AMD Tech Day at Develop 2007

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by B3D News, Aug 3, 2007.

1. B3D News

B3D News Beyond3D News
    Regular

At the tail end of the Develop Expo and Conference this year, AMD held their Tech Day to talk about D3D10 graphics development, multi-GPU, multi-core CPU programming and more. Designed to educate games developers so they get the most out of AMD GPUs and CPUs, it's one of the only free tech tours the company does in the UK. This year they partnered with Microsoft again, and we showed up to cover it. <br /><br />Read the full news item

2. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Just curious --to what did they attribute the lack of attendance?

3. Silent_Buddha

Legend

An interesting read. However, from what I'm interpreting from the article AMD's high end R700 sounds like just a tweaked 2 chip crossfire setup on one board.

The potential problem I have with this is how will it handle multi-monitor setups. Currently with both SLI and Crossfire you either have dual GPU acceleration or you have multiple displays, not both.

If the high end R700 card is indeed a tweaked crossfire setup on one board. I'd personally find it unacceptable for use in any of my machines as disabling a display when playing a 3D accelerated game isn't something I find acceptable anymore.

Was there any word during or after the presentations that this issue is being addressed?

If not, AMD can certainly count on me not buying their next generation high end card.

Regards,
    SB

4. Rys

Rys PowerVR
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

The weather didn't help (recent flooding in the UK) and it seemed like a fair few attendees had to give it a miss because they were in crunch mode to ship titles. Seems like it's that time of year.

5. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Oh. Yeah, I wouldn't have thought of it, but I can see that now that you say it. If you're trying to hit holiday season, now is when you are crunching.

6. wingless

Newcomer

Good time to go 64-bit!

Two things stuck out to me in this coverage of the event. The AMD guys seemed to push the point that 64-bit is the way to go to get real performance out of their future architectures. The downside to that is the acceptance of 64-bit in the mainstream community may be low. We may not see the full potential of the next gen hardware unless we do. I've been using XP Pro 64-bit for 2 years now and large strides have been taken but the software support is still lacking all these years later.

The second thing I wanted to mention was about the current and future GPU's. I actually wanted to ask all of you graphics gurus here if you know enough about DX10.1 to know how well current DX10 hardware will scale to it. Are current cards, like the 2900XT, DX10-only or will they be fully compatible with new DX10.1 features too? Will this transition require all new hardware from AMD and Nvidia to accommodate the graphical changes in 10.1? I just got a 2900XT (hopefully I'm not too optimistic about the future) and I would hate for it to wind up being a DX10 DEAD END.

7. Rys

Rys PowerVR
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

10.1 compatibility is a bit of a grey area as far as currently available GPUs go. I think it's technically impossible for NVIDIA to support 10.1 in hardware with the three G8x GPUs they've released so far, whereas AMD would have more luck with RV6xx, but not R600. As to whether AMD will qualify and officially support 10.1 with any RV6xx products, we'll have to wait and see.

I don't think HD 2900 XT will ever support it sadly.

8. AlexV

AlexV Heteroscedasticitate
    Moderator Veteran

I`m retarded:what's the difference between RV6xx and R600 in terms of features that would warrant one hypothetically supporting 10.1 and the other not?

9. Megadrive1988

Veteran

R700 may or may not be "Crossfire on one board". I tend to think not, but that R700 will consist of two non-identical dies. much like in discussions from the past where vertex processing/geometry shading/tesselation/primative processing/setup etc gets done on one chip, while pixel shading/rasterizing/post processing, etc gets done on the other chip.

Then of course there will be Crossfire R700 where you can have 2 cards, thus 4 chips or even 4 cards thus 8 chips. this is logically what's going to happen over the next few years.

10. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

This runs counter to the idea of a unified architecture I think.