AMD releases Catalyst 6.12 and new Vista beta drivers

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by Geo, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

If this is December, then it must be time for Catalyst 6.12, and the folks at AMD have delivered both <a href="http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/radeonx-xp.html" target=_b3dout>Cat 6.12 for Windows XP</a> and a <a href="http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/vista32/common-vista32.html" target=_b3dout>new beta driver for Windows Vista.</a> The release notes for Windows XP claim CrossFire support for DirectX video acceleration, while for Linux AMD is touting X. Org 7.2 RC2/OpenSUSE 10.2 support. The Vista driver release seems to feature bug fixes primarily.

AMD urges Stanford Folding@Home GPU client users to NOT upgrade to Catalyst 6.12, but promises next month's installment will resolve the issue.

2. Cypher

Newcomer

Ooc, do any of the guys here that work at AMD know when the OGL Vista drivers are gonna be released?

3. IbaneZ

Regular

Oh, the news forum it is then. :wink:

So far, so good.

I don't know why I'm updating the cats every month though. I haven't had any problems since....hmm, can't remember.

Keep up the good work.

4. sireric

Regular

There's always going to be performance improvements and fixes. Some months will have more than others, but it seems "easier" to release on a regular basis.

The plan is to shoot for January for OGL on Vista. Stay tuned ;-)

digitalwanderer likes this.
  5. Colourless

Colourless Monochrome wench
    Veteran

And yay says everyone developing using OpenGL and wants to do compatibility testing on Vista

6. S@iN oNeZ!!

Newcomer

The quality of the new EATM (aa feature) in 6.12beta improved big time over the one in 6.11, still suffering from some flashes after entering a game, someone's been stunting with the setting over in the final 6.12?! any improvements!?

7. Killer-Kris

Regular

To the individuals responsible for the Black&White2 fix, I love you all!!!

These drivers have taken the game from an unplayable mess to running quite smoothly.

Thank You!!!

8. sireric

Regular

I believe that there was both a driver change and a game change for that.

9. Killer-Kris

Regular

Now I know one of the patches was supposed to improve performance, but that was released a while ago, why the large lag in the driver side of it?

And if I may ask, can you share any details on the nature of what was causing the performance problems?

10. sireric

Regular

I would of thought that this would of been fixed in the late summer time frame. It's possible that some new fix made its way in -- I haven't checked. The nature of the bug was related to vertex processing or fetching, I believe. As to the details, I actually really don't remember.

11. no-X

Veteran

12. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Yes, it looks pretty substantial, but largely at lower res. So I wonder if task balancing with the cpu is involved somehow.