AMD Fusion utility roxors!

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by digitalwanderer, Sep 18, 2008.

1. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

AMD just released a neat little utility called "Fusion for Gaming" that you can pick up over at their gaming site, and I'm in love.

I thought it was just gonna be a gimmick, but I downloaded/installed/ran it and benched 3dm2k6 and scored a solid 1000 higher than normal! :shock:

Only ran the one bench so far and haven't played with Fusion yet, just ran the default, but still I'm impressed and look forward to a bit of playing with it. :)

2. digitalwanderer

Legend

More info on Fusion, including the whitepaper tech stuff, can be found over here. :)

3. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Interesting idea. Very useful for most people who run multi-function pcs instead of the old days when we all had special config files to boot our pcs for gaming only.

4. Kurt

Newcomer

Uhm, pass. Not that I own any AMD stuff at the moment :D but anyway, nice try ...
    Overclocking and disabling background services? I mean, this is 2008, I guess AMD must be really desparate.

5. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

Everything about the utility is a user's choice. You choose exactly what you want to disable (services/TSR programs/whatever) and what you want to enable (overclocking/high perf power state/whatever).

Does anyone have more data points? Digi, how's the performance difference on games?

6. Kurt

Newcomer

I guess the overclocking part could work - but only if it's Cold Fusion™

Seriously, this whole thing has to be a marketing gag, right? I mean those who overclock will overclock no matter what, and those who don't (like me), won't. Especially if it voids your warranty.
    This is no different than other overclocking tools out there, from what I can see. Unfortunately I can't testdrive the utility on my Q6600 + 8800GTS :) but I bet even I could squeeze out another 1000 of whatever points by overclocking if I chose to play the benchmark game (and without disabling my AV :roll: too)

7. digitalwanderer

Legend

It doesn't OC, it disables a bunch of windows services and does some "AMD Boost" thing which I'm not sure what it is.

You can use it to OC in conjuncture with AMD Overdrive and CCC, but in basic mode it doesn't play with OCing and that's what I've been using.

Games seem zippier Mord, but I haven't had enough time to test yet.

8. 2senile

Regular

I used the included "expert mode" profile without the overclocking. Ran 3DMark '06 a couple of times & get 40-50 additional marks. It's possible it smooths frame rates, when above 60fps, but I'll leave that to the more knowledgeable crowd to verify.

Agreed. I was rather sceptical but have been pleasantly surprised, particularly as I ran it on XP.

9. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I know lots of people love to feel icky about those background services, but really now. Multicore CPUs are around now, and the cores are just about never pegged in games, so those services aren't going to be hurting game performance. Even when things were still single core, services are IDLE for the most part and at lower priority. Just let Task Manager collect some CPU Time data for you sometime. Only antivirus should be any sort of issue, unless you are gaming on a server or some such! You want a noticeable speed boost? Learn to live without AV entirely.

I hope those who heartily believe in this is aren't hypocritical enough to be against hardware accelerated audio. ;)

10. 2senile

Regular

I'm not getting any boost from services being disable. The boost is coming from something else.

11. Davros

Legend

Is this an ati only thing ?

12. digitalwanderer

Legend

The boost is OCing. It's boosting up most settings except for the clock multiplier.

I'll know more tomorrow and let ya know. :)

13. Kurt

Newcomer

AMD Magic :D

No, seriously, if you can get an additional 1k points in that one benchmark just by temporarily disabling services and maybe C'n'C (I think that's what AMD Boost does, according to the link) then good on you, but I'm not buying it. I looked it up - 1k means about 10% on an average system!

Also what I found funny was the harddrive acceleration thingie, which, I think, must relate to disabling AV - sure that will improve boot and load times and make a slow machine feel snappier but it's also a compromise not everybody is (and shouldn't be) willing to make. So I remain rather skeptical.

As for disabling AV - as long as I'm on Windows most of the time, I'm not going without it. No matter what browser you use, no matter what user account settings etc, you aren't safe anymore. It doesn't matter what sites you visit either. I'm not paranoid and I don't believe AV will safe me, but it's till better than nothing at all.

