AMD Radeon 7990 - coil whining itself into a haze of mediocrity

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Grall, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

First tests rolling in, not looking particularly good I must say. A thousand bucks for a very large, heavy and not particularly fast graphics card. Best things that can be said about it is it's rather stylish if one cares about that sort of thing, and also that the fans are actually rather quiet on the whole.

...The last bit is unfortunately almost completely negated by what is best described as monstrous coil whine of epic proportions that easily penetrates the sturdiest of PC chassis and even walls. How utterly disappointing.

Furthermore, performance is uninspiring in Sweclockers' test, the 7990 lagging well behind dual 7970GHz Editions in crossfire; much more so than the relatively minor clock speed difference would indicate. Drivers are suspected, as the Asus Ares 3 did not suffer similarly, although how AMD could possibly have driver issues with a flagship product that's well over a year old by now is quite frankly astonishing.

Also, upping the - raised, compared to 7970GHz - power limit caused grave system instability, and trying any overclocking would only make things even worse. Basically, only thing this card did not do when overclocked was eviscerate itself in a puff of smoke like the Geforce 590 of yore... Sad, sad.

2. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Anas platyrhynchos
    Legend Veteran

Some review suggested that 7990 throttles quite a bit and thus that the actual clock difference compared to 7970 Ghz is bigger than on paper. This only has two 8 pin connectors instead of 3 in other 7990s and even if the parts are specially pinned, it looks like the power wall comes in quite hard and often.

3. UniversalTruth

Veteran

The only problem is the price. At 500 € I will forgive everything and go and buy it ;)

4. DSC

DSC
    Banned

5. I.S.T.

Veteran

I can't seem to find any description of the coil whine... on PCPer and Hot Hardware there's no mention of it. Any links to data on that, Grall?

6. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

No specific data per se, only that the staff of Sweclockers have asked around and noticed a pattern of coilwhining 7990s. In the video attached to their review (which isn't in english, unfortunately), they claim that 'basically all' 7990s are affected.

Here's what they say in their review (courtesy of Google Translate):

7. UniversalTruth

Veteran

Does anyone have a guess what the reason is? Did the manufacturers somehow analysed that this would attract higher attention or it is just a sabotage against AMD in order to look bad with their "halo" card?

In any case- the card is a fail as the GTX 590 was.

I wouldn't pay for this "genial marvel" of engineering even a 500 €

8. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Cheap components, or simply a batch where the manufacturer forgot to pot their inductors (or potting was insufficient). *shrug* Your guess is as good as mine - well, apart from the "sabotage" bit of course, as that's just ludicrous really.

9. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

It's likely that not all samples have whine, or that it varies from terrible to barely-perceptible.

10. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Anas platyrhynchos
    Legend Veteran

This is from Techpowerup.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7990/31.html

11. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

My 6970s don't whine at all, they're bog standard reference designs. It is not THAT hard it would seem... ;)

12. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I can hear some whine from my reference 6950 2GB when its loaded down with 3D. My system is very quiet though so these sorts of noises stand out. It's not an annoying level of noise compared to other examples I've run across.

13. Davros

Legend

Its amd getting their own back
    they are fed up of customer whine :D

14. Ryan Smith

Regular

There's no coil whine on our sample either.

15. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Once I put really quiet HSFs on my 6970s (this is a while back...all water now and 680s) I could definitely hear the whine when running things like Furmark.

16. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

So they got the fans quiet but they whine now? Great. :(

17. Wynix

Veteran Regular

To me this card has been a bad idea ever since they announced it, waste of resources.
    With the Xfire issues, the high heat and power consumption of the 7970 chip aswell as a possible coil whine problem this PR stunt of a card is only going to backfire.

AMD should have sat out the dual chip card this time round and come back with a vengeance for the 8990.

18. lanek

Veteran

my 7970 whine too... only when they run at 2000fps+ ( 3Dmark03 or some games menu ( what i can i hate when developpers forget to put a fps limit on game menu ).. Or.. if i run them with 1.4V - 1350+mhz .
    Now It can happend without limiting framerate in somes games ( 180-200fps ) but i can barely hear it with the case closed. ( H2o ).

I have watch different reviews of the 7990 anyway, or they have not mention it, or they dont have it . Its allways possible some sample got it and some other dont.

19. almighty

Banned

Every card coil whines... My 7950 coil whines like a bitch on Crysis main menu and a few other games.... mind you it's hitting 1000fps+ on these screens hence the coil whine.

Turn VSYNC on and it'll go away.

20. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Coil whine really seems to be a difficult beast. It can vary between different framerate regions, different load and even if your power outlet is running 110 or 220-240 volts.

Our version of Malta exhibited serious coil whining as well - and under a variety of circumstances too, bearing in mind that you can force most higher-end cards to coil whine when you really want it.