AMD, why are basic features missing on your gpu?

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by gongo, Mar 6, 2010.

1. gongo

Regular

Features such as Triple Buffering (missing) and GPU display scaling (greyed out) seems to be bugged with my 4870. Why is the display calibration not improved beyond the same tiny graph-boxes in CCC? Why not have useful step-by-step guide like Windows 7? BTW is it possible to use the dual DVI ports, to send HDMI audio from one port to a AVR, and DVI video from the other port to monitor, separately but works concurrently?

A big tech company like AMD hires those bright MIT/Standford engineers and the team lead probably have decades of experience, it is a disheartening thought that such basic but useful features are not working as they should...../ends bitchy rant.

2. Colourless

Colourless Monochrome wench
    Veteran

You can only enable GPU Panel Scaling if your current desktop resolution is lower than your panels native resolution.

3. Davros

Legend

thats a bit daft, if you wanted gpu scaling with a 640x480 game you have to lower your desktop res before running it

4. Silent_Buddha

Legend

It's like that for both venders video cards in Vista/Win7, I believe. Not sure about XP.

Regards,
    SB

5. AlexV

AlexV Heteroscedasticitate
    Moderator Veteran

Because forcing it is a bit evil, and the control panel should really really not be doing that? It's the application's call. Just like V-sync, by the way. I also think that triple-buffering forcing is considered out of spec for anything DX10+ (not 100% sure, I'd have to re-read some bits).

6. willardjuice

willardjuice super willyjuice
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

I think forcing triple-buffering for anything Direct3D related (i.e even D3D 9, 8, etc) is out of specification. At least I never remember being able to force it back in the day (save for OpenGL).

7. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Yep it's like that for Nvidia hardware too on Win7. Seems really silly.

8. Karoshi

Newcomer

Why the out of spec? Makes no sense to me. What were they smoking?
    It's a useful feature, that should be the user's call. Some applications give the user the option to v-sync or set the render ahead buffers (BFBC2, for example). Others don't, for whatever reasons.
    It should be my choice if i want to have double buffering and low detail for max online fps slaughter (again, BFBC2) or triple buffering and smooth fps in the 40-50 range (stalker cop) instead of a horrible 30fps locked slideshow.
    User choices please :wink:

9. AlexV

Moderator Veteran

No it shouldn't be your choice via CP forcing. It's primarily the ISV's choice (hey, maybe he actually knows what he's doing with his own game and code and maybe doesn't want one extra frame of latency added?), and if the ISV opts for exposing this or that knob it's then the user's choice - only then. Drivers should never ever mess around and over-ride intended behaviour in this day and age. Once upon a time APIs were shit, and functionality was all across the board, and game programmers were young, so it sort of kind of made sense to force this or that, but today it makes none.

10. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

D3DOverrider that comes with RivaTuner is a totally kick-ass solution for that. Forces v-sync and allows for triple buffering. :)

11. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Except for lazy programmers who don't allow v-sync or AA options in there games. :razz:

12. Davros

Legend

Also nv cards have no scaling options if your connected via vga

13. AlexV

Moderator Veteran

You're missing the point, which is this: you feel like something should be in a game? Go kick the ISV in the gonads, it's his job to put it there. Because he knows(or should know!) exactly what the proper solution would be. Asking the IHV to over-ride intended behaviour is a bad idea, and perpetuating this attitude is ultimately detrimental to the aforementioned user, because it keeps his eyes of of the true target, which is software that properly implements functionality from the get-go.

14. FiggyG

Newcomer

It only affect Windows 7. Aspect scaling works correctly on XP/Vista while at native resolution.

15. Moloch

Moloch God of Wicked Games
    Veteran

It is a bit daft you have to use the work-around to change the scaling type for ATI, other then that, you're way off base.

16. Tamlin

Newcomer

That issue isn't limted to GPU's either. Many widescreens, Dells in particular, needs to be fed a non-native resolution signal before you can access the scaling options.

Optimal, I would prefer that the control panel have an independent scaling per resolution. My NEC screen (2690WUXi) have an independent setting for each resolution. If the resolution changes, so do the scaling options. I can even have an independent sharpness setting for each resolution. Would be cool if this would be possible in the GFX drivers. :D

17. Davros

Legend

my cheap ass lcd doesnt have any scaling options

18. Kyyla

Veteran

D3Doverrider causes some weird 2D app crashes on my Windows 7 64-bit. I had to stop using it since apps crashed at least once a day. It seemed to particularly hate Spotify, Steam and IM clients.

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Steam.exe
    Application Version: 1.0.811.113
    Application Timestamp: 4b7cc2ca
    Fault Module Name: D3DOverriderHooks.dll

19. ninelven

Veteran

No. If I thought that was the case, I'd be playing on a console and not a PC. It isn't a matter of responsibility.

20. willardjuice

willardjuice super willyjuice
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

Forced aa/af from the control panel is never the best case scenario (performance and image quality wise) and something that shouldn't be desired.