AMD Radeon HD 7800 Reviews

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Arty, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Miksu

Regular

2. AnarchX

Veteran

212mm² :razz: for $349 :???:.

Seems to be a nice future <$199 solution. :wink:

3. Man from Atlantis

Regular

default vid is pretty high ~1200mV.. H.fr does a nice job with undervolting again and 7870 just draws around ~95W most impressive :D

4. Erinyes

Regular

Kind of seems like the next RV670. Except for the price of course. $299 would have been a nice price point for it. At $349 its the same price as the outgoing 6970 (or higher if you consider that 6970's have been lower with rebate for a while) with barely higher performance.

In the RV670 days you could buy a HD 3850 for <$100 and even with RV770, towards the latter part of its life you could pick up HD 4850's for about $100 and 4870's for $140-150.

Anyways this has been discussed to death already, no point discussing it further i guess. Seems like higher prices are here to stay, and we have to live with it.

Wow...95W and it almost matches GTX580. Thats close to a third of the power consumption for pretty much the same performance :shock:

5. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Yeah, power efficiency wise Pitcairn is a real a beast. I hope for some good competition in the coming weeks and month in order for prices to go down.

If i may:
    There are some very nice gains for GCN (and smaller ones for other Radeons) in Raytracing with the new launch driver for Pitcairn to be had. 30% in some cases, IIRC. :)
    http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,8...d-sparsam-dank-28-nm/Grafikkarte/Test/?page=2
    (pretty much at the bottom)

6. DuckThor Evil

DuckThor Evil Anas platyrhynchos
    Legend Veteran

The performance is better than I expected quite a bit actually. I wonder if the 7870 was always supposed to launch at 1GHZ? 349$ is a bit steep for it, but that was not unexpected and thanks to the high core speed it actually performs really good. I still think that OC'd 7850 is the best card out of the 7000-series.

7. fellix

fellix Hey, You!
    Veteran

Looks like the Pitcarin ASIC is pin-compatible with Barts and Cypress SKUs.

8. Psycho

Regular

Anyone who retested the 7900 with the same drivers as used for 7800? (and especially for BF3, which itself received 7000 series improvements (path changes) in the meantime).
    7870 really seems too close to the 7950.

9. AnarchX

Veteran

10. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

It is quite close, even when benched with the same set of drivers (8.95.5, see my link above), which again proofs that also with GCN AMDs scaling is better with frequency than with # of functional units. That's IMHO about the only thing that they need to adress in the future - everything else is just... price. :)

11. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Yeah I'm surprised by how fast the 7870/50 turned out. Power consumption is a nice touch too. It's well positioned to be the darling of this generation.

12. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

So, what do we even need Kepler for? Uhm... yeah! To drive prices down. ;)

13. Tridam

Regular Subscriber

We always do ;)

14. Man from Atlantis

Regular

There is a pretty well Tahiti study here, it basically confirms what you are saying.. 7970 just starts to starve due to onchip and offchip bandwidth..

http://www.tomatolei.com/thread-20474-1-1.html

Matrix multiplication
    [​IMG]
    Matrix transpose operation
    [​IMG]
    Battlefield 3
    [​IMG]

15. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

It is one of my favourites :). HD 7870 running three 12x10 panels at work, and its very nicely behaved (HD 7970 is reserved for the home PC, of course!).

16. Broken Hope

Regular

I still don't understand AMD's reasoning behind this slide.

[​IMG]

If I and other 5800 series owners didn't upgrade to the 6900 series, the 7800 series does nothing to make me want to upgrade either, a bit higher performance than the 6900 series for the same exact price, if not more expensive here in the UK.

Looks like I'll be skipping another generation again unless Keplar manages to drive prices down.

17. psolord

Regular

Hello. Are you the person responsible for the awesome reviews at Hardware.fr?

If you are, please allow me to extend my congratulations to you good sir. You are among of the top reviewers out there. Thanks a lot and keep it up!

PS I would just like some faster updates of your reviews, in Behardware, which is the English version of your site, if I am not gravely mistaken.

18. Davros

Legend

seems to be saying buy a new card its 25% faster :D
    confidential nda required
    what a load of nonsense seriously some of these companies want you to sign an nda before they tell you its tuesday

19. mczak

Veteran

Nice gains indeed. And pretty strange nvidia's newer driver is so much slower for compute (which is old news by now) without nvidia even commenting on it.

Dunno what the clock target initially was, but the day amd came up with the ghz marketing stuff for hd7770 I was sure it would be 1Ghz or more.
    I guess amd didn't quiet feel comfortable enough with 1Ghz for Tahiti (which I think is a missed opportunity) but the smaller (and later) chips didn't pose much of a problem.

With nvidia supposedly beefing up shader capacity by a factor of 2 (and memory bw/rops staying at similar levels), I'd not be surprised if their so far fantastic SM scaling will drop too. Though I think the SMs take up more die area than amd's CUs hence you would actually expect better scaling there.
    Also don't forget the 7950 has quite some significant disadvantage in some areas compared to 7870 due to clock difference - rop throughput, setup/rasterizer, etc. So it's a bit unfair saying it doesn't scale as well with CUs than clock (if you would get a performance increase of 5% for 10% more CUs that would still sort of be ok since CUs only take up half the die area). Frankly I would expect the 7950 to be most likely slightly slower on average than the 7870 would it not have a massive 54% memory bandwidth advantage.