AMD, why are basic features missing on your gpu?

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by gongo, Mar 6, 2010.

1. ninelven

Veteran

Except, they are not (as far as the hardware is concerned). See OpenGL. AMD/NV could release a non-WHQL driver.

2. willardjuice

willardjuice super willyjuice
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

OpenGL != Direct3D. Triple-buffering for Direct3D is not amd's problem, but the developer's problem. I suppose you could petition Microsoft to change the API, but as it stands now one should blame the developer.

I also think that having amd/nvidia releasing drivers that stray from industry standards just because some developers are lazy will ultimately do more harm than good.

3. Silent_Buddha

Legend

What? Vsync has been under the control of software devs for quite a few DX revisions now. It's not AMD's nor Nvidia's responsibility to force triple buffering if the software dev doesn't want it enabled.

If the software dev doesn't have a preference and is too lazy to give users an option, go complain to the dev.

As long as TB isn't forced, I'm happy. I don't want triple buffering in any of my shooters, RTS and adventure games on the other hand it can be nice.

Regards,
    SB

4. ninelven

Veteran

You just don't get it... it has nothing to do with developers. FFS, I give up.

5. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

How can you say it has nothing to do with developers? From what I've seen, if you want to override or enable items the original developer had no intention of directly supporting, there are third party applications out there that allow for that.

6. Kyyla

Veteran

Oh cool. I didn't know that.

7. Davros

Legend

That time is now, people still play games that were released before aa/af were usable.

8. OpenGL guy

Veteran

Aren't those old games still adequately supported? The problem with forcing AA in newer titles as it requires much more work than the just turning on AA for the flip chain. Games employ multiple rendering surfaces, MRTs, multiple depth buffers, etc. How can the driver easily decide with buffers need AA? It can't, so then you're into app profiles, which means lots of extra work, possibilities of regressions, etc.

AA from the app's point of view is trivial: The developer knows what resources need AA and how that will impact other resources.

9. hoom

Veteran

Maybe it confuses that rule to have 2 screens of different native resolution?
    I have GPU scaling tickbox enabled for my 4870|cat 10.2|Win7 & both screens at their native resolutions.
    A: 1920*1200
    B: 1920*1080