AMD Radeon RDNA2 Navi (RX 6700 XT, RX 6800, 6800 XT, 6900 XT) [2020-10-28, 2021-03-03]

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by BRiT, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

We'll have to wait and see, but I wouldn't put too much weight on an interview pre-dating latest delays.

Lightman likes this.
  2. arandomguy

Newcomer

The reporting on that is misleading because the original source was for an interview done for a magazine published mid October prior to the RDNA2 series even being announced. Even now RNDA2 information is not fully disclosed and still under NDA, so unless it's a partnered/cross marketing situation it would not make sense (or even be possible, as unless specific partnerships exist the developer won't be privy to advanced information either) for a developer to discuss it in an official capacity.

Kej, Lightman, Scott_Arm and 4 others like this.
  3. ethernity

Newcomer

upload_2020-11-3_16-20-14.png

@Rys just released v6.0 of the AMD GPU services

T2098, Lightman, Alexko and 5 others like this.
  4. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

You mean the games using Nvidia’s Vulkan extensions because the main Vulkan api doesn’t support RT yet? I know it’s fun to hate on Nvidia but I don’t think this is one of those times.

What we don’t know is whether the DirectX/DXR games have any proprietary cruft. That would be quite stupid if they did.

DavidGraham, Lightman, Rootax and 4 others like this.
  5. Scott_Arm

Legend

Yep. Vulkan didn't have a ray tracing api until March 2020. Up until that point it was NV extensions only. Wolfenstein Youngblood added ray tracing in January 2020, before the Vulkan api was available.

6. SimBy

Regular Newcomer

Can they (imaginary game studio) really claim its DX12U/DXR compliant game if it uses some weird vendor exclusive extensions that break it to the point where it only works on a single vendor? Not sure how MS feels about that.

7. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

I think so. DirectX games use proprietary stuff all the time. Gameworks, nvapi etc.

8. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I thought that some early "RTX" titles used some proprietary Nvidia Optix libraries to integrate raytracing. I'll honestly be surprised if every non-Vulkan game works out-of-the-box with RDNA2.

9. SimBy

Regular Newcomer

I'm talking about DXR specifically.

10. Scott_Arm

Legend

I'm not sure. Maybe Minecraft RTX? Is it vulkan or d3d? I thought Direct3D did not allow proprietary extensions, so anything would be built on top of DXR, which should make it run on pretty much any family of gpu.

11. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

Aren't things like GameWorks, NVAPI etc "on top" of Direct3D?

12. Scott_Arm

Legend

No idea. I have no idea what either of those things are, or do.

13. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

They could still claim DXR support. Using Microsoft's api technically doesn't prevent you from requiring other apis in your game.

Some of the shader based stuff like TXAA and HBAO is based on DirectX. I think the physics stuff (Flow, Flex) uses CUDA though.

14. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

Metro Exodus...would be surprised/shocked if RT ran out of the box on AMD GPUs..

Malo, ToTTenTranz and BRiT like this.
  15. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

I fear for Cyberpunk to be honest. CDProjekt Red has a history of using nvidia-centric optimizations that hurt performance on AMD GPUs, like Hairworks on Witcher 3.

16. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

Agreed, I think people are going to be surprised at the number of titles that will be available. Publishers aren't going to update past titles either.

17. SimBy

Regular Newcomer

Well I guess it's good MS is buying all the game studios then. You won't see any GameWorks in those titles. It could be detrimental to Vulkan adoption though.

Lightman likes this.
  18. tsa1

Newcomer

I'd be surprised if there were not some sort of legal clauses for all explicit RTX titles (some form of MDF agreement that is mutually beneficial for nVidia and the game devs themselves). What I mean, there can be no technical obstacles for those titles to run on the other DXR capable GPUs without any modifications but the devs might have to officially deny that or even implement some measures to prevent their products from running on an "unauthorized" hardware if it's permissible by law.

19. pharma

Veteran Regular

Smart Access Memory already works on Linux and is not exclusive to Zen 3 or Navi 2x

20. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Hopefully they open it up to Zen2 CPU's as well. It'd certainly help tip the scales on my next GPU purchase.

pharma and PSman1700 like this.