AMD HD 4850 or 8800GT?

I'd personally just pick up the Corsair 550W unit, it's just around the 450W unit. Both are 80 Plus certified. If you're really against rebates then the 450W unit will handle the HD 4850 just fine.

And yes, the system is going to boot with the crap PSU, no real question about that. It's what will happen with a sudden spike in load that is the question.

Doubt anything fatal would happen. Might but it's really unlikely. The system would probably just run fine in all honesty under full load. I still stay if his budget can't afford it try it. Usually if you try to run a PSU that is inadequate the system just wont boot. At least that's what happened in my experience. And I've never encountered a broken components as a result of a PSU failure.

Doubt anything fatal would happen. Might but it's really unlikely. The system would probably just run fine in all honesty under full load. I still stay if his budget can't afford it try it. Usually if you try to run a PSU that is inadequate the system just wont boot. At least that's what happened in my experience. And I've never encountered a broken components as a result of a PSU failure.

I've built, serviced, and sold custom systems since the beginning of this decade. I lost count of how many craptacular PSUs blew up when a real video card was plugged into the machine. It didn't always happen immediately, sometimes it took a few weeks, but it did happen inevitably.

Note: these craptacular PSUs were never of my choosing. The owner of the shop I worked at for a long time insisted upon using only the cheapest internal components, despite the incredibly high failure rate of the PSUs, in particular. He would try different brands, but they were always cheap generic POSes. I saw a "700W" generic POS blow up on about 300W load. PSUs aren't supposed to smoke :p

As for PSUs taking out other components - I've seen far too many fried ATX 12V connectors on mobos for this to be entirely uncommon. Perhaps 1 in 10.

If the OP follows your advice, I hope you'll buy him a new PSU.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've had entire systems go dead.

You do NOT fuck around with PSUs.

agreed. everything outside big brands can't be trusted, I typically advise people to get the Antec and Fortron in the 350 to 400W range to replaced failing or burnt crap. they are more to be trusted than "480W" and "550W" turds and can bear more load anyway.

It does, 780mhz core, 1900 shader and 2200 core clocks. And its still cooler then a stock 8800GT so i could prolly go higher. The 4850 is only slightly infront of a stock GT and my GT at times is higher then a GTX!
So it's massively overclocked? Then a proper comparison would be a factory overclocked 4850.
Btw I dont think ocing can make up the difference in a few games where the RV770 really shines, also keep in mind the RV770 has excellent 8x FSAA performance, which isnt always tested in reviews.
Is this your card? 700mhz core.
So you took your card which comes at 700mhz stock, up from 600mhz nvidia reference, and overclocked it another 80mhz and brag it's faster than a 4850? Wow...
You can get a 4850 for below $150 with M.I.R btw, so your card(which is 199) is actually more expensive than a 4850 at this time, using newegg.

So it's massively overclocked? Then a proper comparison would be a factory overclocked 4850.
Btw I dont think ocing can make up the difference in a few games where the RV770 really shines, also keep in mind the RV770 has excellent 8x FSAA performance, which isnt always tested in reviews.
Is this your card? 700mhz core.
So you took your card which comes at 700mhz stock, up from 600mhz nvidia reference, and overclocked it another 80mhz and brag it's faster than a 4850? Wow...
You can get a 4850 for below $150 with M.I.R btw, so your card(which is 199) is actually more expensive than a 4850 at this time, using newegg.

Mine wasn't $199 and it is faster then a 4850, regardless what ive done to it. I made a statement that my card is fater then a 4850 and it is :rolleyes:

My BFG 8800GT OCX kills a 4850 and its cheaper too!! ;)

Even with that huge overclock I would say your GT is only roughly on a par with a 9800GTX (more fill rate and geometry setup but even on texturing, bandwidth and shaders).

It seems the 4850 is on par or slightely faster than the 9800GTX and so your GT is probably about even with one.

Mine wasn't $199 and it is faster then a 4850, regardless what ive done to it. I made a statement that my card is fater then a 4850 and it is :rolleyes:
Well it's 199 now and that's what counts.
Just because you hate ati, or are overlly proud of your nvidia card is no reason to go around bragging about your last gen overclocked card...
this isnt nvnews

G92 really does clock well. I'd still take a 4850 over an o/c'd 8800 GT though. My primary gaming card is an o/c'd 8800 GT, btw ;)

Newer, better feature list, better/more AA options, more perf. in most titles and potentially better performance (relatively) in later titles.

Exactly, I'm sure a G92 like his could beat a 4850 in games with no aa or 4x fsaa but with 8xfsaa/ customaa filtiers the 4850 would be more desireable i believe.
I use a 640MB gts btw.

Well it's 199 now and that's what counts.
Just because you hate ati, or are overlly proud of your nvidia card is no reason to go around bragging about your last gen overclocked card...
this isnt nvnews

I hate ATI :rolleyes:

I was actually considering a 4850 but this 8800GT that i have was cheaper hence why i went with it :rolleyes:

And you're abit defensive about the 4850? I made a simple comment that my 8800GT was faster ( which it is ) and you get all defensive about it? Well smart arse im not from the US so its not $199, in the UK this OCX version of this GT is actually cheaper then a 4850 so hush. Know the facts before you go blurting crap out.

You say I'm getting defensive? look at you getting all mad over a few comments I made to see where you stand.

It's prolly more expensive because it's a better card btw.

Im getting a new nvidia card soon (gtx260)
a couple of weeks ago I would of 100% chosen the 4870 it has similar performance (b3d readers are dissagreeing on which is the fastest card) and it was much cheaper, but 2 things happened to change my mind.
1st : massive nvidia price reductions
2nd : physx, It could amount to nothing but considering im poor and may have to live with this card for the next 3years I didnt want to take the chance that I would be without it.
Nvidia dev-rel are certainly urging devs to support it even to the point of offering to port their physics to physx

Nvidia's Rod Taylor
"Our argument to those guys that are developing their own engines or using others is that we understand why they've developed their own physics engine, as they may have created something unique or which was wasn't possible with earlier versions of PhysX. We understand that.

However, we have two responses. The first is that if they want us to, we'll help them run their physics engine on the GPU because we can do more complex parallel calculations faster than you can on the CPU. Secondly, Nvidia is taking PhysX very seriously, we have hundreds of people working on it and we are investing heavily in it so developers can be sure that its going to get better and better at a faster rate than many can expect to develop physics independently."

HD4850 imo. The nearest nVIDIA card that it competes with is the 9800 GTX+ so that should be your other alternative, not the 8800GT (which is considered low end nowadays!). The HD4850 slightly edges out the 9800GTX+ at stock, while winning decisively using 8xAA.

NO 8800GT will surpass a HD4850 period since a GTX+ cant do it. The GTX+ has a core/shader/mem clocks of 738/1836/2200MHz. Not to mention its a full fledged G92 core meaning it will be faster than a 8800GT at the same clock frequencies.

The only drawback i can think of is the power consumption and the crap single slot cooler on the HD4850.

Back