AMD working on new, ground up x86 architecture

I think it would be better to aim higher in the performance spectrum with the x86 chip and leave the low power, semi-custom stuff to the ARM chip.
Why make the two compete with each other in the same market segments?
AMD needs something to take Bulldozer's place.

It could also be "top to bottom" core design, who knows. Some sites have said that it's indeed going to replace Bulldozer and it's children

its exactly what is made... along the K12 a new x86 high performance CPU is developped for replace Bulldozer..

http://techreport.com/review/26418/amd-reveals-k12-new-arm-and-x86-cores-are-coming

They say AMD is developing new ARM and x86 cores that are interchangeable, but a Bulldozer replacement would be too big for that.
So I guess the interchangeable x86 core will be a tweaked Jaguar core instead of a brand new design?
Either that or they are designing three new cores simultaneously, which seems unlikely.

Since I can't edit my previous post then please disconsider it. I should have read more carefully before replying.
So, "Skybridge" will be Jaguar and Cortex A57 sharing the same socket, then both of them and Bulldozer will be discontinued and replaced by just two brand new big x86 and ARM cores.
So it's the end of small x86 cores at AMD. Intel's Atom is the last contender.

I think it is pin compatibility in regard of a BGA package rather than strictly a socket. E.g. for use in a tablet.

Since I can't edit my previous post then please disconsider it. I should have read more carefully before replying.
So, "Skybridge" will be Jaguar and Cortex A57 sharing the same socket, then both of them and Bulldozer will be discontinued and replaced by just two brand new big x86 and ARM cores.
So it's the end of small x86 cores at AMD. Intel's Atom is the last contender.

Its not a complete roadmap of their next products, its just a little view on what is coming next.

I got the feeling if they launch an "ambidextrous " strategy, this is not for stop it and stop x86 for small ultra low power cores after the first one. In this case we will speak about a transition for small cores, not a strategy of use both at the same time / with same hardware system, working with same DDR, same GPU's.. ( thanks to HSA abstraction layer ).

Back