AMD: Navi Speculation, Rumours and Discussion [2019-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, he successfully pivoted from “let’s play” videos to telling r/AMD exactly what it wants to hear and good for him, but by and large he has been consistently and often rather drastically wrong with the GPU rumor peddling. Remember this gem?

most funny part was that sentence where he says, that all leakers risking their jobs and provide him information only because they want see him to succeed. LoL

Well Lol at that for starters, while I lol at your "always felt" that next gen consoles are as powerful as a PC GPU, that didn't exist until 3 month ago... 6 month ago you were talking about 1070 if I'm not mistaken...
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_RTX_2070_Founders_Edition/33.html
I was laughing that you’ve proven my point so much emphasis on TF, everyone just assumes the bottleneck is TF when it could be elsewhere.

Though on the console space,these issues are less pronounced. Developers can code around bottlenecks and optimize better for the hardware.

Ok, my bad then :oops:
It’s okay. It was late I needed rest so I put what I feeling st the time. I think what caught me off guard was how big a jump it was already. I didn’t expect the point to be proven so quickly.

AdoredTV's latest CPU rumors seem to be mostly correct so far, with a 16-core Ryzen for AM4 being pretty much officially confirmed.
He claims that his source had a lot more info on CPUs than on GPUs, meaning the source might not have been updated regularly (or very knowledgeable) about GPUs.

In the middle of that source's info, there's a bunch of very subjective information.
For example, the claims that RTG "is very confident" of Navi's performance and it "surpassed expectations".
What does that even mean? Per-clock performance nowadays is simulated during design AFAIK. It's clocking higher than they thought it would, despite TSMC 7nm showing lower than expected performance in general?
They're "very confident" on the Navi cards in regards to.. their positioning in the market? Turing's lower-than-expected rasterization performance? Do they even know when nvidia's 7nm chips are coming and how they will compare?

I remember AMD claiming they were super confident with Polaris. First on 14nm, better than the competition, etc. All of a sudden they were losing on their performace/watt by 33% or more against the competition that came out within weeks and losing all chances of getting back some of the laptop market.
So the "better than the competition" at the time was, at best, in comparison to Maxwell cards that were made in an older process and about to be replaced.

One thing is for sure: someone at AMD does like the guy.
I remember noticing how his reach was relatively tiny when Vega 64 launched and yet he was one of the very few who got a Liquid Cooled edition for review. I think his channel had less than 50K subscribers back then.

AdoredTV's latest CPU rumors seem to be mostly correct so far...
You are right about the Polaris part - it was hyped but fared well vs 28nm Maxwell not 14nm Pascal. Btw a similar situation is now between 7nm Vega VII vs 14nm Turing.

OTOH the Adored's part.. Just go through his pre-CES videos again. No models/SKUs, let alone frequencies have been "announced". Nothing, apart from that Cinebench benchmark and proclamation the 7nm Ryzen would come in 2019. Btw no dummy die equipped Ryzen has been seen at CES either... Now after the CES I wouldn't really call this "mostly correct".

Navi 16, Navi 12, Navi 10, Navi 9
they are not codenames, so max 1024SP for NAVI16
The update is obviously made in preparation of forthcoming Ryzen processors. Navi 9 and Navi 16 look like a continuation of current numbering for APU graphics branding, similar to RX Vega 3/6/8/10/11 - so these should be the number of CUs. The actual APU die would be codenamed accoring to relevant '* Ridge' convention. Likewise Navi 10 and Navi 12 would be a different binning of the same APU die.

On the other hand Navi 10 and Navi 12 would also be the codenames for a discrete die, similar to the progression of Polaris 10/11/12/20/21/22/30 and Vega 10/11/12/20. These should come with about ~40 CUs and ~20 CUs respectively, while a 'high-end' Navi would have ~60 CUs to match Vega 56/64.

PS. I admit this is highly confusing, so there are indications that AMD is returning to the previous scheme of separate unrelated names for each GPU die, starting with Arcturus.

Last edited:
Navi 9 and Navi 16 look like a continuation of current numbering for APU branding, similar to RX Vega 3/6/8/10/11 - so these should be the number of CUs. The actual APU die would be codenamed accoring to relevant '* Ridge' convention.

Nav10 and Navi 12 look like codenames for a discrete die, just like the progression of Polaris 10/11/12/20/21/22/30 and Vega 10/11/20. These should come with about ~40 CUs and ~20 CUs respectively, while a 'high-end' Navi would have ~60 CUs to match Vega 56/64.

They are saying that the naming translates directly to the number of CU's though...ie 16, 12, 10 and 9

To me it appears they have a 16 CU card and then cut down variants with Navi 12, 10 and 9.

Exactly. These would all be different binnings of the same APU die. Updated my post above to make this point more clear.
This is interesting. The upcoming desktop APUs - Raven2, Picasso and even Renoir are GFX9.0* based. The Navi architecture was reported only for that recent supposedly console based APU - Gonzalo.

These should come with about ~40 CUs and ~20 CUs respectively, while a 'high-end' Navi would have ~60 CUs to match Vega 56/64.

How high must a 40 CU card clock, to reach the performance of a Vega 64 / RTX 2070?
2.2GHz?

Probably a combination of 15-20% higher clocks and a 20-30% improvement in efficiency for the new architecture?

Didn't realize that RTX 2070 is faster than Vega64 in most real-world applications. If a new mid-range part really outdoes current enthusiast-level part, might explain why they say Navi looks 'exceptionally good'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back