AMD: Zen 4, Speculation, Rumours and Discussion

I feel we're in situation in which there isn't a clear "best" CPU even just isolating for gaming. So if that was the expectation it's a bit disappointing.

I originally felt Zen 4 3D parts would open up a clear lead but later on Raptor Lake's higher scaling DDR5 and availability of said DDR5 started to give me some pause which turns out to be the case.

The cache structure though still follows a pattern in that certain games highly benefit from it. 7800X3D will the one to wait for (no wonder they've delayed it) for those that really value those games.
Generally the vcache CCD is faster for games, sometimes much faster. In cases where it is slower because of lower frequency, it isn't a huge difference. The only game I've seen which is significantly faster on the vcacheless CCD is CSGO and nobody can tell the difference between 677fps and 754fps (which despite being a 77fps difference is still only 11%). On a part like the 7950X3D I would prefer games always run on CCD0 with vcache if it removes the possibility of a game running on CCD1. Trying to figure out which games should run on which CCD is a neverending losing battle.

Though either would have to be L4 and would mean a bunch of extra CCD -> IO die traffic -> extra power and latency.
Data must be gathered from ram anyway, if you had another level just before you keep the same inter-dices traffic, reduce the latency by two order, and reduce pressure on main ram.

What will they do to fix Doom? And who will fix it (Microsoft or id)?
Probably not Microsoft if it's not a generalizeable solution, so then maybe iD. Also consider AMD has their own platform or chipset updates and perhaps they batch application "fixes" such as these into those larger platform changes.

So, it's basically a tad faster than the 13900k but uses, according to some of those comments 1/2 to 1/3 of the power while gaming. Really nice. Once prices for DDR5 drops some more I'll likely get a 7800x3D.

Just recently got a 5800x3D as a drop in replacement for my aging 3700x and it's absolutely fantastic.

Regards,
SB

So, it's basically a tad faster than the 13900k but uses, according to some of those comments 1/2 to 1/3 of the power while gaming. Really nice. Once prices for DDR5 drops some more I'll likely get a 7800x3D.

Just recently got a 5800x3D as a drop in replacement for my aging 3700x and it's absolutely fantastic.

Regards,
SB

Gotta get to a microcenter and the free ram lol

But anyway by the time ddr5 prices drop we will likely be talking about the 8800x3d lol

Gotta get to a microcenter and the free ram lol

But anyway by the time ddr5 prices drop we will likely be talking about the 8800x3d lol
Huh? DDR5 prices have plummeted already. Sure DDR4 is still cheaper but that's not the definition.

Saw that GamersNexus video over the weekend. That's a frickin' insane firmware miss on Gigabyte's part. I've been watching some internet chatter, it seems like there's a scant few people on the planet who actually write BIOS firmware and seemingly those folks are starting to retire or get pissed at their working conditions and just rage-quitting. Wonder if we should all be expecting a rash of firmware issues in the very near future...

Also wonder how hard it is to get into the business of writing good firmware ;)

Edit: Ugh, I typed Guru3D instead of GamersNexus. HTTP 101 Cannot brain today.

Last edited:
When I installed a 7950X3D, I thought the Vsoc of 1.35V is “normal” when using DOCP. The RAM requires 1.4V to run at 6000 anyway, and I didn’t think too much about it.
After updating the BIOS the Vsoc is at 1.25V and the RAM still runs at 1.4V (these two voltages are not really that related anyway) I haven’t seen any reliability problem yet and it’s actually runs a bit better because the lower Vsoc makes the CPU runs a bit cooler.

AMD's Ryzen Mobile 7040 series spans multiple key mobile product categories, ranging from the entry-level, which AMD segments as 'everyday computing' to its 'extreme gaming and creator' lineup for high-end and powerful gaming laptops. At the bottom of AMD's Pheonix Point series for mobile, the new AMD Ryzen Mobile 7040U series is comprised of four SKUs, which range from 8-core parts down to 4-cores; all of which include AMD's RDNA 3 integrated graphics. Phoenix also introduces AMD's Ryzen AI technology, an FPGA-based AI engine developed by Xilinx, which AMD claims are the first AI processor of its kind and is designed to accelerate AI workloads.

Only 7840U and 7640U seem to support Ryzen AI/XDNA, but not smaller versions like 7540U or 7440U. But what about 7840HS/7940HS? Do they have these AI cores?

Only 7840U and 7640U seem to support Ryzen AI/XDNA, but not smaller versions like 7540U or 7440U. But what about 7840HS/7940HS? Do they have these AI cores?
Based on quick search it's disabled on those, since AMD is marketing 7040U as first series to have them enabled (on select models). It's the same chip for all 7x40 so the hardware would be there, obviously.

It makes no sense for me to disable Ryzen AI/XDNA on cheaper APUs, whet it's one of the advantages compared to Intel's CPUs at the same price. And it makes no sense not to offer it on HS models.

7840U and 7640U with XDNA would be perfect for a Surface Laptop 6.

Yeah this sucks if that's the case. Wtf AMD? AI accelerators are going to be crucial moving forward. It makes no sense to disable them for the more expensive products.

Back