An interesting hw tesselation timeline..

nAo

Nutella Nutellae
Veteran

The slide above is from this presentation by Henry Moreton.
I would like to know more about NV30 untold story...wouldn't you? :)
Well..it seems hw tessellation has been removed from WGF specs too.

Heh, the number of untold stories about the NV3x, if half the rumors were true, would be downright ridiculous. Separate VS and PS chips, for example, were rumored at one point.

Some pre-NV30 launch rumors mentionned a PPU, but they weren't sure it was working (they assumed not); they didn't even know whether it still was on the die. The world would have been a very different place with a 2-chip NV30 on 150nm (one chip being VS+PPP, other being PS), don't you think? Not that it really matters :)

Uttar

DemoCoder: Yeah I don't disagree. The PPP rumors pre-NV30 weren't ****** ones though, it was from that person who - according to some - worked at TSMC, and got a lot of NV30 info that was proved right afterwards - including some of the first "we've got problem" reports, iirc. I'll see if I can find the posts tommorow, bit too tired right now.

Uttar

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?p=16146
CMKRNL said:
The one advantage that NV30 will have over R300 is the programmable triangle tessellation unit. It's a fantastic feature but unfortunately one that will not be taken advantage of by game developers in its product lifecycle. (Heck, games are just now starting to take advantage of shaders which have been around since NV20!) Still, it's nice to see this type of innovation because it paves the way for making this a standard feature in future designs.
Make a search on CMKRNL if you don't remember who he is :)

Uttar

Back