AMD Radeon RDNA2 Navi (RX 6500, 6600, 6700, 6800, 6900 XT)

Has it been confirmed that the game will support RT on AMD GPU's from day one?
Nope. There is confirmation that the game is using DXR, but I'm guessing CD Projekt Red isn't going to do any kind of QA for running RT on the new RX 6800 cards.
Especially considering the QA team are probably the ones doing most of the crunch at the moment and the critical path is on them.

Just be glad if the game even comes out on December 10th, and someone bothered to test the game on a rare RX 6800XT.

My question there is: the RT is just for the setting right? Potentially could combine RT Medium with Graphics preset Ultra?
It looks like RT is just an on/off toggle in the display settings, yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well considering they've had RT hardware from Nvidia for 2 years now, compared to... a few weeks from AMD maybe?

They don't have dev kits? How are they planning on getting it running on the PS5 and Series X?

Edit- They likely had a Navi 21 based card sometime this summer, so at least a few months but likely longer than that.

That's what made me think those recommendations are possibly using DLSS, but even that wouldn't make sense as the 6800 should be as fast or faster in RT as a 2060 using DLSS.
The recommendations are using DLSS:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/cyberpunk-2077-system-requirements/

I guess the 6800 XT wasn't there because it isn't a "recommended" GPU for RT in Cyberpunk, as per Nvidia's marketing.

Has it been confirmed that the game will support RT on AMD GPU's from day one?
It should run at least.

Brian:
Cyberpunk 2077 uses the industry standard DirectX Ray Tracing API. It will work on any DXR-compatible GPU. Nothing related to Cyberpunk 2077 ray tracing is proprietary to NVIDIA.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-interview-discussing-ray-tracing-support-and-proprietary-extensions/

Last edited:
If the game is DXR, AMD has to bring in good drivers for the game too. Anyway, not a lot of people if any have these new cards now, so, they have time...

Well considering they've had RT hardware from Nvidia for 2 years now, compared to... a few weeks from AMD maybe?

They have been working with the new console hardware for quite some time now and it only need to see benchs to see where AMD cards are compare to Nvidia.

I also wonder if you can turn off certain rt effects. CyberPunk is the first game to use Ray-traced ambient occlusion, Ray-traced diffuse illumination, Ray-traced reflections and Ray-traced shadows all at once. Expectations are for hardware to be really pushed.

Damn...that's a lot. AMD cards will get crushed really hard. Nvidia will have DLSS to alleviate some weight but still.

Thank you for all the informations.
How does it relate to Navi10? Have Navi10 and Nav21 the same value?
No, of course not. Big Navi is some 60% faster in pixel fill and more than twice as fast in some triangle throughputs, not so much in others.

If this game is using Microsoft's DXR then the only optimizations we are talking about is related to different rt acceleration approaches used by Nvidia and AMD?

And drivers. AMD has so many problems with DXR games (UE4, Watch Dogs etc.). I think CD Project just doesnt have the time to bugfix AMD's problems and will wait for AMD to improve their DXR support.

The 6800/XT are on par with the 3070 on RT and very superior than the...2060
Maybe a premature conclusion but it looks to me like the 6800XT would be on par with 3070/2080Ti in games with lighter RT workload (one RT-effect like Metro Exodus and Tomb Raider) and behind in games with higher workload/multiple RT-effects (Control, Minecraft). Cyberpunk has multiple RT-effects.

I also wonder if you can turn off certain rt effects. CyberPunk is the first game to use Ray-traced ambient occlusion, Ray-traced diffuse illumination, Ray-traced reflections and Ray-traced shadows all at once. Expectations are for hardware to be really pushed.
Yes, you can:

https://translate.google.com/transl...cyberpunk-2077-grafikoptionen-pc,3364178.html

(Surprised Google translate works so well here)

Maybe a premature conclusion but it looks to me like the 6800XT would be on par with 3070/2080Ti in games with lighter RT workload (one RT-effect like Metro Exodus and Tomb Raider) and behind in games with higher workload/multiple RT-effects (Control, Minecraft). Cyberpunk has multiple RT-effects.
It looks to be between a 2080 Super and 2080 Ti/3070 in Control, and almost on par in Fortnite RTX.

https://techgage.com/article/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-rx-6800-gaming-performance-review/2/

Yes but still the 6800XT *has* be to be at least on par with the 2060. I can't believe you can't play on the XT at 1440P with "low" or "mid" RT.

Games like Cyber Punk will be great for performance reviews that create an RT matrix and test rt effects separately and in combination, especially after AMD's driver/accelerator issues are resolved.

Personally, I don't totally agree with HUB, because I think RT is going to be important if you want to use the card for the next six years (console gen). I don't think they're really biased though. They're just more concerned with what they can bench know, and you can't really know if the current state will be reflective of the future. Just a different mindset, but I wouldn't call it bias. Also I'm pretty sure they've ripped AMD at times in the past.

In the Hardware Unboxed review:

"I care very little for ray tracing right now where there are almost no games where I feel it is worth enabling". The two games they do test - Dirt5 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider - have 'pointless ray traced shadow effects' (which I think even ardent advocates of RT will agree they are not impressive implementations, SOTR was widely known as having pointless RT).

Later in that Twitter thread:

Well, yes. Also, Metro Exodus. Those games all support DLSS to boot as well, so the argument that he makes where the improvements 'come at too high a cost to performance' don't necessarily apply in those examples either, as that's what DLSS can help with.

I agree that leveling accusations of 'bias' is largely pointless, it just brings in unneeded contention when the quality of the review is what matters, their motivations are largely irrelevant. They may not be biased towards AMD, but the review is pretty shoddy in several aspects. You can simply include DLSS/Ray Tracing examples and then state that the relatively small number of them at this point mean that you can't deduct points for AMD based on potential future promise. To only include two games with the weakest implementations of RT so far though and ignore numerous other examples of far more impressive titles, and compounding that by just sweeping away DLSS entirely is just misleading your audience.

Yes but still the 6800XT *has* be to be at least on par with the 2060. I can't believe you can't play on the XT at 1440P with "low" or "mid" RT.

Maybe there is driver bugs or something along that line preventing ray tracing from working? Or perhaps it's minecraft/control type of performance situation? Those games are barely playble in 4k without dlss. In other news godfall has rt enabled only on amd hw at the moment.

upload_2020-11-20_10-52-36.png
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/the-amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-and-rx-6800-review

Yea, probably just a Nvidia marketing thing to leave Radeons out of the RT requirements table.

Back