AMD64 boards Cool 'n Quiet

K.I.L.E.R said:
Should I disable it?

It was disabled on my Asus K8V Deluxe and still disabled on my new one... I want my fan to run at full speed 24/7 and btw .. everything at full speed all the time .. i prefer a " steady noise " instead of a sound always changing.

RainZ

On the Asus A8V it was disabled by default, I turned it on to see the difference, and I can't really say I notice much other than the CPU temp and clock speed being lower. The manuel was not very specefic on how this works, but I'm pretty sure the CPU will clock up according to demand, right?

On one hand, its neat to have the chip always running and waiting, but on the other hand, why run it at full speed when your not useing it at full speed? I guess its all up to you preference, it doesn't hurt to try it out.

Rainz, do you know if that feature is bad for game play? Does it go full blast during a game or clock up and down messing things up?

I still don't have my high end card to find out myself.

Soapmonkey said:
On the Asus A8V it was disabled by default, I turned it on to see the difference, and I can't really say I notice much other than the CPU temp and clock speed being lower. The manuel was not very specefic on how this works, but I'm pretty sure the CPU will clock up according to demand, right?

On one hand, its neat to have the chip always running and waiting, but on the other hand, why run it at full speed when your not useing it at full speed? I guess its all up to you preference, it doesn't hurt to try it out.

Rainz, do you know if that feature is bad for game play? Does it go full blast during a game or clock up and down messing things up?

I still don't have my high end card to find out myself.

Yes it's bad for gameplay and it might not be properly installed on your computer i think .. You have a lot of things to install / modify. and tested the Cool'N'Quiet 2-3 times so far and each times i've lost like 2% on my benchs .. it's cooler ya .. but no thx.

RainZ

What things do you think I need to install? I haven't run anything yet that really worked the CPU, just photoshop, everything is smooth, but if there is a conern I'd like to hear it.

I happen to think "C&Q" is really good, keeps the temps and noise right down when I'm just doing normal stuff like web browsing ect.

I have noticed no performance difference whatsoever with it enabled or disabled, however some games do not like it, X111 and Thief3 for instance both start running very fast (and I don't mean FPS!!) but I just keep a shortcut on my desktop to power options and switch my PC to "home/office desk" rather than "portable/laptop" that I normally use. So any apps that don't like "C&Q" just switch it off from Windows power options, easy.

Overall I would rather have it than not have it but, obviously that depends on your needs and the noise level you are happy with.

rainz said:
Soapmonkey said:
Yes it's bad for gameplay and it might not be properly installed on your computer i think .. You have a lot of things to install / modify. and tested the Cool'N'Quiet 2-3 times so far and each times i've lost like 2% on my benchs .. it's cooler ya .. but no thx.

RainZ

Bad for gameplay? I have been using for the past two days and I have seen no noticable different in games. Actually, when running games, your chip should be running full speed anyway.

Also, when I am browsing, emailing, listening to music, etc...It sits at 1GHz and 1v most of the time. My CPU temp is between 30-32c with cool & quite enabled. It can dynamically adjust up to 30 times a sec. If I use my wheel on my mouse to scroll a web page, it goes up to 1.6 or 1.8GHz for a fraction of a second and then drops back down to 1GHz again.

I think this feature is awesome! BTW, I don't have the stock fan, so my fan doesn't go up and down dynamically. I use a knob to adjust my fan speed.

The movement of AI characters in Thief3, and multiplayer starts in Raven Shield are messed up by C&Q. Switching from "Automatic" to "High Performance" mode under Win2K fixes the problem for me.

To use C&Q, you need to enable it in the BIOS and install the AMD processor driver.

Back