AMD: Zen 3 Announced [2020-10-08]

Discussion in 'PC Industry' started by TheAlSpark, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

I think this mention of memory bandwidth may explain why I was happy with my 6c/12t 3930k @ 4.5GHz for so long. I ran eight sticks of single-ranked 1600MHz CL7 1T 4GB DIMMs in the full quad channel configuration, which (even by today's standards) provides excellent memory bandwidth and latency numbers.

Intel Core i9-11900K Processor 16M Cache up to 5.30 GHz Product Specifications <- 50GB/sec memory bandwidth at "rated" speeds
    Intel Core i7-3930K Processor 12M Cache up to 3.80 GHz Product Specifications <- 51.2GB/sec memory bandwdith at "rated" speeds (ten years prior to the above...)

it wasn't a framerate beast, however it always seemed very fluid to me. I now suspect at least part of it was likely due to excessive memory bandwidth...

PSman1700, Lightman and BRiT like this.
  2. Davros

Legend

So what's the difference between single and dual ranked?

3. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Silent_Buddha likes this.
  4. Clukos

Clukos Bloodborne 2 when?
    Veteran

The IMC of the 5800X3D I got is crazy good compared to my old 5800X, it can boot up to 4333 MT/s 1:1, 4267 MT/s 1:1 seems to be the best performance though

[​IMG]

5. Rootax

Veteran

Funny how the L1 is kind of slow. But damn that L3 is nice...

6. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

@Clukos Mighty impressive clocks on that IMC!! Timings you run on these DDR4 memories are also great, must be preforming really well in games with these :)

7. Entropy

Veteran

Which of course suggests that the bandwidth wasn’t excessive after all.
    Bandwidth is underappreciated in benchmark(et)ing in general. The mere fact that in order to get consistent results, you need to run in a clean software environment where you don’t have a number of threads evicting the benchmarked process’ cache contents (which creates bus traffic and require refilling from memory) implies this. And benchmarks are typically selected to be largely bandwidth independent in the first place, because you are interested in (selling) advances in CPU/SoC technology, which being bandwidth constrained nullifies/hides.

Silent_Buddha and Gubbi like this.