AMD, Flash and Radeon HD 3000

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by swaaye, May 4, 2012.

1. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I have a subnote with a discrete Mobility Radeon 3410 and Athlon Neo 1.6 GHz. It has never had Flash acceleration and this has been unfortunate because the CPU is so slow.

I just discovered an old forum thread mentioning that Catalyst 9.11 was the one and only driver with Flash acceleration on discrete 3000 series products. I had to get the desktop version and use Mobility Modder, because there's no archive of Mobility Catalyst drivers, but this driver does indeed provide accelerated Flash decode and rendering.

Playback stats show occasional frame drop but it's not noticeable. I'm going to have to try this on the 3850 at work and see how it performs.

2. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

in contrast the feature just works on a G86 8400GS, under linux. but I've previously had quirks on previous OS version, with all firefox fonts looking funny. I'm still disabling it for now as my X2 at 2.9GHz just decodes anything.

but I'll think again about enabling it, when I change the cooler on the 8400GS and thermal paste on the CPU. my computer will be less crappy.

glad you could get it working.
    I had the sempron LE-1100, 1.9GHz 256K, plus overclock, I believe it's the same die as your athlon Neo.
    I thought that CPU was awesome, it ran so cool the fan would stop spinning. I almost regret it but had to upgrade for the Athlon II X2 to keep sanity in some tasks.

3. swaaye

Legend

Yup I've found that anything NV that's newer than G80 works great for Flash.

So far while Cat 9.11 works on both my notebook 3410 and desktop 3850, sometimes Flash drops back to software decode during playback. It mostly works though. Without this Flash assist, the Athlon Neo can not play 720p Flash smoothly.

It seems ATI uses their Stream tech to accelerate Flash. There must be something quirky about RV6xx that made them abort the effort.

4. ltcommander.data

Regular

Hasn't AMD's Stream strategy solidified around OpenCL? Currently Stream and OpenCL are only supported on R700 and up, so as AMD made the transition to OpenCL, R600 support for Flash acceleration probably fell to the wayside.

5. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

whatever API their video decoding or ehnancement uses, it's an internal thing that the consumer isn't supposed to know about (and does not know about).
    it's just that they don't have the manpower or will to expend money and resources in supporting their hardware for longer.

I wonder where that leaves users with a radeon HD 3000? (sic. 760G chipset, still being sold). what about a radeon 4200 chipset, is it a R600 or a R700? (or something in-between, I believe to remember it's something of a "directx 10.1 R600")

BTW I wanted a mobo with 980G chipset but it was cancelled. (no big deal)

6. Davros

Legend

enabling flash acceleration on my p4 3.0 and 7600gt does nothing to reduce cpu usage and its very high 90+% and thats standard definition

7. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

my criterion for knowing if a PC is fast : can it play youtube?
    once upon a time, it was running counterstrike or quake 3 at 60fps, or playing divx (which looks better than youtube) but playing flash video is exponentially heavier :)

8. swaaye

Legend

As I said, must be newer than G80. That's when the NV VP2 hardware showed up with full H.264 decode. G80 still had VP1 like your 7600, which only does partial decode of H.264.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo#Table_of_PureVideo_.28HD.29_GPUs

9. swaaye

Legend

http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases/Pages/amd-accelerates-flash-player-2009nov17.aspx

I get the feeling that Cat 9.11 wasn't supposed to support the HD 3000 cards for Flash, judging by the date of this release and the list of supported hardware.

10. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

accidental driver support :lol:, isn't that funny. back in the days nvidia accidentally released a driver that enabled geforced 7 "specific" features on geforce 6. but as this was duely noted they had to keep them.

this allowed me to play far cry 1 with anti-aliasing on foliage. it looked awesome and the game was loads of fun.