AMD Radeon R9 290X reviews

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by fellix, Oct 24, 2013.

1. thatdude90210

Regular

Good luck finding Radeon's at MSRP for a while, cryptocurrency prices are back up a bit. On the other hand, I'm now a digital currency fortysomethingdollar-aire. :)

2. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

anyone know a good guide for setting up bitcoin or whatever mining ? Maybe over they year I can make a bit of money to put towards a new video card

3. thatdude90210

Regular

Do you mean just getting started? This "how to" guide is great for that. As for as building more serious hardware, this is a pretty good guide. Bitcoin mining isn't practical for GPU's anymore, but alt coins like Litecoin, etc still are. Which alternative coin you mine (along with the corresponding wallet) just depends on what pool you join .

4. Sinistar

Sinistar I LIVE
    Regular Subscriber

Removed my two 6970's yesterday, and put in a 290x Windforce. When I started the machine I thought it wasn't working, because I could not hear it. Ran some benchmarks, performance was ok. but not what I was expecting. Installed the Gigabyte "OC Gurru 2" utility, said I had to reboot when it was finished, and from there everything went to hell.

I do not know what this program did, but my computer would barley boot afterwords. Went into bios set up, couldn't do anything it was so slow. Shut it all down, flipped the bios switch on the motherboard to the backup bios and started the machine back up, booted fine this time.

To make a long story short, I reset the original bios back to default, and everything is running fine. The card is running as expected, I have not seen the fans hit over 40%, can not even hear the fans running in an open case unless I stick my head under the desk.

5. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

I suggest steering away from all the others except MSI Afterburner for OC'ing

6. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

thanks , I used that guide to start up. I only have a 6950 but wonder if I will make enough in coins by the end of the year to buy something new. going to keep an eye out

7. Kyyla

Veteran

So I've been waiting for my Sapphire 290 tri-x for a month now. The retailer has no idea when the next shipment will arrive. I'm starting to get annoyed by this cryptocoin bullshit. But good for AMD I guess.

8. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

I still haven't seen any hard figures proving that cryptocurrency mining has a real effect on GPU availability—not that I think it's unlikely or anything, I'd just like to have something solid.

I also wonder why AMD is still having supply issues months after launching Hawaii.

9. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Does anyone know when Powercolor will ship it's PCS+, or HIS their IceQ x2 R290 cards?

It seems like a crazy delay not to have your product out there given how the other manufacturers are selling cards faster than they can make them.

10. Psycho

Regular

11. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

Sorry to hear that!

I was lucky enough to snap one of the first MSI TwinFrozer R9 290 4G OC in the UK last week and I'm really impressed!

This card is dead silent! My PSU is way more noisy that this card! I had to put my ear 10cm from this card fans to hear it at all. All that under full mining load!
    Compared to stock cooler which I can hear from next room there is no comparison!

I hope your card will come soon, but be assured it's definitely worth waiting for!

12. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

13. Ryan Smith

Regular

From the board partners I've talked to, they've all been pointing a finger at cryptocoin mining as far as video card pricing is concerned. Availability is impacted as well, since it causes real demand to be much different than their demand projections.

14. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

That's the first tangible thing I've read, thanks!

15. gkar1

Regular

There are people running scripts 24/7 scanning all the e-tailer websites for when they put up cards close to MSRP (Amazon being the one that does it most often). The cards sell out literally within 5 minutes.

16. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

Then it's good to have contacts in wholesale and grab cards before they are listed on-line :)

But for majority of consumers this suxx big time. I don't think Chinese New Year will help at all with further availability issues and maybe only in March USA will see some decent stock.

In UK there is good supply and only slightly overpriced to what it was before. Now you can even find R9 290X for close to £400.00 inc. VAT where at launch they were £449+

17. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

How long does it take for an increase in wafer orders to have an effect on retail supply? Maybe 3 months?

18. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

19. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

Thanks. I guess that explains why supply is still tight.

20. Ryan Smith

Regular

That assumes that AMD increased their wafer orders though. Increasing orders in response to cryptocoin mining may not be a good idea due to how volitile the market for cryptocoins is.