AMD: Navi Speculation, Rumours and Discussion [2019]

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by Kaotik, Jan 2, 2019.

1. del42sa

Newcomer

wow, you´re so much thrilled by GCN :). I could name a list of GCN weakness just as you did with Bulldozer example, but why keep beating a dead horse ?

2. itsmydamnation

Veteran Regular

Go ahead tell us the technical deficiencies of GCN, i for one would be very interested to know what its major technical/architectural issues are.

ToTTenTranz likes this.
  3. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

We should all have listened to @Ike Turner and stopped feeding the troll.
    Almost all of that user's posts are short, snarky and unfunnily mocking remarks that progressively change goalposts.
    Basic troll behavior.

Ike Turner likes this.
  4. del42sa

Newcomer

don't be ridiculous.

5. Urian

Regular

Then... Write them.

6. del42sa

Newcomer

most of them are mentioned a few pages back. So take a look yourself .

7. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

Btw, did amd already officialy talked about the market target for Navi 10 ? Mid or high end ?

8. gamervivek

Regular Newcomer

But with Ryzen AMD caught up in performance compared to their competition where their GPU division is. They have the same issue in both sectors, lower clocks than the competition.

Then there's the driver pains with new architecture, which could make the hardware improvements not as useful from the start as they should be, 'fine wine' etc.

Rootax likes this.
  9. Bondrewd

Regular Newcomer

"Mainstream".
    Which after Turing means about anything <$500 (I guess?).

10. itsmydamnation

Veteran Regular

I dont see any, can you atleast link them?

11. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

Having hard time pushing the frequency, less power efficient than the green side, having this 4tri/clock seems a GCN limitation (Vega PS is not available so...), but maybe Navi will change that ?
    Don't tell me GCN is fine while AMD can't compete for years now in the high end with it. And the "oh they don't have the money to have a good R&D" argument, I get that, I really do, but if GCN cost to much money to be tweaked enough to thrive, then do something else...

An interesting topic, oriented to the power efficiency, that I forgot about : https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...r-than-comparable-pascal-maxwell-chips.60558/

12. del42sa

Newcomer

right, plus front-end scaling and weak geometry ( nobody finds weird, that RX570 has the same front/end as Vega 20 ? )
    4SE capable of max. four triangle per clock for mid range chip and use the same configuration for Radeon VII ?
    how could possible be that well ballanced architecture ?
    With that realization on mind Vega has hard time to keep all of these shaders busy
    They keep 4SE/4096SP configuration since Hawaii launch and never got past them
    bandwidth efficiency
    enormous power consumption ( they need full node jump to be at least partially competetive and drive power consumption down)
    some crucial Vega features still not working and some of them having dubious benefit

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/amd-navi-speculation-rumours-and-discussion-2019.61042/page-20

#452 del42sa, May 25, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019
    Heinrich4 likes this.
  13. itsmydamnation

Veteran Regular

Wow you two are so predictable, all you can list is outcomes, so what makes gcn so power inefficient , what limits clocks. Why can't those thing change and still be gcn.

I also like how you try to brush off R&D like it's nothing, maybe you guy should become cto's you would save tech companies so much cash because you wouldn't do R&D, you would just do something else that's way cheaper and better because reasons.......

Amd has said there is no hard limit in terms of number of SE's. So given that why haven't we seen more, it's probably R&D related,you know having no money to do it. you know thing like N∗(N−1)2 get hard above 4 real quick.

naenrda likes this.
  14. Bondrewd

Regular Newcomer

Because reasons™.
    Either way ATi/AMD was skimping on FF resources since forever, since before GCN came to be.

naenrda likes this.
  15. del42sa

Newcomer

alright, tell me then what is behind all of these things if not architecture itself ?? If architecture is so superb, then it´s badly engineered at AMD or you try to imply that GloFo and TSMC deliberately crippling AMD/RTG work to make them artifically worse than their competitors ?

Why then AMD working on next gen GPU if GCN is so superb ? it just need a " little tweak " , right ?

@ToTTenTranz: You want other prove their claim, but you don't have to prove anything and yet you have nerve to call them trolls.

#455 del42sa, May 25, 2019
    DavidGraham and Heinrich4 like this.
  16. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

Maybe outcomes, multiple products in a row, are linked to the arch underneath...

17. del42sa

Newcomer

lack of fundings too

18. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

Guys, before you argue endlessly about whether GCN is the problem, you should start by defining what you mean by "GCN". The debate makes no sense whatsoever otherwise.

19. Heinrich4

Regular

To del42sa
    ... add to your list -> DCC worst then compare with Nvidia counterpart.

#459 Heinrich4, May 25, 2019
  20. naenrda

Doesn't sound like a GCN problem to me.