AMD: Navi Speculation, Rumours and Discussion [2019]

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by Kaotik, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Bondrewd

Regular Newcomer

Welcome to the end of CMOS as we knew them!
    Process gains are now harder to come by and even harder to realize, particularly on larger dies.

jacozz, A1xLLcqAgt0qc2RyMz0y and milk like this.
  2. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

Is a big navi (64cu or more) really a coming thing ? I mean, they are already at 225w with the 40cu version and 7nm, I don't get how they can do a bigger chip not consuming around 300w...

The price are what I predicted, AMD need to make money. nVidia will have to move the 2060 and 2070 a bit, but it's still not a threat.

Meh, waiting for the "true" or "full" next gen now. Navi 10 seems, like always, 1 or 2 years late...

3. Bondrewd

Regular Newcomer

More hardware, less clocks and xtor-level optimizations, and yes.

w0lfram and Cat Merc like this.
  4. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular

Infinity fabric ?

5. del42sa

Newcomer

251 mm2 is a large die ?

what´s interesting detail that one CU still consist of 64SP, leaving 4 × 16 SIMD vector units arrangement in favor of new 2 × 32 SIMDs which helps better shader utilization.

it seems that 2CU together share local data cache and shader instruction cache and scalar data cache. ( dual compute unit )

6. Bondrewd

Regular Newcomer

Given that phone SoCs and CCDs are <80mm^2, Y E S.

7. Entropy

Veteran

And phone SoCs also draw way less power which helps a lot at these nodes.

A positive observation comes from another slide though where they claim 2.3 times the performance per unit area, so it’s not all doom and gloom on the process front. Just, well, mostly.

8. yuri

Newcomer

Yea, this is my first impression. GCN finally got significant changes done to its architecture. Some of those should have been in Fiji or Vega already.

9. Bondrewd

Regular Newcomer

I mean, N5/3 also offer plenty of area, just even more marginal and harder to realize perf/power uplifts.

10. tunafish

Regular

nVidia does 32-wide, and approximately all privately written GPGPU code was optimized for that. AMD needs to match it to minimize expense of translating code between the archs for it to have any hope of ever properly competing in the space.

11. Entropy

Veteran

I don’t really know enough about the properties of the 3nm options (I only know that AMDs chief of server products said that they’ll use it but beyond that the crystal balls go really murky).
    What you say rings true for 5nm. But since it seems to offer potentially significant gain in density, products like GPUs can improve their performance per Watt by compromising frequency and dialing back power draw and still gain in absolute performance as well as in performance/W and /mm2. The process gains just won’t be as large.

(Consumer CPUs though, where sea-of-cores/flock-of-chicken approaches aren’t terribly efficient, probably won’t see a lot of improvement.)

12. Bondrewd

Regular Newcomer

Cost per mm^2 yielded is also going up.
    Is client dGPU big enough of a market to amortize several sizeable N5 dies across the product stack?

13. Jupiter

Veteran Newcomer

Navi 10 has a similar amount of transistor cores and performance compared to TU106 but its not faster. It seems that raytracing- and tensor-cores dont need much space.

14. Picao84

Veteran Regular

That's a bit of stretch, isn't it? Before making that sort of comparison you would surely need to see how the transistors themselves are organised? Nvidia might simply be able to achieve the same performance with less non-RT and tensor transistors?

15. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I don't think you can really compare the transistor usage that closely.

16. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

Pascal had 7.2B transistors for 2560 SP. Turing has 10.8B for 2304 SP. That’s 66% more transistors per SP. Obviously there are other arch changes, but RT and tensor cores have a huge footprint collectively, clearly.

Picao84 likes this.
  17. glow

To be fair, some of it was in Vega, just disabled for various reasons. I'm curious how close were those features to working, and if a silicon respin or revision would have been enough to enable the functionality.
    Pascal or Volta? Both have to be considered, especially since quite a bit of Turing seems to be Volta derived.

18. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

Volta is actually higher than Turing. 21.1B for 5120 SP.

glow likes this.
  19. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular

20. Picao84

Veteran Regular

Hein? I only see a monolithic die there?

Are you mistaking a Shader Engine for a chiplet? They are sort of AMD's version of an Nvidia GPC, broadly speaking (except that geometry is outside of it on AMD).

#840 Picao84, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Cuthalu likes this.