AMD TrueAudio

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Davros, Oct 16, 2013.

1. karlotta

karlotta pifft
    Veteran

Hey now, thats very incorrect. ARMA3 is a CPU physX game and its much more than UBIsoft or Batman usage.

True Audio... cant come fast enough. Cause its not that a CPU cant do it all, its that Publishers dont give Devs money to do sound...( baseless fact), and if a Ubi or EA can just buy a Sound set,like middleware, then they tell the poor bastards that work for them to use it. And its viable because its on the Consoles, is in the lowend APUs, and its cool for gamers(well UBI hates gamers...) only $$ thats complaining is Intel and NV. But will it work for phones/tablets...?

2. Davros

Legend

No it isnt, if you play older games you do not hear the same audio as a user with a dsp
    Eax off is what you hear, Eax on is what i hear

3. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

X-Fi Titanium series can pump out DDL/DTS and EAX via Alchemy/OpenAL at the same time. I think the only other option is another Creative card with the DDL/DTS pack purchased.

I just bought X-Fi MB3 to experiment with and it won't pipe 5.1 through Realtek officially licensed DDL 5.1 (perhaps because it bypasses the Realtek driver's audio enhancements which DDL is part of). It will only do >2.0 output via analog connection (or perhaps HDMI PCM multichannel but I can't test that).

4. gamervivek

Regular Newcomer

snipers beware :runaway:

5. heli

Newcomer

Having played Doom 3 with EAX 4 HD and I have not heard any game sound like it since. The graphic side has advanced but audio side is standing still, or even going backward. So I am very excited about TrueAudio's resurgence with environmental audio. When Microsoft killed DirectSound 3D, it seems developers' interest in doing high quality audio processing also died off. Frostbite engines based games (e.g. BF2: BC, BF3) are only few I know still focus on audio processing in software. BF4 is going to have Mantle version, but will it have TrueAudio version?

6. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Nope. repi (Johan Andsersson from Dice) has already confirmed they are not implementing TA in BF4 at this time on this forum.

7. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

I have two interrogations mainly
    - Is TrueAudio DSP significantly more powerful than those from the late 90s/early 00s? (is it 50x faster, or 10x, or only 2x to 5x)
    - Will game ship with 24bit and/or 96KHz sound effects, and can current or future processing tasks benefit from it? (note : the output can be downsampled to 16bit/48KHz, I won't care)

Together, can the sound get really smooth and detailed with no distortion and loss of information, and with more subtle effects? EAX and various software implementations can sound "metallic" I think - It's what I think of the EAX examples above, though youtube can mangle it and it's maybe what firing guns in a simple simulated reverb'ing room sounds.

8. Relab

Newcomer

The Tensicilia DSP's are primary targeted at mobile soc's. I would probably not classify the cores as fully programmable DSP cores in the style of the Sharc series (used a lot in the professional segment) or similar - mostly because the Tensilica cores are inbetween a normal DSP and a fixed function system related to codecs and voice enhancements for mobile products.

For codecs and voice processing it would probably be 50x times faster, but other function it would be different. The Tensilica DSP's have 24x32 macs, but would need atleast 48bit for matching 32bit float IIR (filter) implementations - and we normally use 64bit float for filtering.

The reason why most of the effects sounds metallic is because the algorithms used are just not very good and it's not directly related to the processing platfrom. We're far away from the quality used in music/film productions - the convolution process will help game developers because it's very cheap in developing time (they don't need to simulate/emulate anything - just record the result from much better systems). The result isn't comparable to high-end simulations, but it's still way better than current algorithms used in the games.

#148 Relab, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2013
  9. Pinstripe

Newcomer

So if I read that correctly it means that TrueAudio effects like convolution reverb etc. can also be processed on non-TrueAudio hardware, provided my CPU is fast enough? With "correct processing capabilities" you mean 'raw CPU power', or do you mean special DSP requirements?

If that's the case, I feel relieved because otherwise I'd feel left out with my HD 7970 GPU.

10. pjbliverpool

Legend

Seems Intel will be debuting their own on chip audio DSP with Broadwell. This could be a major development IMO. With both AMD and Intel mainstream CPU's soon to be delivering hardware accelerated audio across their latest ranges we could start seeing developers make significant use of this.

On the other hand, it would seem to harm AMD's competitive advantage vs Nvidia in this regard. Why get an AMD GPU/APU with TrueAudio if your new Intel Broadwell based CPU also has a dedicated hardware DSP?

It will be interesting to see how the two compare at the hardware level to say nothing of software support.

http://www.extremetech.com/computin...ce-and-tdp-at-14nm-intel-finally-goes-fanless

It seems Smart Sound also allows "wake on voice" functionality, at least on Broadwell M. If that translates over to Broadwell Y we could see XBO like "PC on" voice activated functionality coming our way. That'd be pretty cool for a media centre PC setup.

11. gkar1

Regular

Why is that "a major development?" All of the things you are speculating on are already possible on AMD hardware (both consoles and laptops) and afaiu desktops using supported APUs.

http://community.amd.com/community/amd-blogs/amd/blog/2014/04/28

12. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

Using voice recognition on a turned off PC (in reality a kind of stand by, like any fully shutdown ATX PC is in) would be quite different.

Also, a buddy has some kind of face recognition login crap on his Windows Vista laptop. (one of the "helpful" additional pieces of software included in the base installation)

The downside is you have a mic listening, and thus an obvious security concern.

13. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Any computer with a mic could have it listening at any time and you'd never know it; having a PC in standby listening to its mic for your magic word to power up is no more a security concern than it would be if it wasn't listening for the magic word.

If you're paranoid, either fill the mic with epoxy, or better yet, sever the connection to the mainboard...

14. pjbliverpool

Legend

I explained why it could be a major development in the very next sentence. i.e. having both Intel and AMD CPU's coming with a hardware DSP as standard gives much more incentive for developers to make use of it.

Regardless of how good or capable AMD hardware is, it's not going to put DSP's on Intel chips. :wink:

15. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

Provided there's some sort of standard API—DirectSound 12?

Otherwise it's just more work for developers.