AMD unveils Catalyst Omega driver

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by lanek, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

I was wondering the other day why my R290X so often runs WoW at around 45FPS or so whenever the scenery gets complicated. So today (yesterday, now) I was trying out Logitech's Arx Control app for my new(ish) Orion 90,000 Spark (or whatever the hell it's called) keyboard. Max turbo clock is supposed to be like, 1050 or so on my model of card IIRC, but stops at 850ish in-game, which is really bizarre. GPU utilization's maxed out, so reasonably the card ought to run faster to bring up the FPSes, I'm thinking. The limited clock is not heat related, clearly, as fans run at almost silent speed, and the ASIC only reaches about 63C.

So I open up CCC to see if I can see anything weird. Overdrive's activated and set to downclock the GPU by 43%, although I thought I had turned that off, since it doesn't work properly for me in this driver version. Turning it off for realz sees clocks jump up in-game, so the overdrive setting really DOES work after all - in 3D games only - NOT when running compute jobs! How...typically AMD! Half-assing everything.

Still stuck at roaring fans and massive heat output when folding proteins, with the option of jerking up my gaming framerates with underclocked GPU. Truly the worst of both worlds.

I fucking hate Nvidia's insistence on proprietary crap at every turn, but I'm pretty sure I won't be buying any more AMD fail-GPUs with crappy drivers that don't work properly and aren't fixed for 6+ months.

2. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

I don't think you will be much happier on the other side. The new 900 series is really nice but it wasn't that long ago that we delt with the the 4x0 and 5x0 series and all their problems.

3. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

What problems did Fermi have? I had a 560Ti up until a few months ago when 970 made upgrading make sense. I don't remember any problems offhand. It certainly had a better run than my 6950 has had over the years.

#123 swaaye, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  4. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

the 480s were extremely hot and noisy . The 580s I believe had that bios that caused some to burn up.

The 970 now only uses 3.5gig at full speed and 500 megs at a much slower speed.

So its not all rosy on the other side.

BRiT likes this.
  5. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Wasn't it the dual-GPU 580s which had voltage regulators that quite literally exploded if you overclocked the card... D'oh. And NV has had several more instances of drivers that burned up your GPU by disabling the fan in the past as well. At least AMD hasn't done that, IIRC. :p

BRiT likes this.
  6. Davros

Legend

7. swaaye

Legend

That's actually the reason I got rid of a R9 290X.

No reviews noticed, even with frame time measurements and everything else they could throw in.

#127 swaaye, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  8. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

This isn't really right thread for this, though, but..
    How many of those review scenarios use over 3.5GB mem? Apparently the card doesn't go as easily over it as 980 does for example, but it still can go, when problems start appearing
    Here's video from MuroBBS user from Shadows of Mordor, using 2x GTX 970's in SLI

It's easy to note how the performance gets affected once memory use goes from ~3,5GB to ~3,6GB+
    Also, according to the guy who did the video, in the same level when there's rain/storm, he gets pink/purple flashing textures when ever lightning strikes, which would suggest that the card can't read something fast enough from the slow memory in those situations

Grall likes this.
  9. pharma

Veteran Regular

This particular issue was reported by others with a variety of cards ... the GTX 970, AMD 7950 and/or GTX 780 and is probably linked to graphics settings (Ultra) well beyond the capability of the card.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/241930/discussions/0/613937306877275288/#c613938575222461332

#129 pharma, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  10. Davros

Legend

"The GeForce GTX 970 is equipped with 4GB of dedicated graphics memory. However the 970 has a different configuration of SMs than the 980, and fewer crossbar resources to the memory system. To optimally manage memory traffic in this configuration, we segment graphics memory into a 3.5GB section and a 0.5GB section. The GPU has higher priority access to the 3.5GB section. When a game needs less than 3.5GB of video memory per draw command then it will only access the first partition, and 3rd party applications that measure memory usage will report 3.5GB of memory in use on GTX 970, but may report more for GTX 980 if there is more memory used by other commands. When a game requires more than 3.5GB of memory then we use both segments. "

11. Babel-17

Veteran Regular

12. Davros

Legend

How does vsr differ from supersampling ?

13. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

In the end it's the same - except that UI elements won't turn smaller with supersampling, but on the plus side you're not limited to some specific supersampling like 2x2 OGSSAA or something

14. swaaye

Legend

No the AMD SSAA modes are higher quality rotated grid sampling. Unfortunately few modem games work with forced MSAA/SSAA. If it works it will look better than the downscaling tricks though.

15. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

How could it ever look better than downscaling?

16. willardjuice

willardjuice super willyjuice
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

Rotated grids are better at catching aliasing issues in general. "Naive superscaling" (Nvidia's DSR and whatever AMD calls their version) are just grid implementations. More compatible but less effective...

17. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

Then it's another method of downsampling/downscaling. swaaye's post seemed to imply that rotated-grid sampling wasn't a downsampling method, hence my confusion.

18. willardjuice

willardjuice super willyjuice
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

Well there should be situations where even "rotated based" MSAA is superior to "grid based" SSAA. I'm not exactly sure what you're implying though (what counts as downsampling?).

19. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

Rendering the full scene at a higher resolution instead of just the edges of polygons or other selected zones.
    As costly as downscaling is, it supposedly contributes to texture detail and reduces texture and shader shimmering.

20. swaaye

Legend

Super-sampled AA has the same benefits to texture filtering and shader aliasing. That's the only reason to use it instead of MSAA+TAA.

Read up on the different forms of anti-aliasing. Downscaling is essentially simple ordered grid. NV runs a filter on top of it though that improves the end result a little at the expense of some blur. Makes me think of Quincunx. Today's super high resolutions are hiding the limitations pretty well and it certainly looks better than post-process AA.

Actually the GeForce2 GTS's anti-aliasing was a direct downscaling trick IIRC. No filter though. This was when everyone was mesmerized by Voodoo5's rotated grid SSAA.

#139 swaaye, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  21. Silent_Buddha

Legend

That rotated grid SSAA. It's the reason I got rid of my much much faster Nvidia card in favor of gaming on the V5 5500. And even after I was forced to stop using it (eventually it was just too slow for anything modern) having to live with texture aliasing and specular aliasing and all sorts of aliasing that RGSSAA mitigated so well was a royal pain. OGSSAA (what is usually used when someone refers to SSAA) is just a pitiful shadow compared to RGSSAA.

Regards,
    SB

Grall and Lightman like this.