AMD Number one in mobile discrete graphics

neliz

GIGABYTE Man
Veteran
What just happened?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/AMD-Takes-Notebook-Discrete-bw-2174838590.html?x=0&.v=1

SUNNYVALE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--AMD (NYSE: AMD - News) today announced that according to the latest industry data, notebook manufacturers have chosen ATI Mobility Radeon™ Premium graphics processors to drive more than half of today’s discrete graphics notebooks. The data for mobile discrete graphics reveals a 36.5% market share gain, and 87.27% more units sold quarter-over-quarter through the first six months of 2009.1 AMD now holds the “Number 1” position with an overall 53% mobile discrete market share. The incredible momentum behind ATI Mobility Radeon Premium graphics processors is a result of:

Edit:

In the quote section, they take a stab at nV's 40nm mobile parts where nV said "We got a hundred design wins" they retorted with "well over 200 design wins of current and future commitments"

Last edited by a moderator:
36.5% market share gain

Anybody got a link to the NVIDIA shows signs of strain thread? ;)

Joking aside, was anybody expecting this sort of gain & would care to explain to a graphically challenged lurker?

Well -- in the value segment -- ATI has to rely on HD 3400s (discrete) to combat NV's MCP79 family (9200M - 9400M IGP). Since their own IGP offering, HD 3200, in general only competitive (performance wise) against NV's 9100M.

Last semester, my college's computers were from what I could gather all Intel IGP's. This semester, they have added add on boards in just about all of them... all of them being Radeon HD 2400's. TBH, from reading around, I'm getting a feeling the market is blowing wind In AMD's favor all year long. Almost like divine intervention....:oops:

Bear in mind that the effects in notebook have a very long lag time in to translate into meaningful numbers. What did many of you like about RV770 (which also translates to the rest of the stack)? I'd hazard a guess and say great perf/$ - this is a function of perf/area which also tranlates to perf/watt in notebook. Thats also coupled with highly comprehensive feature integration as well.

Bear in mind that the effects in notebook have a very long lag time in to translate into meaningful numbers. What did many of you like about RV770 (which also translates to the rest of the stack)? I'd hazard a guess and say great perf/$ - this is a function of perf/area which also tranlates to perf/watt in notebook. Thats also coupled with high comprehensive feature integration as well.

Thanks for letting us know.

P.S. sorry for stealing your thunder, I noticed it was your job way back when to post these press releases.

Back