AMD Radeon RDNA2 Navi (RX 6700 XT, RX 6800, 6800 XT, 6900 XT) [2020-10-28, 2021-03-03]

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by BRiT, Oct 28, 2020.

1. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

Yes well no clear numbers then (10% of the total geforce userbase??? lol). The pc market is arguably larger then the PS market, and since no GPU being manufactured since last year is lacking ray tracing, i see no problems there. Actually the largest market will probably the pc.

Yes, somehow, userbase and consoles made its appearance here.

2. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

10% of the total geforce users would be a good solid number and I optimistically want it to be at least that to progress the use of RT in game development. One problem I have though is Nvidia simply counting numbers of units sold? For Ampere that's going to be a majority of their units in mining rigs, not in gamers' hands. There's a bunch of folks just here that have 3070's and 3080's sitting in mining rigs doing nothing.

I like to think that those GPUs will eventually end up in the hands of gamers but that's only going to be true for a portion of those cards, even after another eventual bust of the mining economy, whenever that may be. By then we'll likely just have the next generation and you'll have this black hole of the Ampere generation.

Silent_Buddha likes this.
  3. Putas

Regular Newcomer

Do we know whether Navi 12 or TU117 are no longer being manufactured? In the current situation, AMD may sell freaking Polaris for more than five years ago.

4. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Yup the amount of NV RT capable cards in gamer's machines is likely quite significantly lower than the amount of cards that NV has sold. Same goes for AMD. At least for the next few years consoles will be the driving force for adoption of RT into most AAA titles, but I expect developers that have enough budget may include RT above and beyond what the consoles are capable of.

I'm now in a position where I'm interested in a new card that has HDMI 2.1 (to use with my new TV), but there just isn't anything available to easily buy without camping the stores or paying an exorbitant price. Hopefully the market crashes soon then maybe I can pick a used card up for cheap on Ebay or something. I don't even care if it has RT or not. :p

Alternatively, a DP to HDMI 2.1 adapter would be great, but those are still mostly non-existent. The only one I saw on Amazon was REALLY unreliable and flaky.

Regards,
    SB

5. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

6. Silent_Buddha

Legend

7. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Guess the quality has gone downhill with HDMI 2.1 requirements or the ones I know using older gens were lucky

8. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Well, it is a first gen product. So who knows if the problems are inherent in the chip that is being used or in Club 3D's implementation of it.

But considering it's the only DP to HDMI 2.1 converter that I've seen so far, I'm guessing the chip may be buggy and thus other companies are steering clear of it for now.

Regards,
    SB

9. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

BFV did Ray tracing and so did many more since 2018.
    Just like low-end gpus will be or are the 'driving force'. Anyway, already in the now and today, RT is already far and far above whats in console versions. Theres a thing like scaling. Even on consoles (XSS, switch/nintendo consoles).

10. pharma

Veteran Regular

Gigabyte Radeon RX 6700 XT Gaming OC review - Introduction (guru3d.com)
    April 9, 2021

PSman1700, Lightman and Silent_Buddha like this.
  11. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Well, the performance is decent compared to my aging 1070, so I was thinking to myself, "maybe the miner's won't want this card as much."

What foolish foolish thought. Go to Amazon and they are 1200-1400 USD. /sigh. Ummmm, nope. I guess that's better than the 0 available RTX 3060s though. :p Bleh.

Regards,
    SB

12. Frenetic Pony

Regular Newcomer

"Because we fucking can you dumb motherfucker."

-AMD

13. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

And does Nvidia, they just didn't update the MSRP for mining craze levels.

I don't get these reviewers who live in a bubble / denial / sheer dishonesty over the fact that 99.9% of the cards aren't being sold at MSRP and disparage AMD for the 6700XT's MSRP.

A $480 6700XT sold at AMD's website has (unfortunately for consumers) an insanely higher price/performance ratio than all the other modern graphics cards being sold in etail and retail, yet these guys bend over backwards to make it look like a bad deal.

This guru3d guy is even complaining about infinity cache by pretending to know its hit rates will somehow be worse in the future.
    How far has that site fallen.. it used to be a reference to me. Sad.

no-X, Mat3 and ethernity like this.
  14. OlegSH

Regular Newcomer

Haha, how is that any diffirent to you and everybody else pretending to know video memory requirements of future games? 8 GB is not future proof, right?:roll:
    Growing your data sets won't do any better for caching, that's the rule.

PSman1700, Rootax, pharma and 2 others like this.
  15. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Is Hilbert really this biased, or doesn't he just know better?
    NVIDIA doesn't have "machine learning super-sampling dedicated in hardware". They have DLSS running on Tensor cores aka Matrix units, but they aren't dedicated or even designed to accelerate DLSS spefically.
    Also AMD has implemented Matrix units just like NVIDIA has, they just didn't put them into consumer hardware.
    One could just aswell argue "GDDR6X is designed to be a workaround to fill an imperfection in GDDR6", or tons of other similar ridiculous comparisons. There are several roads to a goal (which in this case is usable memory bandwidth), why would a big cache be any more of a "workaround" than any other means to the end?

Wesker likes this.
  16. Bondrewd

Veteran Newcomer

How is dodging the shittiest memory standard since RDRAM even bad anyway.
    Nvidia good AMD bad has been the GPU market since ~2012 and nothing would change for some time more.

17. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

It's not a standard, though, it's just Microns product. JEDEC hasn't touched it.

Putas likes this.
  18. OlegSH

Regular Newcomer

Because it has more performance pitfalls?
    Any pointer chasing workloads, such as ETH, BVH, any random sampling, etc do not scale well with cache sizes.
    Cache's hit rates tend to fall of the cliff with higher resolutions, larger data sets, increasing randomness of memory accesses.
    Cache as bandwidth amplifier is ok for certain things, but that's not a magic wand, which was all of a sudden just discovered by AMD.

DavidGraham, yuri, PSman1700 and 2 others like this.
  19. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

For a gaming card it seems to be good enough imo. And maybe it's a first step in a memory architecture with chiplets sharing datas ?

20. Bondrewd

Veteran Newcomer

Not all mem standards are JEDEC lol.
    Yes it is (just a bit tricky and pricey in its own way).
    What was the last time you've seen a GPU just scale with moar MHz pumped into it?
    No shit.
    G6X is just a dumb attempt to get more offchip b/w without relying on pricey and hardly ever readily available HBM.

ToTTenTranz likes this.