AMD: Navi Speculation, Rumours and Discussion [2019]

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by Kaotik, Jan 2, 2019.

1. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Perhaps he just needs views so he made a video complaining about completely superficial things. Like the cooler is ugly from this angle if the card is out of the PC case.

Lightman likes this.
  2. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

Maybe it's that, but we don't know his relations with amd/rtg. Maybe he got screwed over about something or I don't know...

3. Per Lindstrom

Newcomer Subscriber

I'm too old for youtube, I belong to a generation that learned to read.
    Interesting pictures nevertheless.

Kej, w0lfram, Silent_Buddha and 7 others like this.
  4. tEd

tEd Casual Member
    Veteran

Generally too much emphasis on looks (RGB anyone) these days IMO. Like i care how the cooler or card looks as long it does a good job.

5. entity279

Veteran Regular Subscriber

Nah you just like to be able to extract information in the order you want, filtering what you want, and at an appropriate speed.
    Instead of sitting through some random muppet's train of thought and narrative

Kej, w0lfram, Silent_Buddha and 9 others like this.
  6. ToTTenTranz

Well AFAIK they supposedly didn't go anywhere after being purchased by ATI almost 20 years ago. They're part of AMD now, or at the very least their IP is.

7. arandomguy

Newcomer

My viewpoint on this is that the gaming market has shifted and what we're really seeing the product stacks shift to match. For better or worse there is a market of people who want performance and they willing to pay the costs for it whether that's purely monetarily or through other considerations such as the higher nominal power consumption numbers. This means we're going to see the product stack stretch even more going forward, and even more so should we eventually move to MCM GPUs (more on this a bit later). Remember when graphics accelerators first came about the graphics stack was really tight by comparison (1 product per gen in some cases).

If you want a lower cost (nominal) graphics they'll still have products that serve it. If you want a lower power graphics card (whether for SFF, noise, or whatever) they'll have products that serve it. It's just that people will need to psychologically/emotionally come to terms that they'll sit lower in terms of relative performance vs. the absolute highest performing tier in a given generation for those that are willing to go to the extremes in cost.

Swinging back to MCM GPUs why would this get worse? Well if we were to hypothetically have a 4x75w (this like the lowest PC discrete GPUs atm) that is already 300w. But why would you stop there from a vendor perspective? There's going to be a sizable market willing to pay for more performance. A 2x200w of more mid size chips (eg. Navi 10 range ) config is already 400w. Remember we had 2xGPU cards in the past and they were still viable products (eg. the 500w $1500 2xHawaii 295x2) and that was with horrible scaling and support issues that were software dependent. A 250w

PSman1700 likes this.
  8. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Asking because the MoSys patents were ~20 years ago? Good question.

edit:

As it gets harder to shrink, maybe it's something they ought to be thinking about. hm...

PSman1700 likes this.
  9. Gubbi

Veteran

Unlikely, 1T-SRAM is DRAM with a SRAM interface, and DRAM uses capacitors which don't scale down as well.

Cheers

Silent_Buddha and TheAlSpark like this.
  10. ToTTenTranz

The quad-density ones are from later than that, they only showed in 2003 I think.

But is AMD unable to license 1T-SRAM-Q from MoSys? I came up with 1T--SRAM simply because the density is much higher than regular 6T-SRAM. The Gamecube's Flipper GPU had a "humongous" amount of 3MB of 1T-SRAM inside a 100mm^2 chip with 51 Million transistors.
    If that was scalable (according to @Gubbi it isn't, though), then 128MB of it would mean nothing in a >300mm^2 chip at 7nm.

Ok, I wasn't aware of that.
    The Wikipedia page shows pretty decent scaling on 1T-SRAM Q but only down to 45nm.

11. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Ah whoops.

Gosh, now my mind's flashing back to Z-RAM & A-RAM. :D

Anyways

12. NightAntilli

Newcomer

13. Jawed

Legend

Is that cooler 3 slots wide or merely 2.5?

14. xEx

xEx
    Regular Newcomer

Lightman likes this.
  15. ToTTenTranz

ethernity and yuri like this.
  16. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Seems like it's the same set of photos JayzTwoCents leaked in his video, but Jayz only showed one of the photos.

It's 2.25 or under, not sure if it could be counted as 2 slots though

Lightman likes this.
  17. Leoneazzurro5

Newcomer

It seems it is, they said the images came from Jayz

18. yuri

Newcomer

So, anybody being able to pixel-compare that naked ES board to this new set of pictures of Navi 21?

Those two screws can be found on the ES board. However, comparing those small elements on the chip back is a bit tough.

Lightman likes this.
  19. rSkip

Newcomer

comparing with the fortnite model

Lightman and NightAntilli like this.
  20. SimBy

Regular Newcomer

Whats the latest on N21 and bus width? Everyone still on the 256bit train? As a contrarian I have to call BS.