ten days (why?), or do you think that it is upside down? (I do.)

Yeah, that entire full backwards compatible with DVD players is a crock. I mean what's the deal with being able to watch a movie over friend's or family's house on their normal DVD player or on a portable DVD player if going on a trip or at work during a break. No one would ever want that at all, even if it's only an extra $5. That's totaly bogus. We need to burn them at the stake.

:rolleyes:

I dunno and maybe its just me but I tend to keep my movies that I pay $30 for at the house. Most likely cheaper in the long run to just buy the $10 copy if you plan to do that.

And I'm not downplaying that functionality. I'm downplaying that fact that it most likely confuses alot of consumers who buy the HD-DVD combos thinking its some special edition, they go home put the disk in it works, & they are out $20 and have no idea. And these are the types of consumers that you probably don't see posts in forums because they aren't tech savvy.

Can a Mod just perma-ban homy? He/she adds nothing but crap and noise to this forum, so he/she doesn't belong here.

Homey is one of the reasons I miss the rep system. :(

+rep for you :(

But yeah, it was a lot simpler to weed out the garbage with the rep system.

I have to wonder, if one isn't being paid for such services/propoganda, is it really worth fabricating just asinine statistics and clearly be outed as a tool? I just don't see the value!

I have to wonder, if one isn't being paid for such services/propoganda, is it really worth fabricating just asinine statistics and clearly be outed as a tool? I just don't see the value!
I was actually just arguing that thought with some buddies, but they smacked me down for suggesting he was some viral marketing agent.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be attributed to stupidity" was pretty much the gist of their arguments, and I fear they're right. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back