AMD Dual-GPU boards and Quad-Crossfire, here we come!

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by Arun, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Arun

Arun Unknown.
    Moderator Legend Veteran

According to <a href="http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5436" target=_b3dout>Dailytech</a>, Sapphire is set to demonstrate a Dual-Radeon X1950 Pro (aka "The Godfather") at the upcoming <a href="http://www.cesweb.org/default.asp" target=_b3dout>CES 2007,</a> which basically is a two-chips board that uses the Crossfire functionality of ATI's standard drivers to work properly. They claim it'll be available in Q1 2007 and earlier than R600, so if the price is appealing that might make it an interesting announcement by itself, but the really big news is that memos from the company indicate that this board will be runnable in Quad-Crossfire mode when coupled with another identical product.

This offering is similar to the earlier products such as the GeCube X1650XT Gemini 2, but that one didn't work in Quad-Crossfire mode (or at least wasn't announced as being able to do so), and it was a lower-end offering. Both are based on the RV570 core, or more precisely the RV560 variant of it for the Gemini 2, as both codenames correspond to a single physical chip; the RV560 nomenclature is used to differentiate parts with defective pipelines, and they are thus sold at a lower pricepoint with only 8 TMUs and 24 ALUs.

It seems unlikely to us that Quad-Crossfire will be used with ATI's upcoming R600 core, as the chip is most likely about twice as big as the RV570 already. A later 65nm refresh/derivative or R7xx appearance would seem more likely.

2. Thorburn

Regular

Having used Crossfire, SLI and Quad-SLI I have to say this is a total nothing product in my opinion.
    Looking at pictures of it it'll be too tall for most cases. Crossfire and SLI are flakey enough with two cards, scale it up four and the issues seem to increase to a far greater degree than the performance. Whats more its not even based on the high end part, its the X1950 Pro, at least the 7950GX2 had a full complement of pipelines compared to the 7900GTX even if they were clocked lower.

3. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Well, if I'm AMD and Intel hates me and I don't necessarily want to have regular CrossFire goign in NV boards, or might be afraid if NV might stop me from doing so, then I'd probably like to be able to have quasi-CrossFire that can work nearly anywhere.

4. elroy

Regular

So what does this say about the availability of R600 then? If it were going to be available soon then surely this card would not be released?

5. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Quadfire most definitely intrigues me! :D

6. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

How do you figure? You're not expecting R600 to rough this offering up pretty handily performance wise?

7. chavvdarrr

Veteran

8. Rufus

Newcomer

9. Thorburn

Regular

Well, that an Asus, the other pictures are a Sapphire

10. NIB

NIB
    Newcomer

Dual x1950pro will be presented on january ~10, so my guess is that it will take some weeks or even months before it gets out on the shops. And by then r600 wont be out? So we are almost 100% sure about a february launch, or maybe later, for r600?

I mean ok, everyone kept saying that a january release of r600 wasnt likely but i always had hope. This is killing almost any hope that i had. I just wish r600 will be at least 25%+ faster than g80 on every single benchmark while costing the same. But somehow i doubt this.

I want to make a new computer damn it and all i am waiting is r600. I dont want to buy g80 since nvidia screwed me with their fx series and even though g80 is an awsome card, i'd rather get an ati card if i have the option. This is payback for the whole fx fiasko :p.

I find it funny how nvidia is wondering "why doesnt g80 sell like crazy? Its a kickass card, it has decent price yet it doesnt sell as much as we were expecting". No it isnt because people want to see r600 before making a dx10 buying decision. No it isnt because there arent any dx10 games. Its because of all those high end/early adopters who got screwed with the dustbuster(and the rest of fx series) not buying nvidia. Revenge is sweet :p.

I hope this will teach nvidia to respect their customers.

PS Sorry for the antinvidia rant but i had to let some steam off.

11. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

"Gemini" configurations being presentated at the moment are AIB play only. AMD have provided software to AIB's, with support of the bridge chip, and what you are seeing is at the AIB's discretion and own interest.

12. Thorburn

Regular

That doesn't make sense really, I doubt people would especially hold a grudge for the FX series, and some of ATI's later efforts such as the X1800 and X1900XTX's weren't much better noise wise....

I just buy whatever is the best card I can afford.

13. Bob

Bob
    Regular

With that attitude, I hope you're praying to [strike]ATI[/strike]AMD on a daily basis that they don't screw up. After all, you'd be stuck with Intel integrated graphics forever after!

It's been 4 years. That's eons in the graphics world. Give it a rest.

14. Arun

Arun Unknown.
    Moderator Legend Veteran

On a related note, here's an interesting tidbit on the subject that I only stumbled upon recently...
    This quote certainly puts things in a quite interesting perspective:
    Originally, when I first saw this video, I thought it was a really devious way to insult those who actually purchased the product. Given the above context, though, it's certainly a fair bit more fun than I thought it was back then :)

Uttar

15. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

16. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Given AMD is providing a bridge chip and software support, it can be rightly called an "AIB play only" in a very limited sense, it seems to me. Sure, I get your meaning --there isn't an official AMD reference model per se. But one would be justified in thinking there is at least enough interest there to be dipping toes in the water, with the real possibility of a bigger splash to come down the road somewhere.

17. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Actually, the bridge chip isn't provided by AMD.

18. Jawed

Legend

This bridge chip is nothing more than a PCI Express router chip, isn't it?...

Jawed

19. NIB

NIB
    Newcomer

I am not talking so much about the hardware of the fx series. Sure, fx cards were underpowered(or at least they perfomed worse than ati ones on most modern games) and noisy but that wasnt what pissed me off. The problem was how nvidia leadership/marketing handled the whole issue.

If r600 sucks, i will get g80(or maybe g81? ;) ). But the thing is that if i have a choice between ati and nvidia(assuming both cards have similar perfomance/price), i will choose ati. At least for this round. I really hope nvidia learnt from past mistakes. I dont buy gpu very often(i have a x800 xt pe right now) so this is perhaps my only chance to show nvidia that they made a mistake.

Btw i am not a ******. I suggested tons of people to get 7900gt back in the day when x1900xt was +80euro more expensive. Ati makes good cards but they fail to scale their products/prices effectively. Nvidia rules when it comes to mid end perfomace(7600gt) and high end value(7900gs/7900gt). By the time ati makes a decent offer for those markets(x1650xt/x1950pro/cheap x1900xt and x1950xt), the game is over.

#19 NIB, Dec 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2006
  20. satein

Regular

If the board used 2 of the RV570 those were integrated the crossfire bridge to the GPU, I don't think AMD have to provide any bridge chip to the AIB for designing the board.

An interesting point to note on Sapphire Gemini board is that there appears the 2-crossfire bridges on the card, which I see non on the Asus design!! Thus, this could indicate any possibility on quad-cross-fire (4 GPU) setup :cool: