AMD Radeon RDNA2 Navi (RX 6500, 6600, 6700, 6800, 6900 XT)

The reason there is a shortage, is because almost all the cards made, stayed in china. Go on, try tracking the "shortage", or reason why there are so little elsewhere... who got paid for them all?

As a consumer, I would not care whatever the reason is, but what I have to pay.
As a technically interested forum user, I'd say in the meantime there's cards in stock, but they still are for sale at greatly inflated prices. Which, at first glance, seems to be the shops trying to milk customers who by now are beginning to see these exaggerated pricing as the new normal so to speak.

I dont even know what the msrp of cards is supposed to be
Go to the shop at AMD.com and you'll see the MSRP for all cards and CPUs. They've changed a bit throughout the months, but not by much, only a handful percent AFAIK.

only 6900xt and rx550x available
£2084.39 and £212.39
but if I select Germany it says 6900xt 1451.98 euro's
I get no results matched your search if I select U.S

only 6900xt and rx550x available
£2084.39 and £212.39
but if I select Germany it says 6900xt 1451.98 euro's
I get no results matched your search if I select U.S

I don't see a drop down so not sure if this is $US or $CDN. All products out of stock,

6700xt $601.98
6800 $727.65
6800xt $815.62
6900xt $1255.47

The reason there is a shortage, is because almost all the cards made, stayed in china. Go on, try tracking the "shortage", or reason why there are so little elsewhere... who got paid for them all?

Speaking of, can someone explain the benefit of AIBs to AMD and Nvidia? Like, at all? If there's enough money to make it worth it for them to buy dies and all the other components, build the board and assemble the product, and then sell it onto retailers who get it to customers... why wouldn't it be worth it to Nvidia and AMD to vertically integrate that and get that money for themselves? Hell both would have more scale than any AIB and so benefit from better purchasing power and margins, they'd make more money than the AIBs if anything. AIBs add virtually no benefit to consumers, and beyond "we don't want to" add no value to AMD or Nvidia either. They already do all the engineering, they already contract out building the dies, they already have cooling solutions, they already do 99% of the marketing. AMD and Nvidia both even have direct relations with retail channels and departments that handle warranty claims and etc.

Why are AIBs still around?

Speaking of, can someone explain the benefit of AIBs to AMD and Nvidia? Like, at all? If there's enough money to make it worth it for them to buy dies and all the other components, build the board and assemble the product, and then sell it onto retailers who get it to customers... why wouldn't it be worth it to Nvidia and AMD to vertically integrate that and get that money for themselves? Hell both would have more scale than any AIB and so benefit from better purchasing power and margins, they'd make more money than the AIBs if anything. AIBs add virtually no benefit to consumers, and beyond "we don't want to" add no value to AMD or Nvidia either. They already do all the engineering, they already contract out building the dies, they already have cooling solutions, they already do 99% of the marketing. AMD and Nvidia both even have direct relations with retail channels and departments that handle warranty claims and etc.

Why are AIBs still around?
Careful now, the last company to ask that question was 3dfx.

Not ignoring needing investments for manufacturing equipment, buildings and costs for added logistics and so on, If you need to build a factory for that, it is quite probable your ROI is quite low, especially having to do with a market which is already quite competitive with low margins..

Nice, didnt even catch the existance of a RX6600XT, according to techpowerup were looking at a 10.24TF, 8GB gddr6, 2.5Ghz gpu (with a 2200mhz base clock).
Its about the lowest end AMD has, and in raw performance should match and probably exceed what a pascal 1080Ti was doing + ray tracing support and other modern features at a 180w tdp. Quite impressive.
Might be something for my sisters pc.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-6600-xt.c3774

Aren't these supposed to be small GPUs being put into small PCBs with 4 chips of GDDR6 and 100-150W of power consumption?

Why do OEMs insist so much into making ridiculously sized graphics cards with 3 fans for low and mid-range SKUs? I wonder how much of it is them just trying to make the card look more expensive.

I mean this was supposed to be the reference card + cooler for the RX 6600XT:

images.php.jpg

Aren't these supposed to be small GPUs being put into small PCBs with 4 chips of GDDR6 and 100-150W of power consumption?
160W and yes!
Why do OEMs insist so much into making ridiculously sized graphics cards with 3 fans for low and mid-range SKUs?
Probably an idiot trap.
There are usually cheaper and saner SKUs available.
I mean this was supposed to be the reference card + cooler for the RX 6600XT:
Not actually real.
So, what are its real specs?
Amp the clks a bit for 6600XT.

Why doesn't AMD just implement a queue system where they cross-reference PayPal IDs and shipping addresses?
Wow.. it looks like AMD is implementing a queue system today.
They're assigning people in randomized places in line if they try to access the storefront before 9h CDT / 15h GMT.

I guess in about 3 minutes I'll know what this is all about.

EDIT:
Still don't know what this is about, but it looks like they're taking the orders customer-by-customer.

Untitled.png

(EDIT: I hid my queue ID bu I have no idea if that makes any difference)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back