AMD's 3GHz K10 to break 30,000 3DMark06

Shtal

Veteran
If you were wondering why AMD was hiding the scores of K10 so secretly, there were two reasons. The first might be that the CPU sucks badly and after AMD comes out, Intel's lads can start celebrating the death of AMD. On the other hand, there the was clear and present danger of the K10 significantly beating not just the current Conroe/Kentsfield generation, but easily out besting Wolfdale/Yorkfield. This statement warrants at least three hatemails from Intel's R&D lads, but all that we will disclose here are results we have in our possession. The pics are gone with my stolen laptop, though.

The particular piece of equipment that was briefly in our possession allowed us to run 3DMark06, the most important to overclockers worldwide, and Everest 4.0, our favourite memory benchmark.

Windows Me II (Vista) Ultimate was installed as the operating system of choice. For some odd reason, the 32-bit version was installed in a system with 4GB of memory, needless to say the system detected 3.24GB, and benchmarketing commenced.

When running at 2.5GHz, the 3DMark06 score ended at 23.768, so we were thrilled to see such a good score coming from two 512MB cards. This showed the clear potential of this four core processor marchitecture, but the helter skelter ride happened after we overclocked the processor to 3.0GHz.

When clocked at 3.0 GHz and equipped with two overclocked HD2900XT cards in CrossFire, Agena FX or single-core Barcelona smashed an index of 30,000 3DMarks 06. Yes, you’ve read it right - the barrier of 30,000 was passed to, barely, 30.031. We know that there are different systems floating around, and we have no doubt that leaks will start appearing after this article goes live. Knowing what was the overclock of Kentsfield processor, Intel Yorkfield has quite a big job to do. One thing is clear, though. Intel needs Nehalem, and it needs it badly.

To be clear with you, dear readers, two HD2900XT cards were overclocked to 830MHz for the core and 900MHz for the memory, but ominous Catalyst 7.7 drivers were used.

We expect the results to go officially live prior to Barcelona launch in September. µ http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=41970

Let's not get into a discussion about whether or not the hardware was stolen (it was) or whether The Inq steals (we have a different forum for those kinds of threads).

The question should be whether 30K marks is in any way possible from mildly overclocked R600 XTs with a 3GHz Phenom.

When the current WR is around 3K less with a 5GHz or so Core 2 Quad and heavily overclocked R600 XTs, you'd tend to think not. At all.

Hm, maybe they got a third "spare" 2900XT somewhere in the system. :D

Seriously, just the CPU alone couldn't contribute sooo much to the score (comared to the Core quad alternative), at least considering the fact, that the CPU score itself a sqrt(x) function in the resultant final 3Dmark score, and we all know that the SM2/SM3 tests are heavily GPU bound.

Last edited by a moderator:
This probably got a lot of panties wet on a number of AMD fan-sites. The question is wheter or not that'll help them or hurt them, come launch-time.

I hope this is true. I like AMD CPUs so if the performance of the quad core CPu is this good I won't have to switch to Intel.

Yes, he thinks not, but he doesn't work at AMD.

He's not god, it's just one guys opinion that I hope is wrong.

What is so wrong with that.

Rys is wrong. Futuremark Hall Of Fame, 1st Place:

27039 Points

Name: Shamino & Kinc Mushkin OC Team live at GC 2007 ASUS Blitz Extreme

Description: Intel QX6850 Dragonpot cooled, ASUS Blitz Extreme, Mushkin DDR3 1333 ES ~1500MHz 5-7-5-15 1T, ASUS 2900XT Crossfire 1200/1000MHz Mousepot rev4 cooled. Special thanks to Saki Hoffmann, Markus and Brian Flood at Mushkin! Thomas at Intel Sweden. Mikael and Anders at ASUS Nordic.

Date: 2007-08-25

so, 30000 is in reach.

(and yes, the intel was a quadcore on over 5ghz).

while in reach, the numbers sound great. yep some have wet pants now :) (not me..)

Rys wasnt wrong.. he said the current quad core from intel was about 3k less and was around 5 Ghz... all you did was reinforce what he said..

Rys is wrong. Futuremark Hall Of Fame, 1st Place:

27039 Points

Name: Shamino & Kinc Mushkin OC Team live at GC 2007 ASUS Blitz Extreme

Description: Intel QX6850 Dragonpot cooled, ASUS Blitz Extreme, Mushkin DDR3 1333 ES ~1500MHz 5-7-5-15 1T, ASUS 2900XT Crossfire 1200/1000MHz Mousepot rev4 cooled. Special thanks to Saki Hoffmann, Markus and Brian Flood at Mushkin! Thomas at Intel Sweden. Mikael and Anders at ASUS Nordic.

Date: 2007-08-25

so, 30000 is in reach.

(and yes, the intel was a quadcore on over 5ghz).

while in reach, the numbers sound great. yep some have wet pants now :) (not me..)

(I'm assuming your tone was a joking one:) )

Silly me. Since it's AMD, it's magic obviously...they have secretly designed a chip that is twice as effective per clock than Intel's quite solid, quite smart architecture. And this CPU is so incredibly powerful, that it makes a 370MHz Core 100MHz memory deficit be irrelevant in a test that is GPU bound as well as CPU.OMGWTF TEH SAUCE.

Does this mean Shodan&Skynet are already undergoing beta-testing in AMDs secret facilities?That would be kindof crappy really:-?

(whats with my tone?)

as i stated one post above yours, i missread rys' post :(

Nothing...I merely assumed it was a joking one, due to the rather monstrous dimension Inq's claims get once they're put into perspective, just like you did.

Guess the reasoning is, if you're going to lie go BIG. Make it so exagerated that it doesn't look like even a half hearted attempt at a believeable lie.

I have another question -- why is a CPU thread in the 3D tech forum?

Oh, and I'll put myself on record by saying the K10 will be 20% slower (on average) than the equivalent-clocked Penryns of the same timeframe.

Back