AMD: Navi Speculation, Rumours and Discussion [2019-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember looking at a benchmark where Vega 10 was compared to Fiji at similar clocks and b/w and was loosing.
https://www.computerbase.de/2017-08...amm-anno-2205-rx-vega-64-vs-vega-56-vs-fury-x
https://www.computerbase.de/2018-05/amd-radeon-rx-vega-untersucht/2/

Was faster than Fiji same clocks & BW at launch and more so a year after, probably there's cases where it was slower too, but not on average. They do mention Vega would be similar to Polaris based on Polaris being faster than Tonga and Vega being faster than Fiji, though.

At least AMD disagreed when they unveiled Vega
View attachment 4481
This is the best example of quality marketing of Raja's era.

* It's not a mere GCN CU, now it's a new Next-Gen CU!
* Higher IPC, higher frequency, nice!
* Shiny graphics, really simple. In one clock, there are twice that many ops! Twice the IPC!

Reality was a bit different.

We got full-speed 16b packet math and some frequency boost. The IPC gain was really super impressive - about mighty 5% compared to Fiji. I repeat, compared to Fiji, not Polaris.

There were another tests comparing Fiji vs Vega, some of those got negative IPC, some of them got 10% uplift.

Couple other interesting points from Hot Chips presentation:

* "CUs have 25% better perf/clock compared to last gen" - that's compared to GCN so doesn't look like there will be anything more than a single digit perf/clock gain between RDNA1 and 2.
* VRS (tier 2) support is limited to 2x2 coarse shading. Turing supports up to 4x4.

This is my interpretation as well. When they said compared to last gen, I took it to mean the X1 architecture not last-gen RDNA. I think the biggest gains in RDNA2 are in the performance/watt metric. These are the gains that are allowing both MS and Sony to hit console power budgets at 10+ Tflops.

It should bode well for consumer GPU's as I thought the initial Navi products were a little too power hungry.

I think the biggest gains in RDNA2 are in the performance/watt metric.
Hopefully not.
All those +50% efficiency metrics most often come from wider chips working at lower clocks and voltages. In the best case, there are annotations mentioning "iso level of performance", in the worst case there is hype / foolishly optimistic projections and disappointment once final products hit shelves.

Hopefully not.
All those +50% efficiency metrics most often come from wider chips working at lower clocks and voltages. In the best case, there are annotations mentioning "iso level of performance", in the worst case there is hype / foolishly optimistic projections and disappointment once final products hit shelves.
For RDNA1/Navi10 that +50% perf/watt was if anything under estimated number (it was based on Division 2 @ 1440p Ultra, just like RDNA2's claimed +50% is)

Right, and just +40% against Vega 56. Which is what OlegSH is saying.
The claim was never against Vega 56, and we do see in practice those claims on the cards AMD made the claim on and opposed to his post, Navi 10 is thinner and higher clocks than Vega 64

@Bondrewd can you please expand upon your replies and aim for actual replies that progresses the open discussion forward for everyone? As it stands now, the majority of them are seen as meaningless fragments without any factual or source backing. Your posting style is alienating the vast majority of long time users. If you continue on your current path and it becomes a choice between them or you, the choice is obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back