PS: OK, so it seems established that it's mostly overclocking after all :)

14. digitalwanderer

Legend

It's more like 8% on my system, but close. Still, better than a kick in the nuts any day. :yep2:

15. Blakhart

Newcomer

I would rather see them actualy fix the stuttering from smp systems.

16. Kurt

Newcomer

Actually it could be worse than that. If you believe AMD's disclaimer.

For the record, I'm not averse to overclocking for philosophical reasons, I just don't do it because I don't see the need for it (yet) and most of the parts are still under warranty. Maybe in a year or so I might bump the Quad up to 3.0GHz and give the videocard a little nudge too and see how far it takes me. So far I'm good.

17. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

If the overclocking is being done by an AMD program it's not going to void your warranty. Also times when overclocking (not raising voltage) will cause failure is virtually none. Disabling system processes is hardly an issue while gaming as long as the program also returns them to normal once you're done. Really a centralized program that could do that would be very useful in my opinion. I never cared to do it on my own simply because the benefit wasn't worth my personal time, but allow me to set it up once and hit a key from then on and you've got me interested.

As for AV, disabled while gaming is hardly an issue. This coming from a person who has no antivirus on their system, and yes I use Windows and no I don't have a virus or spyware on this computer.

18. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I used to do the same. Until I had a couple computers infected by a virus while I was gone over the weekend. I used to leave all my computers on 24/7 back then. I only leave my server on 24/7 now.

Anyway, both of those computers were just sitting idle with no applications open, no applications running (other than basic windows services) and each got infected.

Prior to that, never once in over 2 decades of computing had I been infected.

Now days, I won't do without antivirus protection on any machine. It's actually quite interesting going to various websites to see which have potentially malicious code waiting to exploit any unpatched/unprotected windows system.

Just for snots and giggles, I also run an unprotected virtual machine to see how many of those websites actually will infect your computer with a virus/trojan just by opening the website. Again, it's rather surprising how many can and do.

So, yes if this utility disables the Antivirus, that would be a much bigger no-no for me, than if it overclocked anything. Although overclocking is something I generally avoid like the plague. I've had too many Intel and AMD CPUs die a premature death due to overclocking. As well a few sticks of memory. NOTE - this is dying over a period of 1-3 years of use. Whereas I still have non-overclocked systems going strong 5-15 (yes 15) years after I've built them.

Regards,
    SB

19. 2senile

Regular

It doesn't disable AV on mine & while I accept that the overclocking portion (if enabled) will provide better results I'm 100% sure that my s939, RD580 NB, ULi SB, locked ATi overdrive 3850 system is not being overclocked.

The small consistent boost I've seen in 3DMark '06 is not from overclocking or disabling services. I've isolated those. Being a little reckless I did a warm reboot, not allowing the utility to restore to the original state, to find the improvment still occurred without having to run the utility again

I was rather hoping somebody here would be interested enough to find out just what the utility was doing. Perhaps some alteration in the Registry?

I'm not evangelising the utility, would not recommend it's use to anybody not comfortable with tinkering with services or reg' settings & it will shortly be uninstalled but I'll definitely have a look when a non Beta XP certified version becomes available.

Looking at the supplied profiles it's only the "expert mode" software configuration that gives me a slight cause for concern but it can always be edited.

20. Kurt

Newcomer

What makes you say that?

It's a gamble. It still voids your warranty. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't say on AMD's site whether or not the utility changes voltages. It would be interesting to see how many people RMA because of overclocking. This is speculation on my part, but I think a higher percentage than are willing to openly admit. Kind of like with software piracy :D

I agree, it could be useful, if it had any actual merit. However, I though this whole disabling business belonged in the dark ages of Pentium II's and Windows 2000. Reading about it these days and on an enthusiast site as this one makes me chuckle. When I saw digitalwanderer's post gushing about the utility I found myself interested. After I had read the page on AMD's gaming site I had to re-read his post again to check if he was not just being sarcastic.

http://jeremiahgrossman.blogspot.com/2008/09/cancelled-clickjacking-owasp-appsec.html
    Fresh article, I found via Heise.de. If you browse the internet you may inadvertently harm you computer. No two ways about it.

In the end it's up to everybody what they do and don't but a little objectivity in the matter doesn't hurt. :)