Amy Hennig Talks More About Struggling With EA's Frostbite Engine

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by iroboto, Feb 20, 2019.

1. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

turkey and BRiT like this.
  2. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

And swapping engines to Frostbite wouldn't mean creating the game on Frostbite?
    This is going in circles.

Look Shifty I'm not defending a case or the other. I don't work for EA or its competition. This isn't all that important to me.
    All I did was reference EA's CEO explanations for pushing Frostbite across their dev teams, but it seems I somehow need to answer for the guy. I don't.

I never thought a completely casual sentence like "EA is letting one of them devs release a game on something other than Frostbite" would be the cause of so much discussion and I honestly regret it already.

DSoup likes this.
  3. DSoup

DSoup meh

This thread did take a bizarrely weird turn and I don’t get it either.

AlBran and ToTTenTranz like this.
  4. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Because to some of us, EA letting Respawn release a game on UE4 isn't anything of note and have just asked for the perspective that thinks it is something of note (missing from Tottentranz's self quote is the "it's an important mark" part). In a thread about devs complaining about Frostbite, does the fact the next game from Respawn uses UE4 instead of Frostbite mean something or not? That seems to be a very sensible discussion point. If someone feels it is significant, is it that odd to ask them to explain it so the rest of us can understand that perspective, and then of course either agree or disagree?

*shrug*

Scott_Arm and AlBran like this.
  5. ToTTenTranz

My comment might have referred to something of note, at the very least because it was also brought to light by Forbes, SegmentNext, KitGuru, Gamerant, Comicbook.com and many others.
    Regardless, I edited it out so it's a non-issue now.

AlBran likes this.
  6. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Indeed. And as discussed here, asking if it's an important point, still seems (to me anyhow) that it isn't and it has no baring on the Frostbite story. I just think these reporters haven't joined the dots in the right order, starting instead with the current popular topic of Frostbite and recent very public criticism of it, instead of starting with the story of how J:FO began and was later acquired.

If there hadn't been all the anti-Frostbite sentiment, no-one would have batted an eye-lid at a UE4 game coming from an EA studio seeing as it was started long before the acquisition.