AMD Radeon HD 7900 Reviews

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Arty, Dec 22, 2011.

1. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

No, I'm fairly certain it's a real 7950, it's new in box!
    [​IMG]

2. Thowllly

Regular

3. gongo

Regular

stocks may be low...'cause i ain't seeing as same lively chatter of these new cards in forums...as unlikely HD6950 last year....i know complaining about price is tiresome...but this is AMD waving to Nvidia..saying no more price war, you and i ain't the enemy, the consumers are...:oops:

I was browsing through some old reviews..just now..came across the 8800GT/GTX at techreport...yeah the pricing situation (the round figures) reminds me of now...but 8800GT/GTX were twice as fast as the cards they replaced..a food for thought...

4. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Rockin G71 dood!

5. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

:lol:

Humorous how the names have 'wrapped around', isn't it?

6. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

We've debated to „review“ a 7950 just for fun before the NDA lifts - a Geforce 7950. :)

7. Broken Hope

Regular

8. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Hasn't really hurt that other company in the past. It's not like they have no working drivers.

9. OpenGL guy

Veteran

Wasn't the driver included with the card WHQL certified? I don't recall any warnings from when I installed mine.

10. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Well, GTX 560 Ti 448 was released in November and there still isn't any official (or WHQL for that matter as far as I know) drivers for it so...

11. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Don't the cards you can actually buy from AMD's and Nvidia's partners come with a WHQL'ed driver on CD? I thought so...

12. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

HD7900's at least do, I'm not sure about GTX560Ti448, just know that all the users say they have to use beta drivers (which doesn't mean they're not whql, though)

13. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

I've got a Gigabyte CD here for the 7950 and it's 8.921 RC (4 days older than the press driver) and DirectX9 installer (Dated July 9th 2004)

14. Psycho

Regular

15. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

16. Man from Atlantis

Regular

Thanks for that..

Sapphire 7950 OC's thermal photos seems the best, GPU and VRM area are in peace.. i'd expect Asus's 3 slot monster to do better for VRM area..

17. Entropy

Veteran

Thanks for the link. The undervolting,power draw and fan noise data was of particular interest to me, and the IR photographs with temperatures were an impressive bonus. Unfortunately the low noise Powercolor PCS+ comes with a significantly heavier price tag than the (already pretentious) HD7950 baseline.

Can't help being impressed with their disregard for pages of comparative benchmarking. :) It really is an either/or proposition - either you present comparative data over a large number of applications and vs a large number of cards, both competitors and older products (since the market for these cards are upgraders), or you might as well not bother and just demonstrate that the differences are minimal between the different offerings of the same card, and you can safely pick your supplier based on other attributes.

18. Entropy

Veteran

The joys of a duopoly.
    We'll see if that is how it works out though when nVidia ships their 28nm parts. While there are arguments to be made for higher prices and lower sales volumes, ultimately you're shrinking your customer base, and since not everyone in the supply chain can enjoy the benefits of higher per card margins, you won't create happy business partners this way either.

The market for this cards is upgraders. While there may be a few youngsters who have never owned a computer with an add-in graphics card in the customer base, I suspect those are very, very few. If AMD and nVidia change the value proposition, people will either skip a generation (lower sales volume), or simply drop out of the hardware upgrade cycle altogether and spend their disposable income elsewhere entirely. This graphics niche is in a death spiral and we all know it. The only question is how long it will last, and what mechanics will allow the most money to be wrung out of the market while it lasts.

19. Silent_Buddha

Legend

That's what I used to do prior to the Radeon 4870. Every generation or half generation back then. So for example got the Geforce 256, skipped the GF2, skipped the GF3, got the GF4, then the 9700 pro, skipped the 9800, got the x1800, skipped the x19xx, got the 2900, skipped the 3870, and then got the 4870, 4890 (for the memory) and 5870 as the prices were reasonable enough. 6970 I had a disagreement with on principle so didn't get it but would likely have bought it if not for that disagreement.

Now I'm considering either a 7950 or 7970 if the price drops. Or if Nvidia comes out with something better and cheaper I might consider them (assuming they have DP output). And something similar to the 3w ultra low power state. The long idle power consumption is hugely attractive to me as there are times when I have to leave my computer on for a few weeks at a time.

Regards,
    SB

20. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

That's exactly what I have done with CPUs and memory, dropped out. I'm running a Q9550 still because I get zero personal or tangible value from the time, effort and energy required to upgrade. The process of shopping for parts and upgrading is fun of course but there are a lot of different places to spend money and get the same or better satisfaction.

The most powerful CPU in the world won't improve my gaming experience. Intel's lucky that they don't depend heavily on discrete sales or the upgrade market. I'll ignore GPUs too if they ever stagnate. We have a very long way to go still in 3D rendering though so hopefully that day is far away.