AMD opens up to Linux; Better support and open source drivers promised

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by B3D News, Sep 5, 2007.

1. B3D News

B3D News Beyond3D News
    Regular

AMD just announced that its upcoming Catalyst 7.9 drivers for Linux will not only finally provide support to HD X2000 series on the OS, but it is also claimed to host the most significant series of enhancements ever for Linux users. As far as AMD graphics drivers are concerned, that is. AMD quite decided to please Open Source supporters today, also talked about releasing an Open Source version of their graphics drivers.

Read the full news item

2. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Going way back to January, Andrew Dodd promised us in a conference call that Linux support would catch up to Windows support in Catalyst by the end of 2007. It'll be interesting to see if they make it. Tho I think that was mostly regarding features and interfaces/GUI. . . .and still may not be a guarantee of getting new gpus/cards into Linux drivers as fast as Windows drivers.

3. 2senile

Regular

Seems they have been Beavering away on a wonder driver for Linux for over a year!
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=821&num=1

Sample quotes from article:

improvement of the x1800 compared to the previous driver is ... wait for it .......... 50-90%!!!!!!!

4. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Hope someone does a thorough review of it then, rather than the sketch on offer there. "Wonder drivers" should only be declared retrospectively, rather than anticipated.

5. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Sorry, the gains in the review were not witnessed then?

6. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

If I can run Compiz and/or Beryl on my x1600 mobile I'll be happy.

7. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Surely, having pioneered the distinction, you meant "preview" (at least as regards the driver)? My point is only that a single review of a non-public driver is a damn thin reed to lean on, and anyone who does so hasn't been around the block in this industry too many times.

And what exactly is the need to do so? Soon enuf, once it's gone public, there will be a big enough cross-section of reviewers, users and scenarios as to settle the matter.

Edit: Btw, that's not meant to be a knock on the driver. If it gets 50-90% improvements across a wide range of scenarios then it deserves the tag. Officially authorized previews of drivers to only carefully selected sites deserve, imo, to be held between thumb and forefinger at arms length until confirmed by a wider cross-section of sources with a publicly available package. YMMV.

8. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

The driver preview is based on the next build of Catalyst - its like the equivent some someone, under Windows, looking at a WHQL Candidate build as opposed to the same builds that has been WHQL'ed.

9. binarycrusader

Newcomer

Accurate

The phoronix review is accurate. ATi is doing great stuff.

Just about anyone in the driver beta program can verify this for you.

10. hesido

Regular

Can this lead to Linux versions of OpenGL games?

11. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

Unlikely, unless it leads to a not-insignificant increase in Linux market share among enthusiasts--which I'm inclined to think it won't do.

12. Davros

Legend

there are allready linux versions of opengl games if you didnt know
    or did you mean will it lead to more linux versions of opengl games - then i doubt it

13. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

There are quite a few very good OpenGL games for linux...iD engines seem to always have a linux variant and several of the UT games as well. Google it :)

14. xatnys

Regular

Well they've definitely created a stir particularly at /.

Here's to hoping that they meet expectations.

15. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Well. Like any other feature, when it gets to be less of a competitive football then ISVs are a little more likely to support it.

16. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

Yes, I know. There's no Linux World of Warcraft. Hence, it will not increase Linux marketshare in a meaningful way.

17. Nite_Hawk

Veteran

There are a non-insignificant number of people who play WoW under linux using wine. If this increases WoW opengl performance under wine it'll be a big hit for a lot of people. Especially if it brings performance anywhere close to running it using D3D under windows.

Nite_Hawk

18. Davros

Legend

At last someone's found the solution - the popularity of linux is totally dependant on warcraft :D

19. Demirug

Veteran

To make this happen someone have to extend a linux driver with a D3D friendly DDI. After this the Wine guys need to write a additional D3D runtime that make use of this additional DDI. Not impossible but I have the felling that there will be other priorities at both parties.

20. Mummy

Regular

You forgot some !!!, there -> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111 get those :roll:

QFT.

About open sourcing drivers for linux, i wonder for which models they would do so, and in case they do for real, do you guys think this might be a "bad sign" ? (less focus on graphic cards?) </Just a legitimate question, please do not kill me>.

#20 Mummy, Sep 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2007