AMD unveils Catalyst Omega driver

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by lanek, Dec 5, 2014.

1. lanek

Veteran

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As they have break the NDA, remove the post if needed ( NDA end monday normally, )

#1 lanek, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
    Lightman likes this.
  2. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

Really happy with what AMD brings in this driver. I wonder if part of performance uplift comes from better optimization of high draw call scenarios in DX11 similar to what nVidia is successfully doing for months if not years now.
    OpenCL2.0! That means new APU is around the corner and this time will have most of it's HSA features supported out of the box :)
    FreeSync! I upgraded my main screen to 1440p 27'' beauty few months ago, but if there will be something reasonably priced ($350-$450) with FreeSync support available soon, I will grab it!

I'm looking forward to Monday release date!

3. lanek

Veteran

Monday is the press NDA date, i have no idea if the driver will be available at the same time so.

Aiee, the initial page have been removed , well if its a problem remove my thread till monday. i dont want spread problem about the NDA.

#3 lanek, Dec 5, 2014
  4. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

It's compared to launch driver, it would be a disaster if your drivers didn't bring you ~10% performance in a year on new chip
    Carrizo's release early'ish next year was common knowledge, wasn't it?

5. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

This is interesting. Maybe this will be an end to AMDs current history of lacklustre driver quality. *shrug* Or perhaps not, unless they decide to step up the WHQL release schedule from an incredible two drivers per year. :rolleyes: One can always hope, though.

Btw, NDAs have no meaning - legally or otherwise - if you never signed them. It's only enforceable if you actually agreed not to disclose the information until the end of the embargo period. :)

6. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

I know what slides are stating, but the now removed article referred to Cat. 14.11 beta 2.

Also regarding Carrizo I was stating the obvious :) It just is not like AMD to have software stack ready before silicon release.

7. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

That Virtual Super Resolution feature sounds like it's limited to 4K rendering downscaled to 1080p, as opposed to NVIDIA's more flexible solution. If so, it's better than nothing but a bit disappointing, and I wonder what technical restrictions may be in place.

It's also pretty weird to have an NDA for a driver.

8. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Likely so they can control review testing comparisons.

Nice how they compare the Omega to the initial release Catalyst driver and not their actual latest, still apparently decent gains I guess.

If that's true regarding the "VSR" then I much prefer my 970 and DSR since I can specify exactly what resolutions I want to downscale from which means it's very flexible for each game depending on how big the hit is.

9. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

The slide does say "up to 4K", though, which would suggest 4K is only the max virtual resolution available.

edit:
    videocardz has more slides up http://videocardz.com/54128/amd-announces-catalyst-omega-drivers-with-virtual-super-resolution

#9 Kaotik, Dec 5, 2014
    lanek likes this.
  10. lanek

Veteran

I should have posted this slide instead, ty Kaotik.+

[​IMG]

5K support + Eyefinity 24x displays + introduction on Freesync in the driver

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#10 lanek, Dec 5, 2014
  11. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

If I'm not mistaken, even in Eyefinity you can run 4K monitors, provided you use DisplayPort. So if you have 24 4K displays in a 6×4 grid, you get a total definition of 23,040 × 8,640 = 199,065,600 pixels.

That's almost 200 Mpixels from a desktop PC!

12. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Anyone remember the old homebrewed snake oil Omega drivers of yesteryear? Mixed and matched DLLs with mystical registry changes. Apparently AMD thinks the name carries some brand value! Weird.

Grall likes this.
  13. thatdude90210

Regular

One of the benefits of DSR on Nvidia cards is that with Elite Dangerous on a Oculus DK2, the text is supposedly sharper and more readable with DSR. There's a performance hit though so it takes a top end system to use it in that way. It would be interesting to see if VSR will be usable on my R9 290 for that.

14. lanek

Veteran

Text is too downsampled, so i dont see why it could not work the same way with VSR. (( little question, is the text are affected by AA ? you can still try to use supersampling too )

I Know some here who will be happy with some fixed bug:

-14.9 Install issues for intermittent crash or black screen after install Fixed
    -14.9 Catalyst™ Control Center issues have occasional AMDMantle64.dll error popups during install Fixed
    -Online video can sometimes crash when watching Youtube videos with hardware acceleration enabled Fixed

-Watching online flash videos in Google Chrome sometimes causes the browser to hang when hardware acceleration is enabled Fixed
    -Displays that go in to sleep mode intermittently causes the display to not wake up Fixed
    -AHCI Chipset Drivers can sometimes cause the system to crash on bootup Fixed
    -144Hz displays in AMD CrossFire™ configurations can cause intermittent crashing when launching D3D Applications Fixed

-Game stuttering or screen tearing in Quad CrossFire™ Fixed
    -State of Decay textures can intermittently extrude beyond their boundaries or be corrupted Fixed
    - HDMI audio stays disabled when a connected TV is disabled and then reenabled

#14 lanek, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  15. stiftl

Newcomer

I want to believe!

16. Freemantle

Newcomer

Any reason why the 79X0 series won't support VSR?

17. lanek

Veteran

At first i will say no, but well its maybe just a question of time, and will been updated later.

18. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Probably just want you to buy a new video card; after all, hawaii is 3 years old by now... :)

19. CaptainGinger

Newcomer

You mean Tahiti?

I heard it's a magical place.

TheAlSpark and BRiT like this.
  20. Babel-17

Veteran Regular

Yeah, that definitely came to mind. But now you got me thinking and I'll say that maybe the "Omega" represents the last driver release for the year and/or an upcoming replacement for, or a big change to, the suite of drivers going by "Catalyst". Though that wouldn't rule out a knowing wink to the Omega drivers many of us used to use.