AMD Navi Product Reviews and Previews: (5700 XT, 5700)

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by snc, Jul 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

RTX won't be "usable" with a 2060 super... Hell even 2080ti is only good for like 1080p right now. And it's not a shot at nVidia, it's just the conseqence of being first at a new tech (for gaming). First gen are not usually fast enough.

So, I'm cool with 5700XT not having RT. They are mid level card anyway. I wonder how they will produce bigger gpu with this "bad" power efficiency...

2. Pressure

Veteran Regular

Not sure why hardware accelerated ray tracing is important in a midrange product in 2019. They will get the handle of the technology through the consoles and then release new cards next year that incorporate all that know-how.

3. Love_In_Rio

Veteran

Both of them. 5700xt is similar in performance and wattage to a RTX 2070 and the same with 5700 and 2060. So in both cases Nvidia is more efficient in perf/wat for the node difference(25-30%?).

#103 Love_In_Rio, Jul 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  4. DavidGraham

Veteran

It does very well at 1440p actually. 1080p is 2070/2060S territory.

5. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

Cuthalu and CaptainGinger like this.
  6. Entropy

Veteran

I’m not sure this is the forum for these discussions really, but if I’ll put on my PC game player hat for a moment.
    Blowers have the advantage that they dump generated heat outside the cabinet. They have the disadvantage that they can’t get rid of a lot of heat through the small PCI-slot holes without high air pressure and noise.
    If you have a PC cabinet that focuses on being quiet you will typically have covered front/sides/top to reduce the sound escaping from hard drives and fans. Your airflow will be low.
    A blower cooler suits this scenario as the system will still be very quiet under all conditions apart from max graphics card load. And even when gaming these cards are rarely running full out.
    I’ve been using a Vega 56 blower for soon two years now, and apart from running benchmarks, I rarely hear it. (When I do though, I find it irritating and would appreciate it being more quiet.) I don’t even consider overclocking or running higher heat output cards with my setup.

You believe that the 2060 Super will allow you to ”play with all bells and whistles turned on for the next couple of years”? This requires you to have predictive abilities that would put Nostradamus to shame unless you are talking about 720p at 30Hz.
    The fact of the matter is that we simply don’t know what titles will be produced, or when, or how RT will be utilized for some lighting calculation or what benefits and drawbacks that will bring.

What we do know is that all titles offered on PC will run not only on currently available hardware but on hardware a few years old and a couple of steps down the market ladder. The main benefit of the PC as a platform is that it typically allows you to adjust the rendering parameters to suit your preferences. So a RX5700 or my Vega will be able to play all new titles for the next several years.

Not everyone who is in the market for these cards are rendering technology enthusiast. As a game player I don’t care at all how the graphics rendering is achieved. Why should I? I care about results, performance and the price I need to pay for the privilege of chasing pixels on my screen. Regardless of my future cards abilities I doubt I will use raytracing for much of anything unless efficiency improves drastically. It simply doesn’t enter into my purchase decisions at all.

PSman1700 likes this.
  7. AbsoluteBeginner

Newcomer

Next AMD APUs should be really good. Zen2 is incredibly efficient and Navi upgrades in perf/watt vs Vega are rathwr substantial.

8. PizzaKoma

Newcomer

9. xpea

Regular Newcomer

Said thousand of times, but there is a life out of max/ultra settings. These reviewers are so lazy that people tend to forget this evidence :???:
    Usually, the visual difference between high and ultra is nearly non-existent and you get 20~40% more fps. Lowering few settings here and there by 1 or 2 degrees and everything is playable even with RT at 1080p 60fps on RTX 2060S (in no CPU limited scenario of course)

10. no-X

Veteran

11. SimBy

Regular Newcomer

no-X and sir doris like this.
  12. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular

From GCN tflops efficiency to turing tflops efficiency is really an achievement.

Picao84 likes this.
  13. no-X

Veteran

I think it's even more interesting that AMD is able to fit 2560 stream-processors in 10,3 bil. transistors, while Nvidia needs 10,6 bil. transistors for 2304 stream-processors. If we substract the transistors needed for RT-Cores (3 %), resulting number of transistors (~10,3 bil. for both GPUs) is even closer and make such comparision even more valid.

Anyway, I believe that AMD could have been a bit more bold and use the same configuration as Hawaii: 2816 stream-processors (+64 ROPs), which would be a bit more balanced.

Lightman likes this.
  14. snarfbot

Regular Newcomer

Microcenter has them in stock

15. DavidGraham

Veteran

pharma likes this.
  16. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

In gaming. Because GCN has always been on part & sometimes better than Nvidia's archs in compute workloads (minus the use of Tensor Cores) . From the looks of it Navi switched it up (better at gaming workloads & worst at compute).

17. Love_In_Rio

Veteran

Now the interesting thing would be to know the tdp of both chips at 1,5Ghz.

AlBran likes this.
  18. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

We don't really know anything about RDNA's performance in compute workloads right now.

19. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

And so will a 2060/super. The only difference is that with that card you get the choice whether you want to sacrifice performance for arguably prettier pixels.

Again, as there is little between the AMD and Nvidia cards when it comes to pricing and performance, I wonder why anybody looking for a mid range card would pick AMD over Nvidia.

RT performance looks decent enough on the hand full of games that support it, no? Over time even a steady 30fps at 1080p wouldn't be that horrible for single player games. And if you want that 60fps, turn RT off.

Seems this card should have launched last year.

milk, neckthrough and DavidGraham like this.
  20. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

The few benchmarks results available so far show horrendous performance compared to GCN (could be driver related obviously).