AMD Radeon RDNA2 Navi (RX 6500, 6600, 6700, 6800, 6900 XT)

It doesn't really explain it either, see the Gigabyte failure (and I wouldn't be surprised if there were others ending up worse than reference, too)
Which Gigabyte failure? I have not yet seen performance results from non-reference 6700XT-

Which Gigabyte failure? I have not yet seen performance results from non-reference 6700XT-
Of course we don't know yet for sure how 6700 XT's will turn out, but I was referring to Gigabyte's 6800 XT "Gaming OC" which is notably bigger but still worse than AMD reference model. When you can slap "OC" branding on something that's performing worse than reference stock model, it's clear you're not building that big cooler because you need 30 - 50 MHz extra to please the customers, you build it big because it's cheaper and can fool people with the size (thought process of bigger cooling = better).

To be honest, I actually wondered if they would cancel the presentation or do it in the lowest-key way possible - in this current situation getting the media highlights always invites two questions - "where is the stock" / "stop the miners" which both ati/nv can't realistically solve.

Bigger is not always better, you can have a huge heatsink with low area of the fins, terribad heatpipes, direct die contact (what Asus and Gigabyte did with their Hawaii cards and what earned them the "loud and hot" rep, not just the reference mini-airjet turbine). In general, there's been only a few non-AMD-exclusive vendor GPUs that were at least decent (5700xt from gigabyte, 6xxx cards from Asus), others were either overpriced or bad and overpriced.

Bigger is not always better, you can have a huge heatsink with low area of the fins, terribad heatpipes, direct die contact (what Asus and Gigabyte did with their Hawaii cards and what earned them the "loud and hot" rep, not just the reference mini-airjet turbine).
Thank you, yes, I am aware of all that. I was just wonderin, if there was an especially drastic example of failure which i might have missed, which Kaotik already pointed out.

Is anyone releasing a card with a blower style cooler? I really don't want to use a cooler design that dumps the heat into the case, nor do I want to use water cooling.

Regards,
SB

To be honest, I actually wondered if they would cancel the presentation or do it in the lowest-key way possible - in this current situation getting the media highlights always invites two questions - "where is the stock" / "stop the miners" which both ati/nv can't realistically solve.

I think it's a situation that AMD and nVidia can solve it if they hoard most chips and cards to themselves and sell them directly to customers by making rigorous identity and address checks while limiting purchases to one card per "person+address" ID. At least in the EU I think this could be done.

The question here is whether or not they want to. There's a lot of money to be made by selling cards directly to tax-exempt miners and foregoing distribution+retailer costs.

The question here is whether or not they want to. There's a lot of money to be made by selling cards directly to tax-exempt miners and foregoing distribution+retailer costs.
You're completely missing the issue of AIB partners being left with nothing to sell in this case as well as the fact that neither NV nor AMD has any means of global videocards distribution. Simply put - no, they can't.

I think the draw stream binning rasterizer functionality might not exist on RDNA2 since they removed DFSM (Definite Finite State Machine) with GFX10.3 ...
It's still there. DFSM required binning, but binning didn't require DFSM. And the DF in DFSM didn't stand for that.

Don't get why people got so excited about BAR support on zen2 - as far as I know, people successfully use it even with Zen+ CPUs and it can be enabled on basically any AMD GPU if you use specific driver version from November in which they forgot to disable it for anything apart from Navi21. AGESA1200 / 1201 is certainly not required, I enabled it on my Vega back a few months ago with AGESA 1100d or 1100c even.

Official support is always better than hacks.
It does not require any hacks - just enabling two options in the BIOS (which is also required for "official" SAM anyways). AMD might force all MoBo vendors to upgrade and enable access to these options, but they were available on 4xx/5xx boards of the major 5 vendors anways.

Is there a link to more information about BAR in general? This is really the first I've heard about it.

Don't get why people got so excited about BAR support on zen2 - as far as I know, people successfully use it even with Zen+ CPUs and it can be enabled on basically any AMD GPU if you use specific driver version from November in which they forgot to disable it for anything apart from Navi21. AGESA1200 / 1201 is certainly not required, I enabled it on my Vega back a few months ago with AGESA 1100d or 1100c even.

Since when Vega support this ? It can be enabled in the mb bios but not used by the gpu...

Since when Vega support this ? It can be enabled in the mb bios but not used by the gpu...
If we are talking about Linux - BAR support was enabled in radeon driver for two years or so. If we are talking about Windows, as I said, there's a beta driver from November in which it is enabled. You can even find my experience with enabling it (nothing good came out of it, haha, 8 fps in one game and even less in another if HBCC was disabled) on Reddit:

Back