AMD Demonstrates Enthusiast 4x4 Platform

Arty

KEPLER
Veteran
From Dailytech:

During the event, AMD stated end-users should be able to pickup a pair of 4x4 compatible processors for under $1000. Previously, AMD had claimed that the 4x4 platform would be limited to the FX series processors only, and currently all FX series CPUs are priced at least $500.

Good to see that they are not limiting it to the FX series only.

Two X2 5000+s under $700*
Two X2 4600+s at $550*

*Wishful thinking.

:?: They say that it is FX only. Or do you mean they left it open by not saying much more than what was already said?

There was no mention of Athlon 64 X2 compatibility in 4x4 systems or details on the motherboards.

Alstrong said:
:?: They say that it is FX only. Or do you mean they left it open by not saying much more than what was already said?
I stand corrected. :oops: Note to self: Leave my speed reading skills at door when reading news that can cause excitement.

Techreport has more details:
Fortunately, AMD has listened to feedback from the enthusiast community on this issue, and has pledged to sell a range of two-CPU bundles for 4x4 with price tags that extend to "well under $1000." Beyond that, many of the details of AMD's 4x4 plans are either undetermined or not yet ready for prime time. All of these processors will carry the Athlon 64 FX brand name, but AMD was not willing to discuss details like clock frequencies or L2 cache sizes for these new FX chips. We asked about the prospects for 4x4 capable versions of AMD's Energy Efficent Athlon 64 X2 CPUs, and AMD's reps said only that they'd consider the possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hum, 2 "4x4" CPUs for $1000. That's an awful lot of cores; 4x4=16, 16x2=32. Great value for money I have to say! :LOL:

a 4x4 car ( == 4WD) doesn't have 16 wheels :)

as for limited to FX or not, I never seriously heard of it limited to athlon FX, from beginning other high end CPUs are supposed to be compatible I think (such as the 5000+).
I guess this won't be the standard version though (same difference as opteron 2xx vs 1xx)

I've heard this would mostly benefit server usage. Realistically, how much could this benefit gaming? I mean, are we talking the same margin of benefits you'd get by running SLi or XFire instead of a single card as long as the software support is there?

Back