AMD's estimation of market segment sizes by price

Geo

Mostly Harmless
Legend
. . .and the fly in the ointment, ". . . as reported by Inq".

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39139 Supposedly this is boards, not gpus, and AMD VP John Byrne cited as the source.

< $49 - 30%
$50-79 - 23%
$80-99 - 26%
$100-149 - 11%
$150-199 - 7%
$200 > - 3%

Man, I hope that's not right, as it's weighted quite a bit lower than I was thinking. I can remember an ATI report from a couple years ago that suggested the $300+ market was more like 5-8%.

If you take that literally, the implication is that a majority (the bottom two) of the discrete market isn't even buying current gen cards most of the time?

Those numbers are quite different compared to what X-bit labs reported a couple of weeks ago: http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20070413235044.html. This is Q4 2006 unit share for add in cards:

$30-90 - 8,40 % (I'd guess this is meant to be $30-79 and there's a typo in the article.)
$80-149 - 22,50 %
$150-249 - 63,70 %
$250-700 - 2,10 %

The remaining 3,3 % is for workstation cards. I would've expected the high end to have a slightly higher percentage, and the mainstream bracket to have a significantly higher share. So at least I'd take these with a grain of salt too.

Surely those numbers are taking into consideration Intel and all their integrated chipsets. Although they could be double counting systems with both integrated and discrete chips in use. That might offset the numbers a little but not that much I wouldn't think.

Article specifically said "add-in boards", so that would exclude IGP, most/all of which are pretty cheap anyway.

I'd like to see the original statement, not filtered through L'Inq. Are those numbers for the market overall, or just for AMD? If just for AMD it would be both more believable (given recent market share reports with NV having a healthy lead in the mid/high end) and an interesting insight into their product mix / ASPs.

I believe these numbers are for prices on which AMD sells cards to dealers, not prices to the end user.

Taking this in account will show very good correlation between numbers from AMD and ixbt

Having seen a few more reports of this, it appears he may have meant company-wide, rather than ATI Radeon products. Which is even a bit curiouser, actually. They must sell a huge volume of something pretty cheap that's not coming to mind. Value chipsets would be part of that, I'd guess.

Back