AMD Expands The Ultimate Visual Experience Combining Exceptional HD Graphics, HDTV

Discussion in 'Press Releases' started by B3D News, Jun 26, 2008.

1. B3D News

B3D News Beyond3D News
    Regular

<div style="text-align: center;"> <span style="font-weight: bold;">AMD Expands The Ultimate Visual Experience Combining Exceptional HD Graphics, HDTV, and HD Video for PCs</span><br style="font-weight: bold;" />

One-of-a-kind ATI All-In-Wonder HD takes the home theater PC to new levels of TV enjoyment and graphics quality <br />

Sunnyvale, Calif. June 26 , 2008 AMD (NYSE: AMD) today expanded The Ultimate Visual Experience for North America with the ATI All-In-Wonder HD; combining award-winning ATI Radeon Premium graphics and ATI TV Wonder HD tuner technology card in one PCI Express 2.0 solution. As the newest multimedia powerhouse to join the long line of All-In-Wonder offerings, ATI All-in-Wonder HD transforms the PC into a highly immersive digital video recorder for HDTV[1] and analog TV, plus expands the realm of exceptional gaming with cinematic HD graphics for mainstream PCs.; Blu-ray disc playback can be enjoyed in full HD glory (1080p) thanks to ATI All-in-Wonder HDs unified video decoder (UVD) technology, ensuring movies play back smoothly and with incredible detail2. <br />

Read the full PR item

2. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Woot, woot. Welcome back, AIW. :)

Does anyone know if this is likely to also result in support for older X1k AIW under Vista?

3. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

I wonder if there's any chance they'll bring back higher performing parts. It would seem that this is going to be a midrange performance part ($199).

4. ShaidarHaran

ShaidarHaran hardware monkey
    Veteran

Given the dynamic nature of the world of GPU performance and the frequency with which enthusiasts replace their high-end graphics cards, I'd have to say the chance of that is nearing zero.

5. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

That was always the case before, I don't think the full feature set (AIW) is really all that expensive. I think a 4850 AIW might be very attractive to a lot of people, with the potential price point still under $350. The potential transcode performance of the 4800 series could be very appealing in an AIW format card.

6. ShaidarHaran

ShaidarHaran hardware monkey
    Veteran

I know, that's why ATi killed it off ;) It was popular in the early days of rasterization before true programmable shaders really took off, but things just started advancing too quickly for ATi to design and qualify AIW SKUs during any given product cycle. By the time the AIW card you wanted was out, the next generation of GPUs was already knocking on the door.

Expensive compared to a high-end GPU? Probably not. Compared to a mainstream or mid-range GPU though I imagine the relative percentage of the BOM would increase to the point where most of the cost becomes the PCB and necessary tuning hardware.

I agree, but think the price would need to be kept under $300 to maintain enough appeal to justify its existence.