AMD Radeon HD 7900 Reviews

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Arty, Dec 22, 2011.

1. rpg.314

Veteran

These days rendertargets are used for lots of things. Blindly forcing SSAA on, say a "compute rendertarget" would almost certainly corrupt the final image.

If a rendertaget has MSAA on, then the driver can be sure that this is a "graphics rendertarget", and force SSAA confidently.

2. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

My wording was misleading and wrong.
    Not the buffers are run at sample frequency, but the shaders of course. But nevertheless you have to know where to store your data. That's how DX10.1 and higher applications can request supersampling from appropriate hardware.

What you're talking about is not antialiasing, but up- and downscaling the final image. There's no way for this to contain more information than the original image. Antialiasing dwells on the concept that there's more information (in some buffers) that is scaled down to the final image. And the application knows where it stores those buffers, the driver normally does not.

So it can double both dimensions for something that may look like it is used as frame- or z-buffer, but it cannot be sure so this "dumb approach" is prone to errors - more prone, the more unusual (or creative) an application is laid out.

3. fellix

fellix Hey, You!
    Veteran

Sparse grid super-sampling in todays hardware is simply applying multi-sampling to the whole pipeline, incl. texture and pixel shader stages (i.e. sampling frequency), instead of skipping them. This is different than the classic ordered-grid SSAA that rendered the frame in the back-buffer at the multiply of the sample count by X and Y.

SG super-sampling is the better option, not only because is ditches the ordered sample pattern, but as a "superset" of MSAA it can be applied selectively on different surfaces, so it's not really that much of a brute force method, depending on the application. NV drivers offer such a choice -- Enhanced and Override modes, for MSAA-compatible titles, where SG SSAA can be an enhancement or a "brute force" type override feature.

4. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

BTW, ATI does upgrade MSAA to SSAA with the enhance option if you have the AA slider on SSAA. I use that with my 6950. I suppose that this only applied to Cayman cards until now because only they have the enhance option as it enables EQAA.

5. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Yeah I know, I was trying to ask if there was specific hardware in 6 or 7 series that would prevent it from going into Cypress as well. Would Cypress be able to do this eventually when they get around to writing the support in?

6. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

From my limited understanding, there's nothing that would prevent any DX10.1 card from doing this. It's basically just forcing what's already required by the specs.

That's what 5000 cards do as well. Just select SSAA and either use in-Game MSAA or force it through the catalyst control center and you're good to go.

7. gongo

Regular

Will the HD7970 output independent HD video and audio... from each of the 2 hdmi ports?
    Thinking ....is it time when video cards can....play HD uncompressed audio...without needing to pipe both video and audio to my av receiver?

8. Silent_Buddha

Legend

You've been able to do that with video streams for years and years now. And HD 7970 is supposedly able to output application specific audio to the display it is located on, so yes it should be able to.

I think one of AMD's key demonstrations of the seperate audio stream functionality was video conferencing with audio sent only to the screen through which that videoconferencing person was speaking.

Regards,
    SB

9. gongo

Regular

yes...you can do that for years...but if you did that, the gpu will enable dual video out mode...what me wants is the ability to toggle on/off between video+audio, video only, audio only, per independent output. It would mean for HTPC..i can choose to display my desktop without turning on my avr/volume....

connection as follows :

PC -> 1. HDMI to TV (for desktop only)
    |
    V
    2. HDMI to AVR (for HD audio only)

It wont activated dual video mode...teehehe.

10. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I don't believe the HDMI spec allows for audio without video when there is a combined audio+video stream. At least I haven't seen any receivers that allowed the audio stream to be played without the corresponding video stream.

Regards,
    SB

11. sir doris

Regular

Doesn't your AVR have HDMI pass through?

12. cho

cho
    Regular

13. sir doris

Regular

Prices seem to be softening in the UK e-tailers.

14. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Saw over at Sweclockers today there's a new version of GPU-Z out now that can read the "quality" register of the chip (which is used to determine base core voltage) for Fermi and Southern Islands GPUs.

It can also apparantly test the performance of the PCIe interface, or something. I didn't read that carefully TBH since I don't have the money for these fancy new toys... :sad:

15. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

The "quality" is a bad word, and the scale is flawed (many nV users are reporting way over 100% results)
    On Radeons, apparently the more your chip is leaking, the better the "ASIC quality" rating is

16. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

"Quality" is what the news blurb called it. For lack of a better term, I guess. Shoe fits reasonably well, IMO, so why not use it?

17. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Because it makes absolutely zero sense that higher leakage chips are considered better :grin:
    (they're only better for OC'ing!)

18. sir doris

Regular

Is there any anecdotal evidence yet as to if any brands or models have the better overclocking potential? Has any one brand selected all the best chips or using higher spec’ed RAM?

19. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

Purely in terms of what an enthusiast would want, how better would you describe quality?

Keep in mind that someone who isn't an enthusiast isn't going to see this information.

20. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Believe me, there is no register for quality. :lol: