AMD: Navi Speculation, Rumours and Discussion [2019-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
To sum it up, RX 5700XT will be slower than Vega 64.

I doubt it, and after driver maturation, I'm sure it will pull away. Either way, what does it matter? Navi will bring Vega 64 performance to the Polaris crowd, and then later versions will cater to enthusiasts.

I doubt it, and after driver maturation, I'm sure it will pull away. Either way, what does it matter? Navi will bring Vega 64 performance to the Polaris crowd, and then later versions will cater to enthusiasts.

I doubt AMD price Navi10 with this level of performances like Polaris. It would be a big gap between that and Vega VII.

AMD is the gaming GPU to have...!

Dr Su has corrected every bad mistake AMD has ever made. And the reason she has so much swagger and other CEO's are at her feet. As I think about it. I will have an all AMD systems in the near future, in my house. (PlayStation, Xbox & PC w/x570 + Navi)

This also means that developers will inherently be working with Zen2, so that makes the Zen2 the cpu of choice for gaming.

Anadtech: Xbox at E3 2019: Xbox Project Scarlett Console Launching Holiday 2020 <--
(spoiler: Navi has ray tracing)

This means a hypothetical Navi with 64 CU hitting 14.4TF at 1750mhz and 15.2TF at 1900mhz.
This would soundly beat a 2080Ti in gaming tasks.

I doubt AMD price Navi10 with this level of performances like Polaris. It would be a big gap between that and Vega VII.
AMD will try to price it to be successful for them and their partners. That requires both volumes and profit margins, and is largely market defined.
But from a technical point of view, Navi is remarkably similar to Polaris, same die size, same 256-bit bus to DDR memory, same ballpark in power draw, so same costs for power circuitry and cooling, and so on. So regardless of where it starts out, we can assume that the price will asymptotically approach that of Polaris over time.
From above. ;-)

N7 wafers and design costs are higher.
Of course, although design costs are amortised over volume, and wafer costs drop over time. Hence "approaching asymptotically from above". Consumers will pay considerably more initially, obviously, but two or three years down the line costs should be fairly close. What that will mean for consumers remain to be seen, but AMD seems well positioned for the volume mid-range market.

Assuming 14nm and 7nm yield about the same when they both initial launched GPU's , even if 7nm die costs are like 3 times the price ( probably more like 1.5 or 2) that would be like 50ish USD more per die. RX480 launched at $239 USD, 4870 launched at that $299 USD, lets pray for a sub $300 USD top of the line card.

Dr Su has corrected every bad mistake AMD has ever made
Anadtech: Xbox at E3 2019: Xbox Project Scarlett Console Launching Holiday 2020 <--
(spoiler: Navi has ray tracing)

You are forgetting that the infamouos R9 3xxx series and Fury was her fault.And assuming the Vega situation was inevitable yeah after that AMD(appears to) steered in the right direction.

Xbox is launch at the end of 2020 so it it more probably the next navi launched in 2020 to be the one with RT.

You always have room to improve, but I think she just decided(for better or worse) in focus all resources on the CPU site and create Ryzen.

Btw is this even legal?

Is it illegal? They just want to you get excited about ray tracing coming to console since they also support ray tracing? Might be more appropriate to call it DXR On! instead of RTX.
Unless of course... we're going for the low probability to impossible situation route.

edit: and as Ike points out, Xbox is now a gaming platform encompassing PC and Console. Forgetful me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back