AMD Radeon RDNA2 Navi (RX 6700 XT, RX 6800, 6800 XT, 6900 XT) [2020-10-28, 2021-03-03]

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by BRiT, Oct 28, 2020.

1. CarstenS

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Lightman and Malo like this.
  2. Bondrewd

Veteran Newcomer

Needs beefier cooling for lower thermals yeah.
    Most 6700XT also hang around ~2520 but with more pleasant fan profiles.

Oh btw what's the median perf % gain over 5700XT?

3. CarstenS

Don't have a median at hand. From a quick glance, I'd say around 25-ish %.

Lightman likes this.
  4. Bondrewd

Veteran Newcomer

Oh nice.
    Time to chart all 36/40 CU parts from AMD in recent memory on perf/power/gen-on-gen-gains.

Lightman likes this.
  5. Leoneazzurro5

Regular Newcomer

If you use TPU numbers, it's around 30% at 1440p (target resolution). Which is confirmed by the other two reviews I've seen.

6. Rodéric

Rodéric a.k.a. Ingenu
    Moderator Veteran

I did some cleaning in the thread that is strictly RDNA2, and nothing else. (Keep your personnal issues out of here.)

7. Bondrewd

Veteran Newcomer

See?
    It's in limbo.

ToTTenTranz likes this.
  8. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

256bit LPDDR5? On 6400Mbps chips that's a wopping 204.8GB/s, on a 9W SoC! This is on the level of a PS4 Pro so it's well above the power level of a Xbox One (even more if they got Infinity Cache in it).

There's just no way this thing isn't / wasn't a gaming-focused SoC.

Maybe Panos Panay put this in limbo until they know exactly what the Switch successor is bringing to the table?

9. Dampf

Newcomer

Woah, I did not know LPDDR5 was capable of these speeds. That would mean unified LPDDR5 memory is the ideal way to go on a SoC as it provides similar memory bandwidth to GDDR for the GPU and at low latencies crucial for the CPU.

10. Bondrewd

Veteran Newcomer

Yeah.
    It's labeled "premium FF laptop" so idk lol.
    No it missed some MS targets.
    LPDDR isn't particularly super-low-latency either way.
    But yes it's good at that.

11. snc

snc
    Veteran Newcomer

12. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

So comparable to an Xbox Series S then. Better if it has infinity cache. Impressive.

PSman1700 likes this.
  13. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

LPDDR5 has similar performance to ~2015 GDDR5, but at a fraction of the power consumption in load and almost no power consumption in idle. Latencies AFAIK are worse than the cheaper DDR4, though the L3 cache size in the latest CPU architectures has been steadily growing, too.
    Regardless, LPDDR evolution has truly been astounding this past handful of years.

Sounds like a good match for Infinity Cache, then.
    Though I know we shouldn't reallistically expect IF inside a 9W SoC. I also heard there's no raytracing in Van Gogh, sadly (or at least not enabled in the latest Linux driver commits).

Lightman likes this.
  14. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Beefier cooling doesn't seem to do much for clocks.
    6700 XT Strix has almost the same cooler as RTX 3080 & 3090 Strixes (same size, on quick check 6700 XT Strix weights 1.67 kg while 3080 Strix sits at 1.75 kg), but our sample didn't clock much higher than the rest - 2550 in games, while MSI was at 2535, Gigabyte 2520, PowerColor 2475 and reference 2430 (performance mode clocks for those which had more than one profile). It OC'd up to 2740 when OC slider was set to 2850. Also, it has the highest power budget of all 6700 XT's we've seen so far.

Lightman and BRiT like this.
  15. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

That's weird. TPU claims to have pushed their Asus Strix to 2840MHz.

16. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

I have heard there is an issue inside the samples that would take a to long to fix and put it to close to its successor and so it was passed over (esp with the limited fab capacity at hand)

I have been vocal about a Series S level hand held by MS featuring an updated zen architecture along with navi 3. Ms does not want to have an issue where the handheld is to far behind the consoles. It will cause even more dev split. That is why the S is the target. They will get there with a bit of raw power and enhanced design.

RDNA 3 will give a big boost to ray tracing and for traditionally rendering they are looking at another 20-30% performance uplift.

I'd put forth a 1440p 8inch screen with a 4ish Tflop gpu with 64-96megs of IC and 10 gigs of ddr 5 ram on 5nm .

The other bit of sauce would be a second gen ssd cart. Yes it will come with 512-1tb (depending on cost of course at the time) but it will use a new generation of ssd cart. Except a smaller cart size vs what is in the Series systems. However it will still work on the series system as it will be the same speed but will step down converter for size and or a external attachment that will allow for multiple carts to be used.

If MS does launch this the biggest things that they are waiting on are DDR5 and 3/5nm 2023 would be the target date. If they go through with it is anyones guess.

Lightman likes this.
  17. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

There's obviously variaton card to card, but point was that even with extra beefy cooler (which also shows in temps) the card isn't running away from the competition and instead runs around same clockspeeds as the rest, just at lower temps.
    In TPU's tests it was in the middle of the pack on average MHz:
    PowerColor Red Devil 2486 MHz
    AMD Reference 2491 MHz
    MSI Gaming XT 2539 MHz
    Asus Strix OC 2549 MHz
    Sapphire Nitro 2553 MHz
    XFX Merc 2558 MHz

It's temps were however in the league of their own, even their silent bios being cooler than the competition (a bit louder too, though)
    upload_2021-3-17_21-36-14.png

ToTTenTranz likes this.
  18. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

In a disappointing blow to all the 78 people on the planet who own a RDNA2 card to actually play games, AMD's Scott Herkelman told PC World that FidelityFX Super Resolution (officially now called FSR) is still going to take some time to arrive but "they're confident they can bring it this year", which makes the old pessimist me assume it's coming late December 2021 or January 2022.
    He also said it may not even use machine learning at all.

Lightman likes this.
  19. CarstenS

In other news, the RX 6700 XT has sold out in minutes again. This time, at least i was able to put it in my cart at AMDs shop, but the checkout process timed out and when it worked lateron, the stock was already gone.

It was a nice, cozy feeling for a minute to almost get a new graphics card. Next stop maybe Nvidia.

Kej, Silent_Buddha, Lightman and 2 others like this.
  20. sonen

Newcomer

RDNA 2 has gone extra-terrestrial?
    :huh: