An original Xbox can do Doom 3 at 720p natively with extra RAM

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by mavox01, Apr 14, 2021.

1. HMBR

Regular

I've played the entire MGS2 on the Xbox,
    for the most part it was fine, but there were some places were it ran really slow, the game speed was tied to framerate making it really odd to play it in proper slow motion later on, there was a part with a lot of smoke or water or something that was likely fill rate related and it struggled pretty badly
    not that I blame the console, it was just no properly optimized for the hardware, but yeah, you could make PS2 games run poorly on the Xbox depending on their demands,
    but realistically speaking doing the opposite (XB optimized title port to PS2) would be a far bigger challenge and they wouldn't be able to get away with the basic ps2 to xb ports they did for sure.

hypothetical 512MB for the XB is super unrealistic due to cost,
    128MB less so, but I don't think that it would have changed the life the console had.

PSman1700 likes this.
  2. PSman1700

Legend Newcomer

MGS2 was a bad port on the PC aswell, bad performance and other graphical issues. Not even my 9700pro liked the game backthen.

mavox01 likes this.
  3. mavox01

Newcomer

The 512mb was just a theoretical because it responds incredibly well with 128mb and no optimization. Like how long would it have lasted into the next generation type question running X360 and ps3 games at 480p

4. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

I think the whole generation would have changed. I don't think it would have over come the PlayStation lead but it would most likely have sold much better. I think at the end of the day 128 megs of faster ram vs 512 megs of the slower ram would have been a better solution. I also think if they went amd for cpu (as i believe that was an option at one point) would have helped them be more competitive price wise.

Of course this beast of a console could have messed with the timing of the xbox 360 and who knows where we would be

5. DSoup

DSoup X
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Sure, a $2,000 console would definitely have destroyed the $399 PlayStation 2. Outputting 720p when the first 720p HD TVs weren't around for another four years would have been a real coup in the battle of lunacy.

So what drugs are you doing these days?

6. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

I think it's important to remember that even though more memory, or faster memory, would have always helped, Xbox already shipped with nearly twice the memory that Playstation 2 had, and a HDD that you could cache to if needed. Price was always the real limiting factor. Or maybe more so, cost.

DSoup and PSman1700 like this.
  7. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

I didn't own an xbox at the time. I had a dreamcast and gamecube.

However I think MS could have positioned the xbox as a premium device if they worked with developers to enhance the popular 3rd party games of the time. The xbox matched the price of the playstation 2 as MS burned through money but if I recall that was mostly Intel not wanting to drop prices on the cpu. That is why I said if they went amd for the cpu they could have gotten a better deal and ended up with more ram in the system.

For me at the time I had dreamcast and gamecube and my pc. If xbox was a premium system even if it cost more I might have picked it up for the console games not hitting pc at the time

8. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

Xbox, in the first year, had a bunch of games with extra content or exclusive features. Not exclusive titles, but features or levels that were exclusive to Xbox. I don't remember every title, but I do remember Spider-man was a big one. The movie tie in game based on the Raimi movie. It had a Kraven the Hunter level that only appeared on Xbox. I think Tony Hawk had some exclusive levels or characters also. And there were definitely more.

And again, I get that adding more memory helps Xbox achieve more, but really, it's cost at the time and considering what it's contemporary competition had, memory was hardly Xbox's weakest point. In fact, it was one of it's strengths.

eastmen likes this.
  9. mavox01

Newcomer

But i think going into 2004 and 2005 the memory demand beyond 64mb was huge and adding RAM would have been much cheaper. Just for fun, it would have been interesting to see what the machine could have done because that's mostly what developers complained about in 2004 was xboxs RAM pool, even though it was double the ps2 and significantly more than GC, the xbox had the potential to keep boxing at an even higher weight class imo.