AMD unveils Catalyst Omega driver

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by lanek, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

It's seriously strange how some people are plagued with issues on AMD drivers, yet many others have smooth sailing all around (granted, haven't tried gpgpu + 3d rendering simultaneosly)

2. SimBy

Regular Newcomer

Never had any problems with overdrive section. ASUS R9 290 OC Win 8.1 64. Have you tried reinstalling Windows?

3. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Ahaha. Okay, and I'll kill my kids if they ever catch a cold.

By the way, problem first appeared on a completely fresh win8.1 install, so not much help there!

4. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Computers with their software and humans aren't quite the same though, and unlike humans, wiping and reinstalling software (OS) actually does solve some issues which are caused by some bit gone haywire somewhere, which don't happen for most users

5. SimBy

Regular Newcomer

You do realize fresh re-install is one of the most common things one does when troubleshooting weird issues like that that persist many driver updates? If you're not ready to do that I suggest you go buy an XB1 or PS4. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches that come with troubleshooting PC issues.

6. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Mate, with all due respect, I've been building and maintaining my own PCs for seventeen years, so I think I have a fair grasp of the resolution of various issues. Nuking windows itself and starting over is not generally found at the top of any reasonably smart PC tech's troubleshooting bulletpoint list, for obvious reasons. And furthermore, I'm not the only person having issues with the overdrive panel in recent drivers either I would like to add.

7. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

What's wrong about the overdrive panel section exactly? Have you filed a bug report?

8. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

@Alexko Clock changing - either up or down - is completely locked with the two most recent WHQL drivers. The driver won't adjust clocks either through the overdrive panel or via 3rd party addons. All you can tweak is power limit, which doesn't really do anything helpful...

No idea how to file any bug reports. There's no information in the CCC that I can see.

9. Babel-17

Veteran Regular

https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1804917/
    That's still a thing in these drivers? I'm waiting on next months rumored Omega's for users of older cards like my HD 7950 so I haven't tried these. But, yeah, I lost the ability to change speeds with the 14.9's and have gone back to earlier ones.

10. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

That's odd. I think this is how we're supposed to report issues:
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/contact/email-form

11. CaptainGinger

Newcomer

12. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I have a GTX970, GTX670, and HD7950. They all work very well with no driver issues I'm aware of. Of course my brother is using the 7950 and he isn't quite a power user. From my personal experience I can say that NVIDIA drivers kick ass and have for about 5 years now. I love all the cool features (DSR!) and frequent updates to ensure new games work well. AMD seems to update drivers far less frequently but maybe that's because their drivers are so good they just don't have to. :grin:

13. Kaarlisk

Regular Newcomer Subscriber

Actually, it is at the top. It allows isolating issues. If I need to, I just take an empty hard drive, install Win7 on it in about half an hour, and check if the issue persists.

14. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

I'm only one sample point but both on my W8.1 and W7Pro (both 64bit) Windows partitions I haven't noticed any wired CCC bugs. Everything I'm using is working as expected (including over and under clocking). My system consists of MSI G45 Z97 Board, i7 4770k and R9 290X.

If you're sure about your Windows installation Grall, I would try to update VGA BIOS on your card.

Hope this helps tiny bit.

15. lanek

Veteran

Dont forget the guys who backup constitently their windows, and use it as " fresh " install... you cant imagine how much systems i have solved just by tell them to do a real fresh install, and stop use their flushed backup.

I use this driver and dont get thoses problems: I7 4930K, Asus x79 deluxe, 2x HD7970 (flashed to 1100mhz GHZ MSI bios ) .. I have install my old 5870's in my brother pc, and all seems work fine too.

This said if i want to OC i use MSI AB or Trixxx ( i use a specific version of Trixx who allow me unlimited Vcore )

#95 lanek, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  16. silent_guy

Veteran Subscriber

Doesn't matter if it's AMD or Nvidia: when you hear all these suggestions of reinstalling from scratch, I can't help but wonder why this has never ever been required for any of my Macs?

17. Kaarlisk

Regular Newcomer Subscriber

There are tradeoffs to the stability that Macs provide.
    And in any case, reinstalling from scratch is used to provide a "controlled experiment", not as a solution to a problem. Especially since, as lanek may have alluded to, there are a lot of people who consider themselves smarter than either MS or AMD, modify some registry setting or file, and then wonder about random crashes.
    Also, you cannot imagine how popular distributions of "XP cracked and modified with a Win7 theme, while updating it with some system files from Vista" are at least my corner of Eastern Europe.

18. -tkf-

Legend

You need better advice then. As other computers they will also slow down as software is installed.

19. Florin

Florin Merrily dodgy
    Veteran Subscriber

Telling people to reinstall is not really solving problems, though. It is substituting one headache for a whole set.

Sure, keep a fresh install or a sysprep around for sanity checks. It may occasionally save you time when you're searching for the real solution.

I've kept OS installs through multiple motherboards, from Intel to AMD and back again. Graphics cards from different vendors, boot drives on IDE, SATA, SSD and RAID, it doesn't matter. It can all be done. Reinstalls, like driver, registry and other dubious cleaners, are mostly about chalking up things to voodoo and giving up.

20. Florin

Florin Merrily dodgy
    Veteran Subscriber

They really only slow down if you let startup programs, services, plugins and the like run wild. Whether it's on Windows, Linux or Mac OSX, it's quite possible to keep your installations tidy and benchmarking with the best of them.